What Bullet is everyone using ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a high velocity rifle!
And a 45-70 is far from a modern round.

My intent isn't to ruffle anyone's feathers! In my opinion and in my experience ( and not from this forum, I spend very little time here) a lot of the people I've run across are driven to use the lightest round and the heaviest charge possible to achieve the fastest velocities that they can( and there obviously free to do whatever they see fit) I choose to use a heavy bullet with only 70gr of BH209. I have had incredible luck with this setup and almost always have a huge exit, which is what I want! I haven't seen the bullet failures with this heavy powerbelt bullet that I have seen and experienced with the lighter ones they offer. For me they have mushroomed and retained most of there mass and plowed right through to a huge gaping hole!

I use a lead .430 305 grain hollow point from GT bullets and a green MMP sabot. I buy them by the 500 so I get a lot of good shooting. With 100 gr. of T7 I get 2 inch or less groups at 100 yards. Thats the max distance I can shoot where I hunt.

the reason it does come apart like others you've seen is because your powder charge is below 100 gr equiv of BP or other subs, when you start seeing those bullets come apart is when you are using charges over 100 gr by volume.. all they are is a big lead conical with some plating on them.. I wouldn't pay over a buck a piece for them when you can get the same type of conical as stated earlier for 50.00/100.. powerbelts are pretty but no better then a plain lead conical.

the reason it does come apart like others you've seen is because your powder charge is below 100 gr equiv of BP or other subs, when you start seeing those bullets come apart is when you are using charges over 100 gr by volume.. all they are is a big lead conical with some plating on them.. I wouldn't pay over a buck a piece for them when you can get the same type of conical as stated earlier for 50.00/100.. powerbelts are pretty but no better then a plain lead conical.

Strange!
I used there .348gr bullets with 90gr of triple seven and they came apart every time, It was awful!

They are just like a plain lead conical except there not, they have a coating of copper and load super easy without using a hammer to seat them, and the .444gr simply flattens the deer!

I used the 348 gr powerbelt to kill a large buck and doe with 95 gr pyro RS and both exited with huge holes..the coating of copper on them is very thin and serves very little purpose other then to sell a pretty bullet.
I dont know what kind of lead conicals you've had to hammer down your bore but they must not of been the right size, all mine go down barrel with 20# or less of pressure.All powerbelts are is big lead conicals with a very thin copper coating, they kill just the same as plain conical bullets as long as powder charges are below 100 gr, been proven over and over.
Ive heard the 444 gr powerbelts are better in terms of not coming apart but have never used them.

The conicals i shoot i can load with fingers and a thumb. No short starter is needed even when .002 over lands. Its a combo that has worked for ages. Big lead shot slow works great. Under 50 cents a bullet at Bullshop shipped to your door.

Hate, no. I just dont have a need to pay close to $2 a piece for something anyone can get for under 50 cents each. I can buy a sizing die and buy other bullets even cheaper but that is more enthusiast oriented. Not something a typical ML owner would even know about. Over the time of a few seasons the cost difference would pay for the die i can keep using for many more years.

I just dont understand the concept of paying more and getting less for my money. Its not logical or productive as far as i can tell. A Speer 50cal 325gr HP is well under 50 cents a pop. How is it they can sell a similar bullet for much much less that holds up just fine at 1800fps?

$16.99/50
($0.34/Bullet)

The Fury 50cal sabotless BONDED .015 jacket bullet is $50/50
GetImage

case in point!
Exactly, but I don't hate them when they make great expensive sinkers. Many have known since those bullets first hit the market that they were over priced and it wasn't, "if but when" a failure would happen. There are sooooooo many other, cheaper and better bullets to chose from. I believe that can be witnessed by the responses left, which prompted your reply.
If they work for you, that's great.

Hate, no. I just dont have a need to pay close to $2 a piece for something anyone can get for under 50 cents each. I can buy a sizing die and buy other bullets even cheaper but that is more enthusiast oriented. Not something a typical ML owner would even know about. Over the time of a few seasons the cost difference would pay for the die i can keep using for many more years.

I just dont understand the concept of paying more and getting less for my money. Its not logical or productive as far as i can tell. A Speer 50cal 325gr HP is well under 50 cents a pop. How is it they can sell a similar bullet for much much less that holds up just fine at 1800fps?

$16.99/50
($0.34/Bullet)

The Fury 50cal sabotless BONDED .015 jacket bullet is $50/50
GetImage

Maybe I make 150,000 a year and I like spending money on useless bullets that never kill anything.
How do these bullets open up going 1400fps?

Maybe I make 150,000 a year and I like spending money on useless bullets that never kill anything.
How do these bullets open up going 1400fps?
To about the size of a silver dollar if were talking about the conicals they are trying to turn you on to .

Yep and ive been eyeing them up too !!!
I used them (.50cal star tips) last year and a 3.5yo went down never knowing he existed.
They are very good hunting bullets and a lot of guys are shooting the .452" ST2's from their non smoker rifles.
I have boxes of new higher quality long range bullets, but the Fury's will be with me again this year hunting. 6 more days and the general season opens :)

I used them (.50cal star tips) last year and a 3.5yo went down never knowing he existed.
They are very good hunting bullets and a lot of guys are shooting the .452" ST2's from their non smoker rifles.
I have boxes of new higher quality long range bullets, but the Fury's will be with me again this year hunting. 6 more days and the general season opens :)
You in Michigan ???

Back