What Bullet is everyone using ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of reasons we should go to copper bullets especially if your gun shoots them well (and legal to use sabots)...

For elk, my TC likes Barnes 290 grain TEZ or TMZ with thinner sabots ( I think I have linked to source here before, if not, remind me and I will post it). Since I usually hunt elk and mule deer at the same time, I don't use the lighter 250 grain bullet much anymore.
I personally hate powerbelts. I simply could never get good groups, but know many folks that like them (esp. in state that do not allow sabots). So instead of using them for sinkers, I gave them to my friends.
Terminal ballistics of PB is not much better than lead, esp at high velocity...
Anyone feeding wild game to children should read this presentation from Minn DWR...
Pay special attention to "Tips for hunters" (pdf)
Restrictions of lead bullets on public land is already in many places, and is coming everywhere...

Lots of reasons we should go to copper bullets especially if your gun shoots them well (and legal to use sabots)...

For elk, my TC likes Barnes 290 grain TEZ or TMZ with thinner sabots ( I think I have linked to source here before, if not, remind me and I will post it). Since I usually hunt elk and mule deer at the same time, I don't use the lighter 250 grain bullet much anymore.
I personally hate powerbelts. I simply could never get good groups, but know many folks that like them (esp. in state that do not allow sabots). So instead of using them for sinkers, I gave them to my friends.
Terminal ballistics of PB is not much better than lead, esp at high velocity...
Anyone feeding wild game to children should read this presentation from Minn DWR...
Pay special attention to "Tips for hunters" (pdf)
Restrictions of lead bullets on public land is already in many places, and is coming everywhere...
I know they are and i also use them , but not exclusively . Fact is if a person will chelate themselves every few years there is really not much danger . Actually the fillings they put in your teeth are ALOT more dangerous to your health . E.D.T.A. (etheylene diamine tetra acetate) was discovered when we invaded Berlin in WWII . it was developed by Jewish scientists for Hitler as a means of dissolveing arterial plaque for LONG LIFE for the Nazi regime . It works !!! And it also removes lead from us too along with several other heavy metals . Just FYI . Oh yea , it also is effective on some cancers as well . You also DO NOT AGE for a few years after a course of treatment . DIY , avaiable at better health food stores . Sorry for off topic episodes ...again.....

Maybe I make 150,000 a year and I like spending money on useless bullets that never kill anything.
How do these bullets open up going 1400fps?

The Speer was made for 50A&E. Works great at 1400fps. Just like the Gould 350gr i shoot at around 1300-1400fps....Basically flawless. Knight sold that bullet with 54cal rifles for ages. Must be some reason one of the most respected men in modern inline history included them with his rifles. It wasnt like the MK was a speed demon or anything. Max load back then was maybe 1550fps tops with a 325gr and Pyrodex.

Pretty nifty for a 34 cent bullet.
wQix1HU.png

cchTDVk.png

The Speer was made for 50A&E. Works great at 1400fps. Just like the Gould 350gr i shoot at around 1300-1400fps....Basically flawless. Knight sold that bullet with 54cal rifles for ages. Must be some reason one of the most respected men in modern inline history included them with his rifles. It wasnt like the MK was a speed demon or anything. Max load back then was maybe 1550fps tops with a 325gr and Pyrodex.

Pretty nifty for a 34 cent bullet.
wQix1HU.png

cchTDVk.png

If I were plinking I certainly would buy something a lot less expensive, but I shoot maybe 3 or 4 rounds with my muzzle loader a year, two or three at a target to make sure everything is lined up and one to whack a deer! It would save me pennies. Do those bullets require any type of lube?

If I were plinking I certainly would buy something a lot less expensive, but I shoot maybe 3 or 4 rounds with my muzzle loader a year, two or three at a target to make sure everything is lined up and one to whack a deer! It would save me pennies. Do those bullets require any type of lube?

No lube needed but you do have to get the hang of sizing unless you get lucky and they fit your bore correctly. Conicals i get come lubed and ready to shoot. They are far more forgiving on sizing. All you need are wool wads or cheap veggie wads to try. Fiber wads are dirt cheap too. Like under $10/500 cheap. Using Swiss or T7 its pretty simple. BH209 is a bit more fussy but its works fine for me in my rifle.

