What do you think of the Firestick/Nitrofire system?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedarPost

Reaction score
I am relatively new to muzzleloading. This is my second season, using an old Knight that I got in trade from a friend. I have been looking at newer muzzleloaders that do not require a wrench to remove the breech plug, but now the Nitrofire by Traditions has caught my eye. It's legal as a muzzleloader here in VT and the Firestick powder system looks super convenient and easy to use.

Has anybody used one? Any other thoughts? I'd like to hear other people's opinions. Thanks.

Well, you said it, it’s designed to be super easy and convenient, but that convenience comes at a cost. It’s going to be very expensive to shoot. Not a big deal if you shoot less than 10 times a year but it is if you’re a regular at the range. If you do a search here you’ll find plenty of disparaging remarks but I haven’t seen any comments here from anyone who’s actually shot one.

I think i will pass on over $2.00 cost per shot just for powder. Plus $500 for a chromoly barrel with Cerakote.....No thanks. It would be a downgrade from what i currently have.

CedarPost, just imho, but your 'old Knight' is probably 10x better ML than the NitroFire. You don't say what model the Knight is. I would take a $100 Knight over that particular Traditions model.

Exactly. I can already get 2100fps+ with a 275gr bullet in my Knights. No sabot needed and less than a buck for the powder. Sometime that bullet needs to come out of the barrel. It can no longer be pushed out the breech. You got to push it all the way back out the muzzle or burn a $2.00+ powder stick. Every state im aware of considers a ML unloaded when the primer is removed. Maybe some dont.

So you are locked into one brand of powder from one vendor. Plus you got to pay around $500 for the rifle and fill out a form 4473. Im just not seeing it all that convenient in the long run.

I am relatively new to muzzleloading. This is my second season, using an old Knight that I got in trade from a friend. I have been looking at newer muzzleloaders that do not require a wrench to remove the breech plug, but now the Nitrofire by Traditions has caught my eye. It's legal as a muzzleloader here in VT and the Firestick powder system looks super convenient and easy to use.

Has anybody used one? Any other thoughts? I'd like to hear other people's opinions. Thanks.
Sounds like your also looking at CVA and Thompson. Both are better choices than the NitroFire. Although it is a pretty gun with the bronze Cerakote. I just cant see it being worth the extra expense to shoot. I love being able to custom load every round, if i want to change anything, its done right now. With the NitroFire you shoot the one load that they make. Period. If its not perfect... You're S.O.L. here in Michigan the DNR will allow just about anything during our ML season.
Maybe us older guys are missing something about it that younger shooters appreciate. IDK. But if your gonna get rid of an old knight cheap, let me know. The only bad Knight is the one you aint shootin.

CedarPost, just imho, but your 'old Knight' is probably 10x better ML than the NitroFire. You don't say what model the Knight is. I would take a $100 Knight over that particular Traditions model.
It's a Knight Revolution, stainless barrel and receiver with a camouflage stock. Traded a Savage Mark II .22 for it. I get the feeling you guys will think I got a good deal.

One of my big beefs with it is that it's heavy. I track and still-hunt more than I hunt out of a stand, and I notice its weight during a high-mileage day.

If weight is your main concern I would look at a CVA Optima with whatever protector finish you can get on it and a BH209 plug.
Second option would be a Knight ultralight. But before I bought a night I would get a hold of Jeff at Bestill Creations and see how far out he is to manufacture the proper breach plug for your gun with a bare 209 primer

Greg

I shoot traditional and inline ML.
I believe the firestick is one step closer to the single shot cartridge rifle "primitive seasons" we're seeing crop up across the country. For example, in Mississippi and Louisiana you can hunt with any single shot rifle over .35 caliber. This means business of muzzleloading is all but extinct down there. It's even getting hard to find Pyrodex at walmart much less any of the other accessories needed.

As for my opinion on the firestick? Buy a 45-70. You don't have to shove the bullet down the barrel with that one.

It just seems to do away with all the things that drew me to MLing in the first place. If quick, light, convenient, clean, rapid reload is what someone is looking for then cartridge guns are readily available. Even if ammo isnt, at the moment.

I hope this doesn't come across as being too rude, we Aussies can have the habit of being a bit blunt in our words and dry in our humour.

My observation from the outside in what I see on other non muzzleloader specific forums and such is people being drawn to muzzleloader hunting for extra opportunities to hunt not because there is any interest in the art of muzzleloading. I see a lot of people not wanting the inconvenience of exposed ignition, open sights, poor ballistics etc. It seems to be a mindset of "just make it work like a rifle and give me an extra tag".

Of course places like this forum are completely different and I really love the passion of fellow forum members (which is why this is the only forum I regularly visit).

As for myself, we have no weapon specific seasons so I hunt with a muzzleloader because I find the challenge and the history both fascinating and rewarding.

I hunt our firearms season with my MLs too but sometimes i use a SML which easily equals or beats a similar caliber centerfire in velocity. So for me its a no brainer. Before i would buy a rifle that requires me to buy 2 powder options from 1 company i would buy a single shot 45/70, 450 Marlin or 450 Bushmaster. At least i can reload the centerfires with known good/safe data. Any of those options will spank that fiddlestick silly for way less cost per shot if you reload.

ATM its illegal in my state but i can legally shoot almost any CF handgun during our season. So there is zero reason or motivation to even consider a NitroFire or the similar Lehigh Mongrel.

I hope this doesn't come across as being too rude, we Aussies can have the habit of being a bit blunt in our words and dry in our humour.
Do you mean MORE blunt and rude than us Americans? :roll:
I got my first ML for an extra opportunity to deer hunt. But quickly found that i enjoyed almost everything about it. Started getting more into it just for the enjoyment and slower pace of shooting MLs. Makes you slow down and focus. Something i needed to learn to do at the time, and still to this day. If i couldnt hunt anymore i would still have a blast just shooting them at our gun club or public range.

I would be willing to bet most of the people who buy and use the NitroFire are not the kind of people who are members of this forum.

Many of us would consider ourselves muzzleloader "fanatics".

There are hunters who buy factory guns, and use factory ammo, and then there are those who use custom guns, and load their own ammo.

Latest posts

Back