What can you not leave the house without??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, as some of us are gearing up for turkey season I had a few questions for everyone that wanted to share (Maybe some of us can learn a thing or two)
This is Just to have a bit of fun.

Q1. What is your go to turkey gun? Choke and load?
My answer: I have a few go to guns.
1. Rem. 1187 SP 21" Longbeard #5s- Choke tube changes but primarily a .662 Hevi-Shot or a .665 Trulock
2. 835 Mossberg 23" Double X 4s 3.5"- Choke tube is a Trulock .680
3. Rem. 870 Super mag 23" Longbeard #4s- Choke tubes are a Jebs headhunter .660 or a Carlsons .660
I have several different chokes and do a lot of patterning, I am not a TSS shooter, not against it, Shoots too tight for me (I don't need any help missing) Longbeards make it easy to miss too with the right choke tube, an easy 50 yard load making the pattern at 10-20 softball sized or little bigger.

Q2. What is your go to call or calls? Brand, model, type?
My answer: Again, multiple calls
1. My mouth call would be a Bone collector Georgia peach but use others too, but it works well for me.
2. Tube call- Quaker Boy super snuff can. People that have or have used one need no explanation.
3. Slate - Preston Pittman Two Face
4. Box call - Quaker boy hurricane for being weather proof, or my bone collector box, depending on the weather.
5. Locator - Haydel Crow call and H.S Mega Hoot

Q3. What vest do you use?
My answer- I have 2 but primarily use just the 1.
1. Cheap red head vest from Bass pro, I love it cause the magnetic seat, don't have to fumble around with buckles and a padded back.
2. A standard H.S strut vest

I don’t hunt turkeys much anymore but my favorite call for a long time has been a Primos Titan 2000.
I shoot a Benelli M2 with whatever choke happens to be in it from my last waterfowl hunt, usually modified.
I’ve got a vest I bought from Cabelas a long time ago.

My favorite mouth call is a Primos hooked X, double reed. Primos glass pot call, is what I usually use to start off with.
I use one of those turkey lounger chairs. It's getting tough to get in and out of these days, Lol. But very comfortable once I'm settled in.
I carry an old Mossberg 12 gauge pump, it's probably 40 years old, 24 inch barrel with a extended extra full choke tube. I believe it's the HS Strut, undertaker? I think that's the name.
For shells, I always liked the Remington 2oz. # 4 shot, 3 inchers. Seems like nobody is making a 2oz. load anymore. 1 7/8 oz. is pretty much all you can get today.
For a locator call, I use a Primos peacock/coyote call or I do an owl hoot just with my hands cupped up to my mouth.
I don't use a vest but carry a small backpack. Bottle of water and a few snacks are a must for me.

I have not hunted turkeys since i got all busted up. I use to use my Pa's Win. model 12 16ga pump gun full choke 30" bbl. with high-brass #6's. Ben Lee's single n 1.5 Diaphram mouth call n a small Custom made box call. I would run n gun

I use a winchester sx-4 pump in 12 ga or my .410 semiauto Mossberg in mossy oak camo. Shells are typically 3inch #5 or 6 longbeard or TSS in the 410. Headout, sit in a blind along the field and listen/nap until the birds start showing up. Early we are able to hunt 1/2 hour before sun up until Noon. Bring my hearing aides so i can hear the birds gobble in the distance , without them I can't hear sh-t! They come out once the birds are in view. Used to run and gun, now prefer sitting and waiting.

Must have, is gatorade or propel and hard boiled egss.

Wow, I didnt know turkey hunting was so technical. I go out and sit in my box blind. Within about 2-4 hours Im done. Mossberg 500 with a Carlson turkey tube and 3" 2oz number 4 shot.
I wish these mountains weren't so rough to navigate State of NC likes buying gamelands with cliffs and mule faces. I'm gonna cut no corners when I eventually get up to that bird LOL 🤣

Hey guys, as some of us are gearing up for turkey season I had a few questions for everyone that wanted to share (Maybe some of us can learn a thing or two)
This is Just to have a bit of fun.

My answer: I have a few go to guns.
1. Rem. 1187 SP 21" Longbeard #5s- Choke tube changes but primarily a .662 Hevi-Shot or a .665 Trulock
2. 835 Mossberg 23" Double X 4s 3.5"- Choke tube is a Trulock .680
3. Rem. 870 Super mag 23" Longbeard #4s- Choke tubes are a Jebs headhunter .660 or a Carlsons .660
I have several different chokes and do a lot of patterning, I am not a TSS shooter, not against it, Shoots too tight for me (I don't need any help missing) Longbeards make it easy to miss too with the right choke tube, an easy 50 yard load making the pattern at 10-20 softball sized or little bigger.