I shoot mostly 45s so my bullet choices are huge vs a 50cal. The point im making though is you dont have to pay a fortune to get great performance. There is no reason a $1-$2 plated bullet should not perform as good or better than a cheap Speer. When i pay a premium price i expect premium quality no matter how fast i want to shoot it.

45cal bullets have always fit in a 45cal bore. ;)

The variety of .450, .451 and .452 bullets is massive vs .500-.502 bullets. I just took Tom Post at Swinglock to make it simple. :D

When i bought my Kodiak .45, everyplace i went said sorry, we only have .50. that was before everything was on the web tho. I didn't know about casting my own either.
Yep most of the time i gotta dig really deep on a subject before i ever find the good stuff . Convience is what comes in shiney packages for those that dont know.....or sometimes even care

I get it, you guys hate Powerbelts.

Not hate, just complete disinterest. Kinda like a homely fat girl. I wouldn't date her when there's so many cuter ladies to choose from. In my Vortek I shoot 300 grain PT Scopion Gold's in a black Harvester Crush Sabot with 109 grains (76 by weight) of BH 209. Slightly under 1 inch groups at my sighting in distance of 80 yds. Now that's good looking

Not hate, just complete disinterest. Kinda like a homely fat girl. I wouldn't date her when there's so many cuter ladies to choose from. In my Vortek I shoot 300 grain PT Scopion Gold's in a black Harvester Crush Sabot with 109 grains (76 by weight) of BH 209. Slightly under 1 inch groups at my sighting in distance of 80 yds. Now that's good looking

I realize this isn't a three shot group, but this is what I do to make sure the scope hasn't moved prior to hunting season. If the rifle is on I'm done shooting, then I go hunting and whack some deer! Distance is 100 yards.image.jpeg

I realize this isn't a three shot group, but this is what I do to make sure the scope hasn't moved prior to hunting season. If the rifle is on I'm done shooting, then I go hunting and whack some deer! Distance is 100 yards.View attachment 6013
Good shot . Right now youre youre young . I guess you dont feel the need to expand your horizons with alot more shooting time and this "combo" of things you do now satisfies you . Lol , things will change , and IF your teachable ...at all , so will your views on much id guess . From this experianced , helpfull group available here youve expressed a non intetest in bettering your options . Good with me . Maturity will eventually find its place . The epitome truly isnt right where things are at present . I can guarentee that . I too once was scheduled for revalation unknown to me . Sink or swim comes to us all . The smart thing to do is pay attention while at the pool , just in case ya might need the education . The deer you "whack" deserve at the least that . Im done .

Last edited:
Good shot . Right now youre youre young . I guess you dont feel the need to expand your horizons with alot more shooting time and this "combo" of things you do now satisfies you . Lol , things will change , and IF your teachable ...at all , so will your views on much id guess . From this experianced , helpfull group available here youve expressed a non intetest in bettering your options . Good with me . Maturity will eventually find its place . The epitome truly isnt right where things are at present . I can guarentee that . I too once was scheduled for revalation unknown to me . Sink or swim comes to us all . The smart thing to do is pay attention while at the pool , just in case ya might it need ihe education . The deer you "whack" deserve at the least that . Im done .

That's cute,
I'm a hunter, I don't care about throwing lead down range for the sake of doing so. Dead is dead, so that's about it.
Thanks for the young compliment, I turn 53 in a few days.

That's cute,
I'm a hunter, I don't care about throwing lead down range for the sake of doing so. Dead is dead, so that's about it.
Thanks for the young compliment, I turn 53 in a few days.
Glad you found your answers.....

I realize this isn't a three shot group, but this is what I do to make sure the scope hasn't moved prior to hunting season. If the rifle is on I'm done shooting, then I go hunting and whack some deer! Distance is 100 yards.View attachment 6013

Looks good. I tried PBs but 3 inch groups out of my gun. Ok but not confidence inspiring. All MLs are different. Finally found my sweet spot with my setup. I shoot less than 20 shots per year.

Looks good. I tried PBs but 3 inch groups out of my gun. Ok but not confidence inspiring. All MLs are different. Finally found my sweet spot with my setup. I shoot less than 20 shots per year.

3 inch grouping would not be ok with me either, even the .444gr bullet I'm using with varying BH209 loads changed quite dramatically for me. At 70gr the combo started drilling the bullseye so that's where I left it.

Back