What ML scope can you recommend?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I removed the silicon sock on my ML scope and instantly knew why my ex left it. Looks like she broke both lens with a hammer. I bought the ML new for her and she only shot it a couple times and did not hunt.
I tried all day to locate a Swift SRP674-SL and cannot find a one! This is what my new GOOD wife has on her LK-93 and I can focus it for use without my glasses which I like. Most scopes will not allow that much focus for these old eyes.

Are there other scopes an old goat can find that will focus for old eyes?
Do we have a Swift dealer on here?
Any 4x, 2-7, or 3-9 like hers will work, but always open to new ideas, brands etc.

Whokalouie

Never heard of Swift rifle scopes. I had to Google them. Very little info out there on them. I’d recommend a recognized name brand scope in that entry level range if that’s what you’d like to stick with. Burris, or Leupold maybe? Really depends on how much you’d like to spend.

Pay attention to warranty. Hard to beat the names that has been around for a long time. Leupold & Burris comes to mind.

I stay away for the most part from Bushnell. Warranty goes only to the original owner unlike the previous mentioned brands. Then even with Bushy’s warranty you pay shipping to them plus include $10 for return shipping.
That being said I do have some higher end Bushnell scopes that I’m very happy with.
Now. For a ML an important spec is the eye relief. The Burris 2-7 Fullfield E1 has about a 4” . Not heavy too.
I’d stay away from the low $ scopes plus Hawke scopes too.

The Vortex Diamondback HP is not bad.
Cameraland NY usually has a good line of scopes and supporter of our sport.
Hope this is some kind of help.

Pay attention how eye relief is rated also. That Burris E1 is 4.1" on the lowest and 3.1" on the highest. Thats a huge difference between high and low. A half inch difference is far more common.

As far as Swift scope. They have been made in Korea for a long time using USA made BaK7 glass. The eye relief is usually pretty bad on them. Ive got a 2-7x40WA Premier. It almost bit me a few times before i removed it.

There are a few on EBAY and they have a 4-12x40 "Tactical" 30mm tube on sale for $185 too.

I think most over scope their MLs. I disagree with the notion that it is better to have too much magnification rather than too little.

As such, I agree with your desire for a 4x, 2-7x or 3-9x scope. I considered the Swift 4x32 but couldn't find one either. I settled on a Bushnell Prime 1-4x32. When I got it, Bushnell was offering them for $99 ($40 off), direct from their website with free shipping. They are currently back at $140 but they do a sale pretty often. So far seems like a pretty good scope for the money.

Ive got an old Swift 2-7x32 with a loose eye bell. I emailed Swift and they told me its out of warranty but they would sell me something they have in stock if i send them the old scope. They responded quick and have a few good scopes but didnt have the one i wanted. Check out their website and see what they have.

I thank all of you for your time to reply and I appreciate it very much.
My wife surfed trying to find 30mm scope mounts for the LK-93 with no luck so I am stuck needing a 1" tube.
I have had both Leupold and Burris scopes on centerfire rifles for several years but cannot focus them now without glasses. I will phone those places today.
Thanks again for all the help.
Whokalouie
ps.....my wife's Swift scope has always been clear and zero has never varied, yes it does have the posi-lock on the left side. She has taken a whitetail buck with it every year since 2008. No complaints about her scope if that helps anyone.

Last edited:
The Swift 4-12x40 Tactical 30mm is on amazon for $185. Its a mildot though.
My wife surfed trying to find 30mm scope mounts for the LK-93 with no luck so I am stuck needing a 1" tube.
You just need 30mm rings and a set of Warnes or Loopie bases. Rem541 2 pieces bases are the same part#

Loopie Part number 49866
Warnes Part number M826/826M
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1592179769?pid=195618
Use these Warnes Horizontal rings with either in medium but lows MIGHT fit.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020957432

Last edited:
I hear good things about Hawke scopes. What do you not like about them?
It’s not that I do not like them. It’s that I’ve had many Hawke mounted rifles come to me with clients saying they can’t get their piece to shoot accurately.
From flat out non focusing to reticle adjustment jumping / moving /tracking to ocular issues.
Just recently on a Hawke variable( IIRC 4-12 ) power , with the rear ocular focus. The ocular would wiggle around …left to right, up or down slightly. Thus moving the reticle image.

Now I have to say though my experience has been with what I call the budget line of them. Say $225 and under.
I have no experience with their more expensive ones.

