What Bullet is everyone using ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my load I use all the time 200 grain shockwave pushed by 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 shot 2 deer and 1 Coyote first deer was head shot dropped right there,second was 127 yards right behind the shoulder went all the way through ran 15 yards,the coyote was DRT (dead right there ) at 88 yards,This load will stay under 1 inch all day long when I do my part,and it kills.

qX72XMu.gif

Sorry, couldn't help it

I LIKE IT,I try to get the most accurate bullet powder combination I can,then put the bullet in the right spot that will do it every time,and I will go to range here at the house and shoot till I get the smallest group possible ,I just like making smoke and shooting.:elmer:
Nothing better then DRT. I do quite the same at the range. I must admit though sometimes I do a fair amount of experimenting. Shot more different bullets than I can count.

Yes and so have I,I keep going back to the same thing,low recoil and it kills,I think the more we shoot the confidence we get in our self,and our ammo that enable us to make neck shots and head shots,I practice at 50 75 100 and 125,it seems to help when the moment of truth is at hand,now I must admit I don't get much of a blood trail but they never go beyond 20 yards,and many time I watch them go down.Alot of times they are DRT.Good hunting.

For those of you who prefer Shockwaves, let me say I believe they are extremely accurate and consistent bullets. I am also glad they have worked for you, and that you have confidence in them.

That said, my neighbor has used T/C Shockwaves since he started muzzleloading with an inline, and he is in his 60's. He is not a bad shooter by any means. I converted him to BH209 from Pyrodex two years ago, but he would not consider changing bullets; he is a good man, but he is very set in his ways, as we all can be. His hunting load became 90 grains BH209 and a 250 grain Shockwave. I have personally chronoed his load at 1,732 fps at 5 yards.

Every...single...season, even before he switched to BH209, including this season, he has called me to help him and his wife track one, or more, wounded deer. Few of his tracks are less than 100 yards through fairly thick stuff. Without fail, he loses at least one deer per season...every, single, one, despite an inordinate amount of persistence, skill, and (unfortunately) practice in tracking. This year we lost a six pointer he shot at about 85 yards or so, after two days of tracking.

The last buck he shot this year exhibited an absolute failure on the part of the bullet to expand, whatsoever. We took an unfired Shockwave and placed it in the wounds in the ribs on both the entry and exit sides of the deer, and the bullet just fit both holes. Luckily for him, his shot was right in the boiler room, and cut the top quarter of the deer's heart off. We both believed that had it not been for the shot placement, the deer may have gone further than the 40 yards it did. Maybe this is because he doesn't have enough velocity to expand the bullet ~100 yards, which is the normal distance of his shots, as he hunts a powerline. In the end, I just don't know.

He and I take high percentage vital organ breadbasket shots, not neck or head shots due to the low margin of error for neck and head shots. I could shoot a marble at a deer's head and kill it, so I BELIEVE (and this is just my BELIEF, nothing more) that what a bullet does when you don't make the best shot is what separates the best bullets from the rest. One day, we all make a less than stellar shot, and that's when the bullet's performance makes all the difference. All the practice in the world means nothing at that point, although I am a big believer in practicing until you drop.

Anyway, I say all of that to say that he FINALLY asked me to let him try some older 250 grain Bloodlines I have, because he is sick of losing deer. He has seen what they do in my kills and just can't ignore their fantastic terminal performance any more. I have used 250 and 220 grain Bloodlines on the last nine deer I have harvested, and all but one have died within easy line of sight; the only reason I could not see the one I could not was because he took two bounds into a briar laden cutover and expired.

Just my two cents.

For those of you who prefer Shockwaves, let me say I believe they are extremely accurate and consistent bullets. I am also glad they have worked for you, and that you have confidence in them.

That said, my neighbor has used T/C Shockwaves since he started muzzleloading with an inline, and he is in his 60's. He is not a bad shooter by any means. I converted him to BH209 from Pyrodex two years ago, but he would not consider changing bullets; he is a good man, but he is very set in his ways, as we all can be. His hunting load became 90 grains BH209 and a 250 grain Shockwave. I have personally chronoed his load at 1,732 fps at 5 yards.

Every...single...season, even before he switched to BH209, including this season, he has called me to help him and his wife track one, or more, wounded deer. Few of his tracks are less than 100 yards through fairly thick stuff. Without fail, he loses at least one deer per season...every, single, one, despite an inordinate amount of persistence, skill, and (unfortunately) practice in tracking. This year we lost a six pointer he shot at about 85 yards or so, after two days of tracking.

The last buck he shot this year exhibited an absolute failure on the part of the bullet to expand, whatsoever. We took an unfired Shockwave and placed it in the wounds in the ribs on both the entry and exit sides of the deer, and the bullet just fit both holes. Luckily for him, his shot was right in the boiler room, and cut the top quarter of the deer's heart off. We both believed that had it not been for the shot placement, the deer may have gone further than the 40 yards it did. Maybe this is because he doesn't have enough velocity to expand the bullet ~100 yards, which is the normal distance of his shots, as he hunts a powerline. In the end, I just don't know.

He and I take high percentage vital organ breadbasket shots, not neck or head shots due to the low margin of error for neck and head shots. I could shoot a marble at a deer's head and kill it, so I BELIEVE (and this is just my BELIEF, nothing more) that what a bullet does when you don't make the best shot is what separates the best bullets from the rest. One day, we all make a less than stellar shot, and that's when the bullet's performance makes all the difference. All the practice in the world means nothing at that point, although I am a big believer in practicing until you drop.

