What is the best option for selling ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok i know here probably for my muzzleloaders and maybe even the couple thousand bullets ( lead to saboted ) . but I also have many quality knives left from my collection as well as tons of hunting stuff like game callers , ghillie suits ,leafy suits couple of crossbows ,compound bows , scopes etc. ( man are we a consumer society 😁 not sure how I ended up with so much STUFF 😔
and the list goes on . Since I cant take it with me ( although I may have 1 muzzleloader in my coffin 😁) what is the best option . I am thinking Ebay even though I dont much like them . Plus shipping is getting high . I live so rural that a local auction wouldnt be worth it
But it is time to sale what once was my life's savings so to speak . Time marches on and I ended up out of step . May have to practically give everything away probably
What say ye ??

I feel your pain my friend. Maybe start here, you never know. Can you go too a couple of local flea markets and set up a table or two? Maybe see one of the vendors and make a percentage deal with him or her. Either way good luck to a great guy….

Sharp, I feel for ya. Selling one’s lifetime collection of personal items is very time consuming. Especially if one is doing the selling the items themselves. The research, write up, photos ,posting & shipping = X time.
Suggestions:
- If you haven’t already register / open up an account with USPS, UPS & Fedex. The last two will have some substantial discounts for account holders.
- If you advertise on the net I’d suggest getting an email account and use just for selling. You can also get a free phone number . ie Google ph.
Just an extra layer of protection.
- My uncle ;who started me hunting at a very age, is an example of how not to sell. He’d offer a varmint gun for sell around late deer season ,winter.Then a deer caliber rifle in the spring. ….Wrong Timing.
-Do you have a local area free weekly advertising paper? I do here and they work really well.
- I too have come to despise ebay and all of their fees ,rules. Been on it since 1998.
-As for muzzleloading & hunting stuff I think this site is great venue. With like spirits we’ll want it, spread the word or maybe know one looking for what you may have.
-Last off if you don’t want to deal with it,,,,,auction or consignment sellers. Like Lock,Stock & Barrel. lsbauctions.com that I’ve seen on GB site.
Hope any of this is of help.

Sharp, I feel for ya. Selling one’s lifetime collection of personal items is very time consuming. Especially if one is doing the selling the items themselves. The research, write up, photos ,posting & shipping = X time.
Suggestions:
- If you haven’t already register / open up an account with USPS, UPS & Fedex. The last two will have some substantial discounts for account holders.
- If you advertise on the net I’d suggest getting an email account and use just for selling. You can also get a free phone number . ie Google ph.
Just an extra layer of protection.
- My uncle ;who started me hunting at a very age, is an example of how not to sell. He’d offer a varmint gun for sell around late deer season ,winter.Then a deer caliber rifle in the spring. ….Wrong Timing.
-Do you have a local area free weekly advertising paper? I do here and they work really well.
- I too have come to despise ebay and all of their fees ,rules. Been on it since 1998.
-As for muzzleloading & hunting stuff I think this site is great venue. With like spirits we’ll want it, spread the word or maybe know one looking for what you may have.
-Last off if you don’t want to deal with it,,,,,auction or consignment sellers. Like Lock,Stock & Barrel. lsbauctions.com that I’ve seen on GB site.
Hope any of this is of help.
Thanks. Great info

Do you have updated categorized lists? Besides only here, could post in our sister site or other forums...
Although you're in a streamlining phase, if you or your friends/relatives have other interests, perhaps trades?
I'd sure like to see what you have left, if not for me I can always point others your way

Sorry. Most are lg/xl I could send you one to try and see if it fits though if you want. And if it fits then you could buy it😁
Sorry Chet..Let Kzimmermann have it. At 5’11” and 250 lbs. i do not think it would look to good if i did squeeze my self into it. Lol. Well its a great start for you anyway. That itemized list would be a good idea also. Thanks again…

Well you know about here and Ebay but you can also list your nonfirearm items on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist.
I know what you mean about all the stuff. I started hunting at 12 and now that I'll be 70 in a couple months I have literally a truckload of stuff. I probably have a half ton of ammo alone if you count all the rimfire, centerfire and muzzy bullets! Add to that 3 gun safes full to the brim and a gun rack plus a couple other guns in my bedroom plus all the knives, clothes and other paraphernalia. Its enough to make you head spin

I am going through the same thing due to a forced downsizing of my house and a desire to be minimalistic. I use eBay (gag), Gunbroker for the bullets (feds are watching if you sell a ton), and Craigslist for stuff too big to ship. Maybe local shooting club bulletin boards for ammo, powder, and primers since you can’t ship it (I gave all the hazmat to buddies). All that being said your best bet is to sell whatever is appropriate on forums like this one. Gunbroker and eBay take a big bite, are a hassle, and the feds will try to tax you if your volume is too much. Craigslist (and all the others) are full of flakes and scammers.

Lastly, I did one gunshow last year. It was a big one. It was a ton of fun and I sold everything except a couple boxes which I gave to dealers. I even had a free bin, I priced everything cheap, and was 1/2 off on the last day. Double lastly, put a table at every yard sale someone else is doing. Lots a guys get drug around by their wives to yard sales. Guy stuff sells good! Especially if it’s just a little bit sprinkled in a sea of old appliances, DVDs, and worn out toys.

I thought of another one. I ended up with a bunch of stuff that was not really worth selling. I gave it away locally to buddies. But…. I belong to another forum that routinely the members do giveaways to members that are just starting out. Some 20 year old just staring their career with a wife and a couple kids would sure appreciate some gear. Hunting / shooting is an expensive sport to break in to if your just starting and raising a family.

Can you post some photo's of your knives? Anything period correct or any folders?

I stopped selling stuff on eBay due to their super liberal anti gun posture, abusive fees and ridiculous new rules linking one’s bank account, providing one’s SS number and issuance of 1099s to get taxed on things I already paid taxes on.
One good way to sell some of your non firearm items could be by renting a table at a gun show. This site would be another possibility. GLWYS.👍

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back