What its all about........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The video says it all! :lewis: My grandson was shaking just like that when he shot his doe this year with my son's crossbow. Memories like that will be treasured and stay with you forever.

That is awesome! Really is what it’s all about. There’s nothing like it.

My grandson got a 870 slug gun for Christmas one year and the following year he and his dad hunted on my hill with me. On opening day at noon, as planned I walked over to their stand area and met them for lunch. Josh, the grandson was all fired up. It seems a very nice buck came down a trail and walked to within twenty feet or so of them. Josh slowly brought the gun up, popped the safety off and squeezed for all he was worth but the gun would not fire. It seems he forgot the factory trigger lock's key in the truck. His dad said he's never seen anyone shake like Josh did with that deer so close and not be able to do a thing but watch it walk off. lol Memories. Damn, those kids bring some good times to the field and then they grow up and start chasing girls.

Lol, yeah some seem to put hunting on the back burner for a while once they "discover" girls.
When I was young hunting season definitely cost me a few girlfriends that didn't like being "hunting widows". The ones that understand it and let you go without much fuss, or better yet want to go hunting with you, are the keepers. If they can wrap good they are definitely keepers lol.

52 deer, 2 hogs and a black bear later I still get the shakes after the cap busts...
Hope that never goes away. If it does, I guess I'll just punch paper 'till I fall off the perch.

It's been at least 5 years now since I shot a deer. Not that I couldn't, but I've always let the grandson who I'm hunting with take the shot. Mnoland30 is right when he stated it is almost as much fun as shooting one yourself. Just seeing the smile and their faces and them shaking from the adrenalin rush after the shot is PRICELESS! That is something that will go into your memory bank and you'll never forget them.

When my middle boy was little ( 24 now )
He would get get so nervous, and shake that I've actually had to take the gun from him, honestly. On the last day of our season ,we were sitting together in a double stand . Right before dark a big ol' doe comes walking across the field right for us. We had some time so I went through the " breathe, relax, deep breath ect. " Well he finally gets a shot, she runs about 10 yards and is down. He turns to me in all of the excitement and says," I did, I didn't get nervous !!" Before I could even give him a hug or a good job, he starts heaving and throws up, next came the shakes. Now every time he shows up with a deer at the house, I have to ask..lol

Lol, yeah some seem to put hunting on the back burner for a while once they "discover" girls.
When I was young hunting season definitely cost me a few girlfriends that didn't like being "hunting widows". The ones that understand it and let you go without much fuss, or better yet want to go hunting with you, are the keepers. If they can wrap good they are definitely keepers lol.

Growing boys are always susceptible to the two fumes: car fumes, and perfumes. Eventually they return.

OmG! That is precious!
My daughter was ( and still is) cool as a cucumber when she has one down.
On the outside. But behind those pretty green eyes...
I have to admit, its nearly as big a hoot helping someone get a deer as it is when I get one myself. Nearly.Its one of the reasons I became a hunter/ trapper instructor. For those thinking about it, I must say its very rewarding, especially when you run into a former student in the field. I ran into a mother/ daughter team one day in the early muzzleloader season. Both recognized me. Really felt good too. Especially since they both said I was right about muzzleloaders. I tell the class that they're more fun than a human being should be allowed to have. Borrowed that quote from Rush.

I absolutely agree that helping a kid or someone new to hunting harvest their first animal is very rewarding and also gives us the same excitement as harvesting one ourselves. When my daughter shot her first deer I was nearly as excited as she was, same with my wife. It's also rewarding when you are the one that taught them to shoot with proper mechanics and then you get to see all the practice kick in during the heat of the moment and they execute a nice shot. Other than a really huge whitetail buck, which has always been my passion (weakness?) over all else, or being archery close to a bugling/rutting bull elk, I get more excited to see someone new to hunting or a young person harvest an animal. It's just plain fun to see their excitement and share it with them.

It's also vital to bring new people into the world of putting their own meat in the freezer, how to best handle it and keep it clean, how to cut it up, and how to make jerky, breakfast sausage, etc. out of it.

Back