what broadhead will you be using for deer this year ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NAP Spitfire 125s for the last several years, on kinda heavy arrows. I started with the NAP Shockwave, but the Spitfire doesn’t use O rings to keep the blades closed during flight.
Never had a problem with flight, penetration, or lethality. Killed my first ever archery deer on a HORRIBLE hit at 10 yards from the ground (got both iliac arteries just in front of the hips, and it ran off about 20 yds and laid its head down. Never got up.)
Lesson learned: I will not shoot at walking deer anymore.

tooth of the arrow are awsome fixed blade out of my crossbow. i have used gream reaper before and they are deadly
Never heard of em. Have to check them out. Just took a look. Those babies look tough. One of the most important attributes that a broadhead needs is toughness and durability. Thanks for the tip. Might have to give em a try.

Last edited:
The Tooth of The Arrow heads are fantastic. I blew through several ribs and buried one in solid bone on a big AZ bull elk last year and was still able to recover the bull. That head is almost reusable but one blade is slightly bent. Not many other heads would hold up to that kind of abuse. I’ve also used Slick Tricks for years and love them too.

Never heard of em. Have to check them out. Just took a look. Those babies look tough. One of the most important attributes that a broadhead needs is toughness and durability. Thanks for the tip. Might have to give em a try.

TOT's have a lot of fans .
I'm leaning towards the sever robusto , they're supposed to be very accurate and their all SS construction is supposed to be very durable . The screw to lock the blades for practice use will be much easier on the BH target and allows practice with the actual head I'll be hunting with and the pivoting blades seem to not just be marketing BS.

But the grim reaper pro whitetail special/extreme with 3/4 blades and a huge cut diameter get a lot of luv on the crossbow nation forum along with the severs ..... and there's a lot of NAP spitfire fans there too and they're $25 a 3 pack at bass pro right now .

TOT's have a lot of fans .
I'm leaning towards the sever robusto , they're supposed to be very accurate and their all SS construction is supposed to be very durable . The screw to lock the blades for practice use will be much easier on the BH target and allows practice with the actual head I'll be hunting with and the pivoting blades seem to not just be marketing BS.

But the grim reaper pro whitetail special/extreme with 3/4 blades and a huge cut diameter get a lot of luv on the crossbow nation forum along with the severs ..... and there's a lot of NAP spitfire fans there too and they're $25 a 3 pack at bass pro right now .
Thanks. I Will check those out.

well .....just don't mistake me for someone who actually knows what they're talking about .

i've read a lot and watched a bunch of videos and i'm not willing to pay top dollar for premium broadheads and i want the bigger holes that a mechanical can provide . everything isn't for everybody ;)

I know that most of us are on a budget but please don't cheap out on the most important part.
You've got a decent bow, good arrows. Don't buy the cheapest broadheads. You'll regret it later on.

that why i keep going back and forth between the sevr and grim reapers .
i'll call GR tomorrow and see if they have the GR pro series WT extreme in stock
https://www.crossbownation.com/threads/grim-reaper-whitetail-extreme-125-grain.98886/#post-1202334
and if not i'll order the WT pro series specials . they are the same except for having three blades with a 3 inch diameter .
1663200057721.png

the quicker the deer expires the less it will suffer .
thanks Deermanok and to all who replied :)

if i get one i'm sure i will never forget it . steve has a older doe with white coming up it's chest that chases away the spikes and bucks and he would like to have it gone . i really hope to get it for him . i'd like to get over to my ladies family farm (100+ acers with 100+ head of cattle) out in Bland county before gun season in november and FWIU that place is loaded . that's when the optima comes into play . but if i get that doe for steve i'll try my X-bow there before then . steve is my ladies bro-in-law and also gave/lent me the optima and he has been beyond nice to me ever since this dumb butt city slicker moved up here almost 5 years ago so i do anything i can for him .

Back in the day I killed javelina with the old Bear broadheads with the razor insert, and they worked quickly. My experience is that a broadhead often kills faster than a bullet. I have no doubt that today's broadheads are even more effective.

Grim Reaper Pro Series Crossbow 125 grain 3 blade. I used them last year for the 1st time and they worked flawlessly. Through and through at 37 yards both lungs. He never made it 50 yards and was down. I really like that they came with a practice head which flew just like the broadheads.

went to bass pro yesterday and picked up two packs of grim reaper pro series whitetail specials .
i called GR and they said the whitetail extremes wouldn't be available for 2 weeks :( . Didn't notice till I got home that I got the 100 grain version but at a estimated 390ish fps on deer I'm not worried about FOC .

Pathfinder did you use a vertical bow or a crossbow ? If a crossbow did you dental band them ? Your experience echos a lot of other comments I've read on forums .

thanks to all who posted here :)

Back