What do you think of the Firestick/Nitrofire system?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it’s all about what you like, for me I have always used loose powder, never used a pellet. I guess they’re reaching out to a lazy hunter!!

The worst thing about the whole dealo is Traditions offers a nice little CF single shot called the Outfitter G3 in 45/70. If they offered it in a ML only 45cal 1-20 they would have a dandy little rifle with that Lothar barrel. They have all the parts. All it needs is minor tooling changes for a breech plug and LW50 SS barrel instead of LW chromoly.

That Outfitter rifle can be found for under $400 so why is the NitroWhatever $500ish?

Last edited:
Do a search and take a look at my post on paper cartridges. you can make them yourself put them in pretty much any muzzleloader and if you wanted to make it waterproof just put the paper cartridges and some type of water tight container.

You can use whatever powder you like. Make as many as you want and the only additional cost is the cost of a rolling paper. You're welcome.

Wow, lots of cool discussion here, thanks y’all!

Seems like I differ from many posters in that I’m mostly interested in extending my hunting season, rather than MLs specifically. That said, I want to make a smart choice about my next ML purchase, and I think the coat per shot issue is worth considering. Plus if it gets taken off the market the gun is worthless.

I’m not familiar with 45-70s. Is that a type of muzzle loader?

Wow, lots of cool discussion here, thanks y’all!

Seems like I differ from many posters in that I’m mostly interested in extending my hunting season, rather than MLs specifically. That said, I want to make a smart choice about my next ML purchase, and I think the coat per shot issue is worth considering. Plus if it gets taken off the market the gun is worthless.

I’m not familiar with 45-70s. Is that a type of muzzle loader?

The 45-70 is a modern cartridge kind of. It won't help you in extending your season as it's a centerfire cartridge.
A 45 caliber bullet with 70 grains of black powder behind it.

if you just want to extend your muzzleloader season and don't want to spend a whole lot of money and want a decent shooter just to extend your season I recommend the CVA wolf in stainless steel if possible.

They're cheap extremely easy to clean built well and I think for your purposes they would do great. I use mine to target shoot more often than anything else. Now if you just wanted to extend your season and use it that way it would be a cheap investment in a quality rifle.

I would buy that.

They say that rifle is under 7lbs in 45/70. It would weigh about the same as a 45cal 1-20 ML. Take off the brake and add 2-3" more barrel. You would have something no one offers....A steel frame break action 45 fast twist that dont cost a fortune and has a good barrel. Turning the G3 into a ML yourself is another option but you would only have a 22" barrel. Not a huge deal i guess since you can use them other powders too. :D

How about the Knight Revolution I already have -- decent gun?

I shot about 20 rounds at the range before the season opened, and had issues with flyers. I was shooting 5-round groups and usually four were in a good group and one was way off. It wasn't always the first or second shot after cleaning. I was using 209 primers and two 777 preformed powder pellets, with Powerbelt all-copper bullets.

How about the Knight Revolution I already have -- decent gun?

I shot about 20 rounds at the range before the season opened, and had issues with flyers. I was shooting 5-round groups and usually four were in a good group and one was way off. It wasn't always the first or second shot after cleaning. I was using 209 primers and two 777 preformed powder pellets, with Powerbelt all-copper bullets.
Im not personally familiar with the Rev, but if your getting a flyer now and then its probably you flinching or something. Heck try shooting with just one pellet even. Or Try different bullets first. Anything 250-300 saboted. Til you get anything that groups better. Then start changing your powder, and volume of it.

I joke with my co-worker because he bought one I call it Nitrofart that use yeppie sticks for lazy hunter well that pisses him off.
O well live go’s on.
But I’ll never buy one because I’m not lazy and I love to play around with different powder and bullet.
But each to his own.
Muzzleloaders are fun and if you can’t play around with powder and bullets then why bother.
Knight is haveing a sale right know that would be a lot better then that thing.

Last edited:
Well, you said it, it’s designed to be super easy and convenient, but that convenience comes at a cost. It’s going to be very expensive to shoot. Not a big deal if you shoot less than 10 times a year but it is if you’re a regular at the range. If you do a search here you’ll find plenty of disparaging remarks but I haven’t seen any comments here from anyone who’s actually shot one.
I would just add that convenience to me means convenience at the range or in the field. Weighing or volume measure in a Lane tube at home ahead of time. Qwik and simple uncap and pore down the barrel.

I would just add that convenience to me means convenience at the range or in the field. Weighing or volume measure in a Lane tube at home ahead of time. Qwik and simple uncap and pore down the barrel.
I generally do the same.
Most people are lazy and want convenience, even if it’s only the perception of convenience. They’ll buy bullets and sabots together or they’ll buy Powerbelts and they’ll buy pelletized powder so they don’t have to measure and a bunch of them will gladly pay extra for Firestcks.
Not most of the folks that frequent this forum but the avg Joe that’s got a muzzleloader because he gets 2 more weeks to hunt.

Latest posts

Back