Anyway, I say all of that to say that he FINALLY asked me to let him try some older 250 grain Bloodlines I have, because he is sick of losing deer. He has seen what they do in my kills and just can't ignore their fantastic terminal performance any more. I have used 250 and 220 grain Bloodlines on the last nine deer I have harvested, and all but one have died within easy line of sight; the only reason I could not see the one I could not was because he took two bounds into a briar laden cutover and expired.

Just my two cents.
That was worth more than 2 cents !!!
I like to push my bullets as hard as i can till accuracy falls off . Even so i noticed the same thing way out there with those shockwave/hornaday bullets !!! No more for me !!! I like recoil so i shot those shockwave/hornady 300 gr jobs HARD . Same results .
The best preformance ive had DONT come pre--packaged with sabots !!!
Doing it the pre-- packaged way is expensive and nobody learns anything about bore to projectile fit . THAT MATTERS !!! GOTTA measure it !!!
Makes fellas get weird about cross sectioning a bullet to see what makes it tick too . OMG i'll waste one and have an extra sabot of unknown true fittment . Fooey !!!
Then its wondered why accuracy or bullet preformance is bad . Ya gotta put something into it to get something out of it you NEED . False economy ruins much .
Wet newspaper , SOAKED WET NEWSPAPER , is an EXCELLANT test medium for bullet preformance !!! Fill a garbage can with folded newspapers and fill with water . Stack em horizontally out of the can and shoot them in the off season . Find your mushroom or not inbetween the layers . A little effort goes a long way......

Last edited:
I gave up on Shockwave's years ago for the same reason. With my load, they fly well but don't open. pencil through, very little blood trail. 300gr non-magnum XTP's now....couldn't be happier.

I have heard many stories about the lacking performance of the 250 Shockwave/SST, but I can't back that up as I always used the 300 grain in .50 or the 200 grain in .45. Never had a deer go more than 40-50 yards and easy enough bloodtrail that even I could follow it being colorblind.

I now have a NEF Sidekick that shoots the 250's into a ragged hole @ 100 yards. However, I am also trying the .429 270 Deep Curl and will be getting some .452 300 Deep Curl to try to get the same accuracy and have bullets that I KNOW will expand.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my post regarding the Shockwave bullets. I know everyone seems to have anecdotal stories about this or that bullet; I am only speaking of what I have seen, not personally experienced with using the bullets, as I have only ever personally used Barnes or Bloodline muzzleloader bullets on game.

I didn't mean to imply they didn't work at all, as some of you have clearly had great success with them!:lewis:

I apologize if I offended anyone with my post regarding the Shockwave bullets. I know everyone seems to have anecdotal stories about this or that bullet; I am only speaking of what I have seen, not personally experienced with using the bullets, as I have only ever personally used Barnes or Bloodline muzzleloader bullets on game.

I didn't mean to imply they didn't work at all, as some of you have clearly had great success with them!:lewis:
I think your fine . Inconsistantcy is something that folks have experianced with them . Lot to lot variation ? Who knows . I only know ive had failure to expand and i'll put the powder to em too . Once was enough for me , even though i tracked for 3 1/2 miles and found bullwinkle . No more !!!!

Ive posted before about using the GT Bullets .430 255 grain hollow point and .430 305 grain hollow point with MMP sabots. We killed two deer in the past week with the 255 grain hollow points and 100 grains of T7 in pellet form. Both deer were lung hit and went only 50 yards. A blood train that required no looking just following. At the impact site there was lung tissue all over the surrounding trees. Lot of fur also.

I use two bullets. I have pushed them using 95-110 grains of blackhorn.

300 grain speer deep curl and recently started testing the barnes 209 flat base version.

I quit using the .430 300 grain xtp part number 44280 with 85 grains of BH209 due to loss of deer. The final straw was shooting a nice buck at 10 yards and having a pile of fur and skin with fat on the ground but no blood trail. I could only figure that the bullet didn't expand. I have been using barnes 250 grain TMZ and the terminal performance has been amazing.

Never had that problem with the .452 300 gr XTP, have killed at least 5 deer with using 85-90 gr of pyrodex rs and none of them ran farther then 60 yds..good blood trail with exit hole about quarter size or a bit bigger, lungs/heart were mush. Have had the same results with the 240 gr xtp and have killed a ton of deer with them at distances of 7-8 yds to 165 yds.
Have killed a few deer with the 200 gr SST and pretty much same results quarter sized exit and good blood for no more then 50 yds.
Best blood trails have been by far with big lead conicals, massive short blood trails that look like they were done with a sprayer.

I tried to recall how many deer and coyotes I have taken with this combination,BL 209 100 grains,200 grains Shockwave.I think 16 or maybe 18,the only deer I hit and didn't recover till the nexts morning was my fault,my buddy used this rifle on a special Deer hunt got 3 I called and ask him if they ran far, no he 15 to 25 yards.I use the Knoght disc extreme during Rifle season and muzzleloading season,I prefer it to my 243,now I wouldn't take it elk or moose hunting ,but for Deer never had a problem.

Yep, lots of folks condemn the 250 grain SST bullet. Some claim it fails to expand and "pencils through" the animal. Others claim the same bullet fragments and fails to penetrate: Assuming that velocities are constant, it can't do both.

i've used the 250 grain SST bullet on dozens of wild hogs and about 40 deer. This hog measured over 19" through the shoulders, the bullet was found under the skin on the opposite side.

tQrkE6tm.jpg

Recently i killed two hogs with one shot. The 250 grain SST bullet penetrated the shoulders of a 225 pound hog and a 200 pound hog. The bullet exited.

rdZCrG9m.jpg

Back