What a winter?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HC

Reaction score
I sure hope nobody freezes in the next few days.

Sure is odd how weather patterns change across the Country, This has been BY FAR the mildest winter so far that i have witnessed in my 8 years of living here in North Idaho, It has been Cold, But not much snow to speak of, We normally have 3 ft or more this time of year here in town, with 6-7 Ft happening fast up on the hills just out of town. I would Say we have about 8” or so right now is all, Temps have been Down in the 20s pretty much steady all Winter, which is normal.

We have some crazy cold on it’s way. Kids school has been closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Daytime temps of -27. And that’s not even counting the windchill! Unbelievable.

We have some crazy cold on it’s way. Kids school has been closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Daytime temps of -27. And that’s not even counting the windchill! Unbelievable.

GEEZ! It is 25 here right now. I had a Woodstove installed in my Basement this fall, Sure love this thing! I can get it Cranking out the heat. My Basement is unfinished, All concrete down there, So it really isn’t near as efficient as it could be, But this is a little House so it works out good.

Stay safe in that Cold!! We don’t have that much longer to go til Spring!

-15 with a chill factor of -43 this morning here in central Indiana. Several people are without power.

We were at -33 at 4AM, but have warmed all the way up to -27 now at 8:30. Rochester sit in a huge depression so its always colder here than outlying areas. The windchill at the moment registers -59 degrees. Schools are shut down. Postal deliveries including mail are suspended today. No newspaper deliveries today. The third busiest street in the city runs right in front of the house and I have seen perhaps twenty vehicles in that last two hours. We have a huge amount of private closures here too. Gotta love Minnesota. When it comes to winter, we have it all.

The wind has come down big time from yesterday. Its still blowing hard enough to move tree limbs and blow snow from roofs but at least it isn't gale force like yesterday. It sounds like we'll have another 36 hours or so of this lovely stuff then back to near 40 by Saturday....that's near 40 above on Saturday.

Yeah Tom this is crazy! I read somewhere that this is the coldest statewide temps in MN since 1886.

I was up throughout the night checking on this and this was at 3:45.

upload_2019-1-30_9-10-24.png

upload_2019-1-30_9-10-48.png

That is REALLY Cold! We get below Zero every year here, Usually a week or 2 of it. And about 20 Below being the Coldest I’ve ever seen, not counting wind chill. It’s a Cozy 17 here right now :D

There are times i wish we had a Bigger House than this little 1 Bedroom, But Winter is NOT one of them times! With this new Kuma Tamarack Woodstove in the Basement, i can keep it a nice comfy 70 Degrees up top with the Draft just barely open :)

You all stay safe out there!! Reminds me of when I was stationed in S. Dakota 70-74....
Its 29 above here right now wind chills in single digits an minus -0 wind chills tonight, but supposed to be in 60's next week. Crazy mother nature!! o_O

Central Minnesota has some really bad issues going on right now. There's an apparent gas leak or shut-down from Princeton well into western Wisconsin. Lots of chatter about frozen septic lines and drain fields. Black ice has a couple major routes into Duluth/Superior real dicey for travel with one of the two big bridges closed last night because of the black ice. So far were doing ok and not planning to go out. The van stays in the garage but its not heated so I'll need to go run it for a while. Its a fairly new [6 months] vehicle so I'm not too concerned. A person never gets used to this kind of cold, but they sure learn how to adapt.

In this kinda cold always make sure to let the motor warm up really well. It makes a big difference on wear&tear getting oil upto operating temps before driving it. Use synthetic if you dont already.

We live in the Princeton school district and have received emails from the schools and from Xcel the gas company. Urging people to turn there furnaces down to 60 and not use gas appliances to conserve natural gas. Xcel also bought out the hotels in town for customers that have lost heat. This is crazy. We are ok cause we heat off propane and wood pellets but we have friends of ours that are effected. Stay warm!

Wood pellets and propane also here in South Central MN. Just hoping we don't lose electric power. Suppose to get all the way up to -20 degrees today. Truck won't start. I guess we're paying for the mild weather we had for most of January.

We're all the way up to -18 degrees now. Ma and I went to Red Lobster for lunch. Home now and not headed out again until tomorrow.

The thread title is eerie. On Saturday night a guy was dropped off two doors down from his sister's home only a block from us. He didn't have a key and couldn't wake anyone in the house or any neighbors. He was found Sunday morning froze to death on the back patio. The news said he'd been to the bars [of course] with friends who dropped him off. Apparently his friends picked him up so he didn't wear a coat [now this is winter in Minnesota remember] and when found mid-morning on Sunday he wasn't wearing a shirt. His name sounded almost Somali but who knows why he was dressed that way. One would think that the first places they lock down when we get weather like this is where anyone might lose contact with reality.

I just shake my head at the senselessness of things like this happening. His death has been ruled as accidental hypothermia.

Heat wave today, +10 now and expecting 20 s today, yeah!

50 degrees at noon, yeah. Thank the Lord, we needed a break.

Its gotten to 44° here today so far and its a God Send! That -25° with -50° wind chill was crazy.
I guess we all wish the same, but do I ever wish I'd have put a steel roof on this house instead of shingles.
Started removing 2' of snow with 5" of crystalized snow under it 2 days ago. Did the back side of 70' with a 6/12 pitch. Enough for one day.
Yesterday I did the front, which has two valleys because of the garage.
I'm tuckered out. That's a young man's job down the road.
Even using the Minnsnowta with many extensions, its tough work. Just glad we got it completed before it warmed.
https://www.minnsnowta.com/

Back