My answer: Again, multiple calls
1. My mouth call would be a Bone collector Georgia peach but use others too, but it works well for me.
2. Tube call- Quaker Boy super snuff can. People that have or have used one need no explanation.
3. Slate - Preston Pittman Two Face
4. Box call - Quaker boy hurricane for being weather proof, or my bone collector box, depending on the weather.
5. Locator - Haydel Crow call and H.S Mega Hoot

My answer- I have 2 but primarily use just the 1.
1. Cheap red head vest from Bass pro, I love it cause the magnetic seat, don't have to fumble around with buckles and a padded back.
2. A standard H.S strut vest
PS Holt owl hooter and a home made (walnut) box call , the interesting thing is back in 2002 it got signed by Willy Nelson ! My daughter worked on Emerald live cooking show and she asked anything you want signed so I said take my turkey call so she did . The size of this call really carries quite a ways , but not because of the call as they come close to see if Willy really signed it . Kill lots of turkeys cause Willy is still popular!/Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0665[1].JPG
    IMG_0665[1].JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Back in the 80 and 90's my wife was a professional turkey caller in NH. She has a box full of custom made calls. Our turkey here are a cross of Eastern and Merriam and her last one weighed 22#. She uses a Mossberg 835 with full choke and some OLD Federal 3" lead 4 - 1 7/8 - #5 and I shoot 2 3/4" Winchester Super X #6 lead out of a single shot Iver Johnson
with a very tight full choke.

Last fall was my first turkey hunting so a trip was like....

Get coffee in me etc at home, drive the 30 minutes to @Ninering62 's place, trade insults with him and maybe have more coffee, hit the bathroom, walk the 500 yards to where we'd had a semi-prepared blind set up. Ninering had the decoys and calls, I had me and my gun, we each had a cushion to sit on.

Guns? Last fall I had either a 22 rifle, 22 pistol or 12ga shotgun (mossy 500, turkey/extra-full choke, 3" #4 1.75oz loads).

This spring, load out is different. Got my own call (so I can learn) - simple Quaker Boy "Easy Yelper", little box with a push rod on it. Push the rod, it yelps. Could even duct tape it to yer barrel and operate while aiming.

Gun of choice this spring is my Howa Mini in 762x39. Been working on Mouse Fart load development, so launching a 85gr Hornady XTP at 1000fps. Will be doing real accuracy testing this weekend, but I expect 2-3moa based on my 25 yard-ish work, which should be good for turkey head shots up close and due to velocity and such a body shot at 40+ yards will actually leave the bird mostly in one piece. We might make turkey sausage, but we want to remove the guts and feathers first...

I tote a Remington 870 full camo branded as a Wild Turkey Federation gun that I bought in 1998. I have two Woodswise box calls of which I take one of into the woods with me. Don't think they're made anymore. Very consistent yelps. I also take a Woodhaven slate call along. Don't really have a favorite mouth call. Owl hooter and that's it. I prefer to travel light in case I wanna move around a lot.

PS Holt owl hooter and a home made (walnut) box call , the interesting thing is back in 2002 it got signed by Willy Nelson ! My daughter worked on Emerald live cooking show and she asked anything you want signed so I said take my turkey call so she did . The size of this call really carries quite a ways , but not because of the call as they come close to see if Willy really signed it . Kill lots of turkeys cause Willy is still popular!/Ed
That’s very cool! Willy starts singing they come running 🤣

is Just to have a bit of fun.

1. Thompson Center Encore 12 gauge factory choke, Federal TSS 9 shot
2. TriStar 410 G2 , Carlson choke and Apex 9 shot.

My answer:
1. Mouth call - Cane Creek "Lost Poult", Pinhoti "Gray Ghost"
2. Tube call- still experimenting...
3. Slate - Cane Creek slate,glass and aluminum.
4. Box call - Cane Creek
5. Locator -
6. Trumpet - Ralph Permar's Jordan style
7. Wingbone - Tony Ezoit's " Death Tool"
My answer- Old Tom (10 years old)

I take the 870 Wingmaster with a Winchester Turkey load. I believe that they are 2x4s. I believe it's a modified choke. 3 blowup decoys. 2-hens 1-Jake. A Turkey hunting chair that I don't know the manufacturer. A camouflage net and a pack full of mouth calls, pot calls and box calls. Water and a few snacks.

Latest posts

Back