What is the most popular bullet weight for hunting Deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think Powerbelt makes an all copper bullet, copper plated, but not a solid. My family and I have shot many deer with all copper bullets like Barnes and Bear Creek
Ballistics, never a problem with expansion.
Yes, they do make an all copper PB.

Here in the west, we take longer shots. Then, high ballistic coefficient becomes an issue. I've had good luck with 340 gr. Precision Rifle Dead Centers. They usually drop them in their tracks out to about 250 yards. They expand to over an inch. As stated above, accuracy trumps bullet performance in almost all cases.

With Traditions and CVA’s inlines our group of hunters has had the best overall performance out of Barnes 250 grain T-EZ’s with 100 grains of measured BH-209 which averaged out to 1 1/2” groups at 100 yards and all deer have dropped either on the spot or go 10 - 30 yards. One deer went 40 yards but was shot with a 250 grain Barnes MZ iirc.

The new to our group most accurate bullet sabot combo is the Harvester PT gold 260 grain, I am the test mule on this one hunting wise and didn’t take a deer this season and regret not taking another doe just to compare its performance to the Barnes. I can shoot sub MOA with the Harvester out of both my ML’s.

Latest posts

Back