What a buck!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What a great morning. Got into position about 1/2 hour before legal shooting time. I was only there for about 15-20 mins when I could hear a deer walking in the ice crusted leaves off to my left. I kept looking and looking for it as it was coming closer slowly but surely. Finally just at legal shooting shooting time I saw it above me working through the huckleberry bushes head down. I could barely make out the front sight. I had the hammer cocked and waiting for a clear shot to pull the set trigger and then touch off the shot from my Renegade /.58 GM PRB shooter when he picked up his head and showed me his beautiful rack. I had to let him pass as I had already filled my buck tag earlier in archery season and only had an anterless tag. But what a bruiser. I hope he's around next year. I'll have a tree stand set up in that area. If I'd had known it was a big buck I would have had my phone out to take his pic.
Not long afterwards I heard my buddy that was sitting about 300 yards to my right shoot. I waited about 15 mins or so and worked my way over to him only to see him standing over a nice fat doe. I walked down the hill and retrieved my ATV and we loaded it up on the rack.
I love morning like this.

Love that feeling of anticipation waiting to see whats approaching after hearing it coming . I dont care if its shootable or not the excitement is worth it. That being said its been weeks since something come my way and Im out 3 times a week every week . Sure wish I would have shot the last one I passed on thinking I had plenty of time left in the season :bang:

I'm on my way home from Raleigh. I will be on my quad and sitting like a ninja by 4. Sure hope the same heard walks out like yesterday. Either way I will enjoy it. Love the outdoors and all the gifts it gives.

Love that feeling of anticipation waiting to see whats approaching after hearing it coming . I dont care if its shootable or not the excitement is worth it. That being said its been weeks since something come my way and Im out 3 times a week every week . Sure wish I would have shot the last one I passed on thinking I had plenty of time left in the season :bang:
I'm usually good for a buck and at least one doe each year. 2021-2022 though was a horrible year for me. I only saw 2 deer all season. The first was a fat doe I let walk as it was going to go right past my grandson. It went out of sight and then I heard her blowing! I guess she caught hm with his pants down! The second was what I thought was a doe that I drew a bead on and ready to drop the hammer when it looked at me and I saw the little spikes. He was off limits with the antler restrictions in place. Still, it give you a rush.

Latest posts

Back