What a CVA Paramount could have been

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
This is a bergara Remington 700 clone very excellent timing, very happy with the action, yes the same begara that makes barrels and Paramount,, it has an 18 twist Brux, number 17 contour hankins plug Hankins brake. The barrel has been a little more finicky than some of my others it really likes the 270 grain sharp point Northern precision bullet and as you will see in the picture it shoots a 325 aeromax and a 350 grain aeromax quite well , bottom group is the 325 the top group is the 350 62 grains of 4198 in the bottom 61 grains of 4198 IMR in the top I pulled one shot out of the top or it would have just been one whole still not too bad five shot groups,, hope to compete one day with this rifle and 84 grains of Black Horn I'm glad it likes that 350 grain arrow Max little bit more recoil when you get behind it but not too bad,,, you know what's amazing is if I want to shoot the blue spaceship power belt I can,, CVA can build a Paramount like this and still sell their own bullets just too bad they won't reconsider that

Attachments

• IMG_20220409_143220135.jpg
    IMG_20220409_143220135.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220409_133108452_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220409_133108452_HDR.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 47
Thank you,, you know them 45 smokeless they're easy to shoot!! They're not too finicky are they?

This is a bergara Remington 700 clone very excellent timing, very happy with the action, yes the same begara that makes barrels and Paramount,, it has an 18 twist Brux, number 17 contour hankins plug Hankins brake. The barrel has been a little more finicky than some of my others it really likes the 270 grain sharp point Northern precision bullet and as you will see in the picture it shoots a 325 aeromax and a 350 grain aeromax quite well , bottom group is the 325 the top group is the 350 62 grains of 4198 in the bottom 61 grains of 4198 IMR in the top I pulled one shot out of the top or it would have just been one whole still not too bad five shot groups,, hope to compete one day with this rifle and 84 grains of Black Horn I'm glad it likes that 350 grain arrow Max little bit more recoil when you get behind it but not too bad,,, you know what's amazing is if I want to shoot the blue spaceship power belt I can,, CVA can build a Paramount like this and still sell their own bullets just too bad they won't reconsider that
Awesome post, great point & very nice shooting. I remember that gun, it really is beautiful & incredibly accurate. Thanks for the post & pics

I doubt we will ever see a production sml ever again. Too many user mistakes with the Savage rifles. It was cheaper for Savage to pay off suits and discontinue than to pay lawyers and I don't foresee anyone else jumping in the fire.

The good news is there are some fine rifle builders out there who will build us pretty much anything we can afford.

You're welcome ,,maybe bergara CVA would comment I'm sure they've got a company representative that's about to join modern muzzleloader
I know I'm naturally a bit cynical, but I'm pretty sure that whatever we'd hear out of a Rep is going to be at least 99% HOGWASH. But I'd agree, I'd be interested to hear that hogwash bc of what I'll learn about them from it.

I doubt we will ever see a production sml ever again. Too many user mistakes with the Savage rifles. It was cheaper for Savage to pay off suits and discontinue than to pay lawyers and I don't foresee anyone else jumping in the fire.
Sad but true I'm afraid.

Well for a rifle that shoots like that with a barrel for about $400 shipped that's a deal. I just looked on their site and I just may order one for one of my 700mls. I was thinking of the hunter contour. Mint is there any other info I would need for Brux.
My 700 has a Badger Ridge 209 conversion but I don't think that has anything to do with the way the barrel is threaded onto the receiver. What about head spacing?

Last edited:
I have not converted a 700 mL, only regular 700s , I do have a Badger Ridge conversion 700 ml it shoots so well I don't have the heart to rebuild it into a smokeless,, I've never been tempted to convert a 700 mL myself 700 regular is just too easy with Arrowhead or Hankins modules. And there are many Barrel options plus the Builder can always just order the barrel either shoulder installed or barrel nut installed either full Shank or smaller and have the breech plug installed later a lot of options.

Bronko:
In the beginning of conversions, the 700ML was very popular. Conversion parts were available from several sources. Most of that has dried up due to fewer 700ML's available and paranoia over barrel ruptures in the 10MLII. People think they are safer if they have bolt lugs, although I never saw a photo of a rupture going past the breech plug. You will probably need a different bolt nose kit as well as a different breech plug from either Hank or Arrowhead. A good machinist/smith can set the headspace much like they would do a centerfire.

Latest posts

Back