What cannon do you use?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlynch75

Reaction score
Just got my Stevens single shot 16ga outStevens 16 ga single shot.JPG , ready for Turkey Season. :)

Remington 870 12 gauge top, Rem 870 Youth 20 gauge bottom, both topped with Red Dots, full turkey chokes with Winchester LongBeard XR turkey loads, very tight patterns.

I thought my smokeless muzzleloaders were hard kickers until I shot that turkey load out of the 870 12 gauge, it will wake you up:bang:

3vW2va4.jpg

12 Gauge Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag. 20'' inch barrel. .675 Indian Creek choke tube. Winchester Longbeard XR 3.5'' #4 shot. Vortex Sparc II red dot scope. Patterns good out to 50 yds. After the 1st gobbler is down I usually go out with archery gear. Our season starts this coming Thursday, April 18th. Can't wait.

Em5lrCd.jpg

I have two 870's both with select chokes. I find both shot high at 40 yards. I scope one and I can get it to shot lower. However, I don't like scopes on shot guns to bulky for me. So I go with my single 16ga or muzzleloader 12ga. 16ga has better patterns at 40 yards.

Really are some cannons pictured here. I don't use a 12g anymore.To bulky and hard kicking. I now use a 20g TC encore and shoot TSS. Killed two very nice birds this past Spring and passed on a couple Jakes.

Used to use the Auto-10 3 1/2 loaded with duck loads of "5's, worked great as long as I kept the birds out at 30 yards ;)

I like the compact 20" barrel Mossberg 500 Turkey 12 ga. with 2x full choke topped with red dot. It patterns well out to 50 yards. No.5 in 3" Winchester loads preferred.

20160201_093101.jpg

Hunting with others, Browning 10 ga. pump with 2.5 oz #5s. Hunting alone, either my 12 ga. TC New Englander with 1.5 oz buffered #5s or my 20 ga. flintlock Smooth rifle (cylinder bore) with 1.25 oz. mixed 7.5, 6, 4 shot. The Flintlock is limited to 22 yards; the TC with an extra full choke tube will kill as far as the Browning 10 ga.

ADK Bigfoot

Back