What do I need...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader323

Reaction score
Pretty much as the title says what do I need in order to start to do my own reloads for 450 bushmaster, 350 legend, and 9mm. Also I would like to be able to stop relying on a buddy of mine as I hate relying on anyone for that matter and I’d like to start reloading my own 20 gauge shells as well..have been using my buddies equipment and basically just been providing the shot cups and slugs for him. If anyone can send me some links to products on what I need is much appreciate it!! Also anyone recommend some good loading manuals for any of the above calibers? Thanks guys

Steelheader....

I may be able to help you with a MEC 600Jr 20 gauge loader. PM me if you're interested.

A quick list for brass cartridges would be a

Press
dies for each cartridge
shell holders for each cartridge
priming tool
calipers
scale
powder measure
chamfer and deburring tool
case trimmer
cases
powder
primers
powder

All the information you need as far as specs is on the internet. I have books from the old days but they are almost obsolete.

Reloading for the 20, you can get new-primed shells from BPI saving you the headache of finding primers. Powder? , err, start looking after figuring which load you want to shoot. When reloading shotshells, use only listed loads, shells, primers, and powders. Buy or borrow a manual and figure what load you want to shoot then order the powder and wads you need. Some powder manufacturers have loads listed online.
I've been reloading metallic for over 40 years and just started shotshell a few years ago, an easy learning curve but totally different.

If you don't mind doing them one by one without the need for a whole bunch of fancy equipment go to Midway and see if they have any of the Lee hand reloaders. I just got a notification that they had some for 30 ought 6 and bought one. I can not attest to as to the availability of the other calibers.

Yet another caveat is the availability of primers. I wish you good luck.

I’ve been reloading for shotguns for 30 years, rifles for 15 years, and handguns for just a couple years. For shotgun reloading, my recommendation is a MEC Sizemaster. I started with a predecessor to the 600 that was my Dad’s, and it did the job but not near as well or consistent as the Sizemaster.
For rifles, I bought a used RCBS Rock Chucker press to size my brass, and I use Lee hand presses to actually load my ammo. For powder measuring, I use Lee “dippers”. Many people think you have to measure every powder charge to the tenth of a grain to get good accuracy until they see how my “cobbled together“ ammo performs on paper and game.
For handguns, I bought a Dillon 650 off a local message board that was already set up for 223, 300 blackout, 9mm, and 45 acp, and I was able to flatten the learning curve exponentially.
I used to say you could get into reloading on the cheap, but given the current state of affairs, I don’t think that the case anymore.

I have been reloading metallic cartridges for 35 years and shotgun for 20.
They are similar in idea but very different.
We run 2 Dillon 650s and 2 RCBS Rockchuckers along with a MEC600 JR in 20 GA.
The one piece of advice I would offer is to stick to published data from a reputable source and never ever assume all powders are the same.
In my reloading room I have shelves upon shelves of printed material both from manufacturers manuals and printed materials from online and I turn to them often.
Good luck and stay safe.

Have been collecting a few things where and their, have a some things coming from
Mrtom as well..but can anyone recommend a good press with will do 9mm up to say 450 bushmaster? I know some are utilized more towards pistol rounds and vice versa. I Prefer a turret press

Have been collecting a few things where and their, have a some things coming from
Mrtom as well..but can anyone recommend a good press with will do 9mm up to say 450 bushmaster? I know some are utilized more towards pistol rounds and vice versa. I Prefer a turret press
Im looking at getting a lee 4 hole turret press. I keep hearing good things about it and like the idea of setting up a turret for 450BM and a seperate turret for 45 colt. Just swap turrets and youre doing a different cal.

Im looking at getting a lee 4 hole turret press. I keep hearing good things about it and like the idea of setting up a turret for 450BM and a seperate turret for 45 colt. Just swap turrets and youre doing a different cal.

I have been using one for years. I run 45 acp 9mm 44 mag and .223, so much faster than the rock chucker.

Those are my thoughts. If I could set up a turret for each caliber that would be great. I just don’t want to get a press to find out it can do this but not that

I use a Lee classic cast turret also. It’s great having heads set up for all the different calibers!

LEE has some very good online videos, easy to follow and understand. A good Hornady reloading manual is hopeful. I always have used a RCBS single stage press. Single stage is not the fastest but easier to learn on, for me anyway.

Back