What Bullet is everyone using ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Speer is no longer offered. Well not that exact bullet anyway. The new one is a UniCor. You can tell by the base. Its not cupped like a GoldDot/DeepCurl/UniCor. Every plated Speer bullet i have has a slightly cupped base. Im still waiting for Grafs to get them back in stock to compare them to the old 260gr. Looks like a great cheap bullet. They are under $13/50 at Grafs when they have them.

I stay on that PRB life mostly. I've used PA conicals to great effect as well as the 385gr plains bullet. Has anyone used any of the Richmond Lab conicals in their CnB pistols?

I guess I could be labelled a "Traditionalist"! Just finished my Kibler Woods Runner, in .54 caliber. So I've cast up a bunch of .530 roundballs. I hope to sight it in this coming week.
Folks, Agent Orange is kicking in hard. Was doing OK a year ago, but recently had my 78th birthday, and am having trouble just doing daily chores. Looking after my 4 boy cats, my aged Service Dog Sunny Girl, and SD Trainee Siberian Husky I've named "Rascal". Beautiful boy, 9 mo old and full of vim, vigor, and vitality. At least he is no longer bothering my cats!

The tremors are precluding me from doing anything much with the BP guns. I can no longer get the chisels to go where I want. The VA has ordered a new-to-me device called a "Cala klQ", which is some sort of electronic device that you wear for 40 minutes, then is supposed to stabilize you for 2-4 hours. At least the tremors have not been diagnosed as Parkinson's.

But energy! I ain't got any! It left along with our supposed Strategic Reserve of oil. Vanished - POOF! The Good Fairy waved her wand and disappeared it. So, hard to do the daily chores, few as they are. Can barely keep my fur babies fed. Or the kitchen clean.

Ah, well, have had a long, mostly good life traversing the world. I'm planning a 2-week trip to Kenya to meet up with a fellow wildlife biologist, visit with some elephants, zebras, rhinos, etc. He helps out with an elephant orphanage. We plan to stay with several Masai tribes; good chance to learn some Swahili. But with little or no energy, just not positive about this trip.
The VA is great, and is doing what it can to re-wind my clock - surgery on my neck vertebrae in a few weeks. Maybe some of the doggone pain will ease up.

Gotta go burn some BP this coming week - maybe that will help. I do curse my time in Vietnam on a weekly basis!

In Oklahoma, whatever I kill with a muzzleloader this year will be with a .458 Hornady SST in an orange Harvester crush rib out of the new to me TC Omega. Here in late ML season in Texas, I will more than likely use a 350 grain cast bullet in a black Harvester crush rib out the new to me TC Hawken with the laminate stock.

TC Shockwave 250 grain. I keep coming back to these because my TC Omega just loves them. It will put 3 into as tight a group at 100 yards as I can get out of any of my centerfire rifles.

I know the general consensus is to use the Harvester crush rib sabot ( green or black depending on 44 or 45). So what bullets are you currently using? Right now I am finishing up on the Traditions Smackdown 250's I have, thinking of going to the Hornady FTX 250gr but also looking at the XTP 250's both 45 cal( 452 dia.)
Have not thought to much about store bought as they are pricy /made by someone else and I have both

molds /lead/time and great results ,plus the deer hate em !/Ed

Bull shop .504 465gr lead conical 75gr Trip 7 3f with a .54cal felt wad.
Or my trusty .430 300gr Hornaday XTP with Harvester smooth green sabot and 90gr Trip 7 2f
But I do love the big conical bullets.
I hunt in the thick river bottoms so I need those brush busters.

Yep, lots of folks condemn the 250 grain SST bullet. Some claim it fails to expand and "pencils through" the animal. Others claim the same bullet fragments and fails to penetrate: Assuming that velocities are constant, it can't do both.

I see many people say both things about the TC Shockwaves I use as well. It's also made by Hornady and is almost the same bullet as the SST. Some say it pencil holes through and some say it explodes. Can't see how a bullet can be too hard and too soft at the same time.

Anyway I have shot a lot of deer and hogs here in Alabama with them and all I have seen them do is make a lot of things dead.

I know the general consensus is to use the Harvester crush rib sabot ( green or black depending on 44 or 45). So what bullets are you currently using? Right now I am finishing up on the Traditions Smackdown 250's I have, thinking of going to the Hornady FTX 250gr but also looking at the XTP 250's both 45 cal( 452 dia.)
I've always use 230gr Hornady XTP in .44/45 cal., with 100gr loose pyrodex, or 777. Never had to deal with blood trails because they dropped where they stood, or if they did run, went down in about 30yds.

Latest posts

Back