What happened to compact and light?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LHR

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Where have all the compact, light weight, mid to low power scopes gone? I’m talking about sub 12” and 12 oz. scopes like my Leupold 2.5-8x36.

Is it just me or have most manufacturers gone big. It seems everything is 30mm tubes or bigger and long, heavy, higher power.

The only thing close is in the LPVO arena and the prices went way up.

If someone knows of something I don’t please share.

Monstrous zoom is what its all about now, i think. The big money is in long range stuff. Ive found a couple older lower power scopes (nikon 4× and 6×) that are pretty good. I find them on ebay from time to time at decent prices.

Where have all the compact, light weight, mid to low power scopes gone? I’m talking about sub 12” and 12 oz. scopes like my Leupold 2.5-8x36.

Is it just me or have most manufacturers gone big. It seems everything is 30mm tubes or bigger and long, heavy, higher power.

The only thing close is in the LPVO arena and the prices went way up.

If someone knows of something I don’t please share.
I am in the process of finding a scope for my Rem 700 ML. I am looking for something that will keep the rifle at or under 9 pounds. I was just researching a few hours ago and have pretty much decided to look for a used or NOS older lightweight/compact Leupold. I have several of the 2.5-8x36 scopes on lever action rifles and really like them but evidently Leupold has stopped building them. Used scopes on the auction sights are priced really high also.

I hear you, If I'm not mistaken even the low power weavers are discontinued. I did have a vortex 2-7 a couple years ago and may get another, I pretty much leave em on 2.5 until I struggle to make out the target.

I am in the process of finding a scope for my Rem 700 ML. I am looking for something that will keep the rifle at or under 9 pounds. I was just researching a few hours ago and have pretty much decided to look for a used or NOS older lightweight/compact Leupold. I have several of the 2.5-8x36 scopes on lever action rifles and really like them but evidently Leupold has stopped building them. Used scopes on the auction sights are priced really high also.

Not so, I recently bought the new VX3HD in a 2.5-8x36, they did make some changes from the older style that some don’t like. I do so this will likely be the scope I go with again since it’s the only option going that I see.

1857C971-C2F3-4B2C-A6F4-390AA0384553.jpeg
Scope caps is another thing that Leupold has gotten right. They are over priced, but they sure complete the whole package and are necessary for me!

I was considering the Swarovski Z3 3-9x36, seems like a great little compact, but no turret options, no scope caps like their big dogs have...

Maven offers a 12ish ounce scope too but like the SWFA SS its eye relief is also rather poor. Other than that people seem to really like them. It all boils down to application. Just because a scope would be poor or mediocre for a hard kicker it might be great for something else. I would have no issue with a scope like that on something like a little Grendel or 223.
https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/riflescopes/products/rs-2-2-10x38

Maven offers a 12ish ounce scope too but like the SWFA SS its eye relief is also rather poor. Other than that people seem to really like them. It all boils down to application. Just because a scope would be poor or mediocre for a hard kicker it might be great for something else. I would have no issue with a scope like that on something like a little Grendel or 223.
https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/riflescopes/products/rs-2-2-10x38
I actually had that one for a short time, they unfortunately sent the wrong reticle so I sent it back. I really like that scope other than the short eye relief!

View attachment 18706
Scope caps is another thing that Leupold has gotten right. They are over priced, but they sure complete the whole package and are necessary for me!

I was considering the Swarovski Z3 3-9x36, seems like a great little compact, but no turret options, no scope caps like their big dogs have...
I agree. These caps only work on scopes built after 2004. I finally bit the bullet today and bought a Vx-3i 2.5-8x36 for my stainless rem 700ml. It was made in 2015. I will be ordering the caps next week as well as trying to find another identical scope for my blued Rem 700ML. Buy once cry once I suppose. The price of building two rifles with scopes because my eyesight sucks is getting pricey.

Latest posts

Back