What Bullet is everyone using ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing, the sectional density of a 45cal 346gr and a 50cal 444gr are close. My 45cal loves 70gr of BH209 by volume and that bullet.

.451/346gr= .243 and .253@360gr
.500/444gr=.254

Seems to shoot ok too i guess. 5 shots.
vh8gr5N.jpg

The 460gr does a little better with 80gr though. I think this was just 3. Cant remember.
ApwGBUX.jpg

Here is 2015 paper if interested, but main reason lead will eventually be phased out (on public land) is lead bullets left in gut piles kills eagles & condors.
Good research on your part . Saw the chinease one , not Pennsylvania's . You forgot the lead amalgymum (sp?) dentist filling research that is a little bit harder to find some truth on by governing bodies . Youll be amazed when you do and realize they care more for animals than they ever have for you . Several different chealates exsist for human useage , each works for different exposesures . EDTA is one that they(established $$$$) like it kept quiet . AMA included . Or they attack it . Keep digging , its discovery has been a monumental one that medicine and its $ machine wish you knew nothing about .

This is about what that 346gr would look like at a 100 yard impact using that load.

Cant dig up a rated BC but im using .213 which might be close enough for this distance.
At 1150fps MV this bullet should still have 800FPE at 100 yards
At 1300fps MV this bullet should still have 1000FPE at 100 yards
At 1400fps MV this bullet should still have 1070FPE at 100 yards
The bullet weighed 346.5 grain.
IMG_2621.JPG

The bullet now weighs 343.8 grain
IMG_2620.JPG

This is about what that 346gr would look like at a 100 yard impact using that load.

Cant dig up a rated BC but im using .213 which might be close enough for this distance.
At 1150fps MV this bullet should still have 800FPE at 100 yards
At 1300fps MV this bullet should still have 1000FPE at 100 yards
At 1400fps MV this bullet should still have 1070FPE at 100 yards
The bullet weighed 346.5 grain.
IMG_2621.JPG

The bullet now weighs 343.8 grain
IMG_2620.JPG

I actually have some .444 bullets at work that I retrieved, I'll fish them out and pass the pics along.
That looks very similar to my results.

No lube needed but you do have to get the hang of sizing unless you get lucky and they fit your bore correctly. Conicals i get come lubed and ready to shoot. They are far more forgiving on sizing. All you need are wool wads or cheap veggie wads to try. Fiber wads are dirt cheap too. Like under $10/500 cheap. Using Swiss or T7 its pretty simple. BH209 is a bit more fussy but its works fine for me in my rifle.

I shoot mostly 45s so my bullet choices are huge vs a 50cal. The point im making though is you dont have to pay a fortune to get great performance. There is no reason a $1-$2 plated bullet should not perform as good or better than a cheap Speer. When i pay a premium price i expect premium quality no matter how fast i want to shoot it.

What are some choices when it comes to heavy conicals?

Bullshop bullets are some of the best and cheapest. I think he still offers a 420gr and a 440gr on the lighter end. The 465gr is very popular.

I believe that what ever bullet / powder combo shoots the best for you and it makes you confident is what you should be using. BUT there is NO way I would be paying what they want for Power belts not when I can order better conical from Bull Shop @ $38 + shipping per 100pcs. for a pure lead conical and believe me they shoot great and sure makes for a BAD day for any animal in North America. I also like the .430 300gr XTP in the smooth green sabot with 85gr or 90gr of BH 209. But to each his own GOOD luck to everyone this season and remember be safe and wear your safety harnesses so you live to shoot and hunt another day.

Two RemBrux .45 cal 700ML's will be loaded with a Bear Creek Ballistics 285 grain all copper ball point
taF6xRY.jpg

Two Apex 45 cal's will be loaded with 275 grain all copper Barnes XPB
3KGcEbG.jpg

Every thing else gets a 250 grain Barnes all copper TEZ in a Harvester smooth black sabot
iXYL08I.jpg
Wow those bear creeks look GOOD !!!!! Im thread #46 here , you may have just found / given me my new bullet !!!! Please look at what i got going on and give me YOUR opinion , please and thank you !!!! I KNOW you did for my new cf build 45 Raptor !!!!!!

Last edited:
Lots of reasons we should go to copper bullets especially if your gun shoots them well (and legal to use sabots)...

For elk, my TC likes Barnes 290 grain TEZ or TMZ with thinner sabots ( I think I have linked to source here before, if not, remind me and I will post it). Since I usually hunt elk and mule deer at the same time, I don't use the lighter 250 grain bullet much anymore.
I personally hate powerbelts. I simply could never get good groups, but know many folks that like them (esp. in state that do not allow sabots). So instead of using them for sinkers, I gave them to my friends.
Terminal ballistics of PB is not much better than lead, esp at high velocity...
Anyone feeding wild game to children should read this presentation from Minn DWR...
Pay special attention to "Tips for hunters" (pdf)
Restrictions of lead bullets on public land is already in many places, and is coming everywhere...