I see a lot of optical line companies come and go. Companies come up with a great name. Make a deal with China to make optics for them . Cheap enough then if you have an issue ,well No Problem.
Will send you a new one. No actual repair / tech personnel.

But for more expensive ones…IMO….…buy a time honored proven dependable brand that has an unquestionable reliable warranty.
Having a real person staff that one can actually speak to is comforting in case of issues is a plus.
I do understand budgets can be an issue though.
Works for me.

I've had very good success with the basic Burris 3x9x40 E1 Ballistic Plex as well as the Burris 4.5-14 x 42 Fullfield 2. I put these on a Ultimate BP Express ML and the Ultimate 40X MZ (couldn't resist the European Walnut) respectively. Granted I bought these scopes many years ago and have since sold the BP Express. I don't baby my hunting rigs and have always used magnum level charges. These particular scopes held up to many shots of heavy (for me) recoil.
The held up great. They still sell these, but don't know if they're the quality anymore. They still have their "Forever Warranty" and all Burris scopes. Maybe worth looking into..

I have had both Leupold and Burris scopes on centerfire rifles for several years but cannot focus them now without glasses. I will phone those places to
Whokalouie
ps.....my wife's Swift scope has always been clear and zero has never varied, yes it does have the posi-lock on the left side. She has taken a whitetail buck with it every year since 2008. No complaints about her scope if that helps anyone.
I could be wrong, but I always thought the bell was adjustable to help with the focus.
I have had both Leupold and Burris scopes on centerfire rifles for several years but cannot focus them now without glasses. I will phone those places today.
Whokalouie
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I always thought you could adjust the focus of a scope by adjusting the bell? Again, I could be wrong, just ask my wife ...

I may have just gotten lucky when buying several (older) Swift fixed 4X scopes. They are the only ones that have survived up to 15+ years on my hardest recoiling guns and loads.

Has anyone else tried attaching one of your old eyeglass lenses to the inside of a scope's ocular lens cover?

GM54, thank you for the rings and bases links! I wrote the info on a card and taped it to the lid of my wife's ML tackle box so I won't loose it.
My wife told me to look in the boxes that I have yet to go through from my late fathers gun shop as she remembered seeing a scope in one. Sure enough I found three used scopes, no new ones. A weaver KV 4x, a Kollmorgan Bear Cub 26mm 4x, and a Leupold varix ll 3x9.
With the Leupold bell all the way left it is close to being a perfect focus, better than all my other scopes and good enough for my hunting without glasses.
I am not a fan of see through mounts but the shop had them in stock when I bought the rifle in the 90's. I will try them this year as the season opens in a couple weeks. I have a sneekin' hunch I will be placing an order for the Warne Maxima set up before next year!

Thanks again for all the great help, Whokalouie

Without breaking your wallet I recently purchased a KonusPro 3-9x with illuminated dot in the center of the reticle. I liked it so much I bought another. There is a lot of adjustment for focus on the eyepiece plus an additional focus on the side for parallex. One is on a .45 Mountaineer and the other on a Rem 700ML. Both have seen hundreds of shots and still crystal clear. And when you turn on that red or blue dot (I prefer the red) it really stands out on a deer in low light.

I have several Swift scopes. No complaints at all. I have one on my 243 Win in Mod 77 Ruger. I use it relentlessly. It has not had an easy life. Been to Wyoming and back probably 20 times. Never gets to the gun rack but rather has a less than cushy ride in the truck. In case we see groundhogs you know. Rarely sees the inside of a case. After 35 years it shoots fine. The other Swifts have a more cushy life. But all have worked well. Have one on my piston pellet gun too. Known to be hard on scopes. No problems.

I do have a couple of crossfires I picked up in auction. Seem good so far. Picked them up because they seem to get good press here.

I removed the silicon sock on my ML scope and instantly knew why my ex left it. Looks like she broke both lens with a hammer. I bought the ML new for her and she only shot it a couple times and did not hunt.
I tried all day to locate a Swift SRP674-SL and cannot find a one! This is what my new GOOD wife has on her LK-93 and I can focus it for use without my glasses which I like. Most scopes will not allow that much focus for these old eyes.

Are there other scopes an old goat can find that will focus for old eyes?
Do we have a Swift dealer on here?
Any 4x, 2-7, or 3-9 like hers will work, but always open to new ideas, brands etc.

Whokalouie
Leupold on every one I own 4x and 2x7 s ,other than my latest on the Pedersoli 84

Attachments

• IMG_0825[1].JPG
    IMG_0825[1].JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back