What a winter?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you keep that crap over there. Almost all our snow is finally melted except for ditches and where piles were. Ready for spring!

Make sure you keep that crap over there. Almost all our snow is finally melted except for ditches and where piles were. Ready for spring!
Most of the open fields around here... were.... pretty open and full of whitetail feeding all day. The woods however still have enough snow that I can't get through the lanes with the Ranger to check the neighbors place, which I've had to do all winter by road. Unless we get some really warm weather, I'll have piled snow I'll wager until May. Been a nasty winter. As usual, I won't get on the club's range any time soon, maybe even later this year. Sure glad I have my own 100-150yd range.
The Great Lakes water levels are great though. Down below, they're just tearing up the monster walleye in the Detroit River. Friends were on it the other day and on their 1st pass, netted 17 walleye over 5#, which were all returned to spawn. They only keep males and limited in short order and before noon. Inland season starts the last Saturday in April here.

Most of the open fields around here... were.... pretty open and full of whitetail feeding all day. The woods however still have enough snow that I can't get through the lanes with the Ranger to check the neighbors place, which I've had to do all winter by road. Unless we get some really warm weather, I'll have piled snow I'll wager until May. Been a nasty winter. As usual, I won't get on the club's range any time soon, maybe even later this year. Sure glad I have my own 100-150yd range.
The Great Lakes water levels are great though. Down below, they're just tearing up the monster walleye in the Detroit River. Friends were on it the other day and on their 1st pass, netted 17 walleye over 5#, which were all returned to spawn. They only keep males and limited in short order and before noon. Inland season starts the last Saturday in April here.
Most of the inland lakes here in south lower Mich are ice free except some of the deeper spring fed ones. Ive been hearing good reports about walleye catches from everyone. This rain should get rid of the last of the ice. Snows been gone for days.

Most of the inland lakes here in south lower Mich are ice free except some of the deeper spring fed ones. Ive been hearing good reports about walleye catches from everyone. This rain should get rid of the last of the ice. Snows been gone for days.

Well..……… lol you boys down below have it pretty easy. Yeah, the Detroit River is HOT with the walleye bite along with Lake Erie. Saginaw Bay also.

However...… the lake up here is finally starting to open, with about 1/4 of it open yesterday (8,850 acres). The following photo was taken this morning (4-18-19) on the north end.

HL ice 4-18-19.jpg

On my way over to Buffalo Arms this morning, There is an area on the way over called the “Rock Cuts” about 2 miles of it, The entire 2 mile stretch looks just like this, a Solid Wall of it, Actually WAY more ice on most of it. Every Spring when it starts to Thaw there is BIG Chunks of this stuff that ends up in the Highway. I have witnessed LOTS of it Fall

01d05jL.jpg
Wow, I just saw this and what a slick pic. We don't get to see scenes like that much down here in Texas.

Latest posts

Back