I cannot think of a more sure way to get my ire up than when a bunch
of dogooders start talking about banning lead bullets. The Minnesota study was slanted, they had their conclusions reached before even doing the study. The lead that messes people up is lead in the water supply or lead dust in the air. Then they bring up eagles and babies to tear at peoples heart strings. Cripes, there are more eagles killed by wind turbines than by ingesting lead. If they try to take my lead bullet away I will let them have it.
So there.....

Last edited:
I cannot think of a more sure way to get my ire up than when a bunch
of dogooders start talking about banning lead bullets. The Minnesota study was slanted, they had their conclusions reached before even doing the study. The lead that messes people up is lead in the water supply or lead dust in the air. Then they bring up eagles and babies to tear at peoples heart strings. Cripes, there are more eagles killed by wind turbines than by ingesting lead. If they try to take my lead bullet away I will let them have it.
So there.....

Totally agree there are more birds killed by wind farms then probably all the pesticides/lead put together..far as that goes more raptors are killed by cars then just about anything, no one rushing to ban those?

Wow those bear creeks look GOOD !!!!! Im thread #46 here , you may have just found / given me my new bullet !!!! Please look at what i got going on and give me YOUR opinion , please and thank you !!!! I KNOW you did for my new cf build 45 Raptor !!!!!!
Thanks for the pm
According to Bear Creeks ballistic chart i would have about 1000ftlbs @ 400yds from being launched @ 2250 and i think i better that by a little bit . After tbis deer season testing will begin . My scope dials up so no problems there . Guys these bullets are lookin pretty sweet !!! Buckdoehunter sent me pics and the damage on target(deer) was brutal In and out !!!! Remember thats why i love a 300 win mag too . Id never heard of Bear Creek Ballistics but so what !!! If you saw the ballistics and buckdoehunter's pics youd be smileing too !!! These bullets ROCK !!!!!

Last edited:
What exactly do I look for when sizing my bore for the correct conical size using the caliber sizing pack from no excuse?
Or should I just use a pin gauge?

View attachment 6023

Thanks,
Any experience with these?

My vote is, and always will be Bullshop. 1, Because i have hands on experience with them, They shot so Well for me that i sent an Original Bullshop Bullet to Accurate Molds and had it Copied, It is 1 of my TOP DOG .50 Cal Bullets. 2, Bullshop Dan is who Taught me the importance of Bullet lube, and how it can DRASTICALLY effect Accuracy, He wasn’t trying to sell me anything, He GENUINELY Helped me, Dan is a straight up good guy! And lastly, I weighed The Bullshop Bullets from Dan, They were All within 1 Grain of Eachother, Awesome Quality Control, Another BIG DEAL to me. If i am Gonna Burn the Powder to Test a Bullet, i want those Bullets to ALL be IDENTICAL to eachother

Open/Peep Sights, My Bullshop “Copy” Bullet, This Bullet will do this EVERYTIME out as long as i do my Part
RmbERdil.jpg

The ONLY experience i have with No Excuses Bullets is Doing a Lead Hardness Test on them, Which i did for 2 Concerned forum members here that sent me Bullets to Test with my Cabin Tree Lead Hardness Tester. In Short, The No Excuses had failed a Bullet Test here. Myself, and a few others suspected they were HARD (like an alloy) and NOT pure Lead, And that is PRECISELY what i found when i Tested them, There were HARD Bullets mixed in with Soft Bullets from the Same Box, Which is a BAD DEAL!! anyone that knows much about Lead Bullets, Knows this is HORRIBLE for Accuracy, Hard and Soft Bullets Can Group Differently, VERY DIFFERENTLY.

The Thread on the Above can easily be Found here, I even Did a YouTube Video on it. In the Video i show you how to Spot a “Hard” Bullet by the Sprue Cut.

In Defense Of No Excuses Bullets, Dave (Owner) Joined the thread and was More Than Willing to Replace Bullets that ANYONE suspected was Hard, and I believe he did so? He claimed to of gotten a Batch of Hard Lead by Accident? He was Willing to make it Right with Customers, KUDOS to No Excuses Bullets for doing that :lewis:

If i were to purchase Lead Bullets from ANYONE, I would like to Know if they are Weighed, and Sorted? What Tolerance can I expect? Do you take care in Protecting the Bullet Bases? REMEMBER, It is the Bullet Base that Steers the Bullet, NOT the Nose! I personally Except NOTHING but PERFECT Bullet Bases. I was taught this By 2 WORLD Champion BPCR Shooters

There is a Reason That Buffalo Arms Ships Their Swaged, Cupped Base Paper Patch Bullets in these Boxes, They are INDIVIDUALLY Protected. What happens if Lead Bullets are Tossed in the Same Box and Allowed to “Roll around” and Bang against eachother? They get Dinged up! Buffalo Arms/Bitter Root bullets addresses that issue here :lewis:
Fm7IydDl.jpg

Back