What do you think of the Firestick/Nitrofire system?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said nothing about you that should bring on this type of response. You are trolling, you are not bringing anything valid to this subject. Now you are accusing me of becoming personal. So i am a person that is not going let someone else shift blame on me for my opinion about a breech loader. Get a life your happy about

The following SDS sheet from Hodgdon reveals the amount of Nitrocellulose in twelve of their smokeless powders, including Varget which I use in my 6 BR bolt-action rifle.

https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/varget-ar2208.pdf

The type of bp used doesn't matter. The gun is NOT a muzzle loader!
Actually by definition you are correct. A muzzleloader is a firearm LOADED from the muzzle. The Firestorm does NOT meet that criteria because the charge (AKA load) is loaded from the breech. Only the projectile is inserted thru the muzzle.

The NitroFire is about as far away from muzzleloading as you can get per the definition. Being a Hunter/Trapper Safety Instructor for the PA game commission I have several contacts with the local game wardens. I sent a text message to one today and asked about the legality of using a NitroFire. He responded that the PGC had to alter the rules to make this "muzzleloader" legal.

He responded that the PGC had to alter the rules to make this "muzzleloader" legal.
Something similar happened in North Carolina. When the rifle first came on the market it was illegal in my state, because our law said both the propellant and projectile had to be loaded through the muzzle.

Traditions must have had some good lobbyists, because they were after to get the law changed in my state.

If you can redefine what is a "woman", changing the definition of what is a "muzzleloader" is not that difficult. At one time words had meaning, but not so much these days.

If you can redefine what is a "woman", changing the definition of what is a "muzzleloader" is not that difficult. At one time words had meaning, but not so much these days.
Did you hear about the guy that identified as a woman and followed another man's daughter into the ladies room? The father knocked a couple of the guys teeth out because he said he identified as the tooth fairy!

I bet a skilled 3D printer operator could make them cheaply, still not reusable tho, but loading might take a little experimenting.
3D printed, but very time consuming if the end product still cannot be reloaded. Also there has to be an actual brass cartridge the right size. Looks like a .50-70 is pretty close.

I am also guessing the reason someone buys this is because they want to hunt in ML season but have no interest in antique firearms. I can easily see someone like that figuring that since the fired cart looks like a shotgun shell that shotgun powder should be just fine in it. Big liability in saying these are reloadable even though They truly do appear to be.

Our views of things change over time as has mine. Aside from the literal meaning there is also the "spirit" of what is meant by muzzleloader. Maybe to some it's not breaking open to load powder from the breach, but maybe to others loading synthetic powder and a modern projectile into a scoped inline doesn't represent the spirit of what muzzleloading is about either.

I no longer find the latter comparable to a slow twist open sighted flintlock shooting prb. In that respect there is more difference between those than there is between a standard inline and a nitro fire which to me may as well be one and the same.
I personally felt strongly enough about that to sell my inline, for me if I'm hunting with a modern setup like that I may as well just use a centrefire.

Point is we all have our way that is true to us and sometimes it's worth remembering that before saddling up the old high horse.

Welcome From Kentucky eh I have a St. Louis Hawken (CVA) Buckhorn Magnum (CVA) HunterBolt (CVA) rifle wise any way never liked the "NEW" systems Break Action or Nitro Fire even the Electra left an odd feeling. More so over cost My CVA`s I can piddle round $0.60 high side to shoot Nitro Fire runs $3.00 a shot high side no fine tuning. Make your own caps (for Percussion) the cost drops again about a $80 down stroke to get caps rolling by the first 500 or so you have paid it off and it is cheap shooting. "NEWER" as I have found out Corporate has just found more ways to line their pockets, it aint none of my business....

The NitroFire is about as far away from muzzleloading as you can get per the definition. Being a Hunter/Trapper Safety Instructor for the PA game commission I have several contacts with the local game wardens. I sent a text message to one today and asked about the legality of using a NitroFire. He responded that the PGC had to alter the rules to make this "muzzleloader" legal.
The fact several states have made this legal is an indication someone with more money than I thought was in this sport is heavily campaigning for it.

I'm still amazed this exists.

Last edited:
It is still hunting as far as I’m concerned. You still need to be able to “hit” something with it. That being said, I don’t have one, don’t want one, or care if anyone else uses one. To each his own!

I hope this doesn't come across as being too rude, we Aussies can have the habit of being a bit blunt in our words and dry in our humour.

My observation from the outside in what I see on other non muzzleloader specific forums and such is people being drawn to muzzleloader hunting for extra opportunities to hunt not because there is any interest in the art of muzzleloading. I see a lot of people not wanting the inconvenience of exposed ignition, open sights, poor ballistics etc. It seems to be a mindset of "just make it work like a rifle and give me an extra tag".

Of course places like this forum are completely different and I really love the passion of fellow forum members (which is why this is the only forum I regularly visit).

As for myself, we have no weapon specific seasons so I hunt with a muzzleloader because I find the challenge and the history both fascinating and rewarding.
This is a muzzleloader made for someone who has no interest in muzzleloaders. Its there so that person can hunt in the ML season with essentially a modern rifle.

The ATF considers it to be a modern rifle, as do about half the states. so FFL paperwork and such. In California that adds $100+ to the cost.

Having been said, if anyone actually confirms that .50-70 brass actually fits this thing, I may try it anyway if I can find one used and cheap.

Latest posts

Back