What do you think of the Firestick/Nitrofire system?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am just worried that it would become a wall hanger in a few years. With just one company making the sticks and if it does not catch on, they will quit making them. Then what? Not to mention the expense. 2 bucks a shot for just the powder.

Looks like i was right. It is filled with a BH209 variant. Its the "fines" from BH209 production. :D
http://www.namlhunt.com/all-things-ml/what-powder-is-in-the-federal-firestick
So, I then walked over to the Western Powders booth to see if Federal was loading their Blackhorn 209 powder into the FireStick ... and they assured me that if they were ... it wasn't coming from them. So, after getting home from that show, I got in contact with one of the powder engineers I know at the facility where Blackhorn 209 is produced ... and learned that they "had developed" a sligfhtly hotter, slightly faster version of the powder for the FireStick. Now that Blackhorn 209 and Western Powders are owned by Hodgdon Powder Company ... it's all no big deal. It just seemed strange to me that an entirely new "muzzleloading" concept that was being boasted as to "change muzzleloading forever" was so shrouded in secrecy.

Left BH209----------------------------Right is the powder from a FiddleStick. :D
img-9387.jpg

When it was first introduced, Federal and Hodgdon both say the powder is Triple 8. Hodgdon went on to say T8 is the same as 777, but made only for the sticks.

Time will eventually tell what it is exactly.

Last edited:
I saw some "FireSticks" in my local gun shop this week.
The guy behind the counter said they had sold two of the NitroFire rifles, but complained that they had to stock two different loads of "FireStick". He thought the company should have only offered one loading.

I wish TB would have included a weight and volume measurement of the powder that was removed from the Fiddlestick. Then compare that volumes weight to the same volume of BH209.

It clearly looks just like BH209 and Westerns SDS has never been all that clear. So we cant really compare it very well. Only patent #s for both powders would clear it up.

Last edited:
I saw some "FireSticks" in my local gun shop this week.
The guy behind the counter said they had sold two of the NitroFire rifles, but complained that they had to stock two different loads of "FireStick". He thought the company should have only offered one loading.

Saw our local Wally World has the sticks for sale even though the gun is not legal in Indiana as a muzzleloader.

VA. has a bill pending to change the wording of a muzzleloader to allow a different method of loading. I hope it fails!!
The proposal is to define a muzzleloading rifle/shotgun as loading from the muzzle as it should be. The law as of now includes the propellant which they want to take out.

Last edited:
I hope this doesn't come across as being too rude, we Aussies can have the habit of being a bit blunt in our words and dry in our humour.

My observation from the outside in what I see on other non muzzleloader specific forums and such is people being drawn to muzzleloader hunting for extra opportunities to hunt not because there is any interest in the art of muzzleloading. I see a lot of people not wanting the inconvenience of exposed ignition, open sights, poor ballistics etc. It seems to be a mindset of "just make it work like a rifle and give me an extra tag".

Of course places like this forum are completely different and I really love the passion of fellow forum members (which is why this is the only forum I regularly visit).

As for myself, we have no weapon specific seasons so I hunt with a muzzleloader because I find the challenge and the history both fascinating and rewarding.
That was, in all honesty, the reason I started, some 37 years ago. It has developed into something much more than that, and did so early on. I bought my first mold and lead pot when I was about 21 and built my first mold when I was around 29-30 years old. I mess with mine all year long, not just at hunting season. This year, at least the last 7-8 months, I haven’t had the time to spend as I’d like to with them, with moving and building a shop and all.

The latest proposal in Indiana would allow hunters to use the firestick only during the firearms season. During muzzleloader season the powder and ball still have to be loaded from the muzzle.

"Rule & Regulation Changes...

...Muzzleloaders for Deer Hunting

Remove the restriction in 312 IAC 9-3-3 requiring the powder used in muzzleloaders to be loaded only from the muzzle end of the muzzleloader when used during the deer firearms season, youth special deer season, late antlerless season, and deer reduction zone season (when firearms are allowed). This change would allow deer hunters the option to use additional muzzleloaders during these seasons, but does not change muzzleloaders that are legal during the regular deer muzzleloader season. Muzzleloaders that can be used during the deer muzzleloader season must still have both the powder and bullet loaded from the muzzle."

Latest posts

Back