What ML scope can you recommend?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have more rounds down range and we're talking thousands with sightron mid-range price Scopes the last four or five years especially smokeless than any other scope line for the money I really like them and I like the tracking

If anyone has good quality scopes that need repaired as I did, I was happy with my repairs from here. Plan well ahead of season as it will likely take nearly a year to get back. I had an old Redfield 3 to 9 Illuminator that lost its internal gas and when I got it back it was like new. On my varmit rifle again

Attachments

• IMG_9361.jpeg
    IMG_9361.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Sightron makes some really tough scopes for the money. If you can find new old stock Big Sky line they have very good glass too. Anything out of the Kenko plant in Japan will have a bit better glass than the Philippine made but them STACs are a good value.

Sightron makes some really tough scopes for the money. If you can find new old stock Big Sky line they have very good glass too. Anything out of the Kenko plant in Japan will have a bit better glass than the Philippine made but them STACs are a good value.
Is there any easy way to tell if a scope was made at that plant? Or what scope lines were made made there?

Kenko also makes SWFA SS Classics in Japan. The SWFA HD stuff is probably made at LOW. Kenko in the Philippines probably makes more stuff for other brands than the Japanese plant.

Golden Eagle target scope was Kenko but the other Vortex Razor HDs were LOW.
https://sageratsafaris.com/kenko-tokina-rifle-scope-oem/

If SWFA ever offered this in a more hunting oriented version. It would be a super good scope. Shorter locking elevation turret and a capped shorter windage. It would be nearly ideal. Rumor is they will be but on the 3-9x42 HD.
https://swfa.com/swfa-6x42-ss-moa-quad-reticle-30mm-25-moa-clicks-rear-focus/
Sure hope this one gets a "hunting makeover" and not FFP to be honest. Anything under about 6x and in low light the reticle is almost useless.
https://swfa.com/swfa-3-9x42-ss-hd-mil-quad-reticle-30mm-tube-1-mil-clicks-ffp/

Years ago i tried two of Nikon's best most expensive scopes they both locked up,, Nikon has great glass ,,they're internals were always poor if you look at some of the refurbished sellers such as Natchez you'll see tons of refurbished nikons for sale hasn't anybody ever noticed that, Nikon has been the most failed,, rebuilt scope Company still trying to sell rebuilt scopes in America,, I'm surprised people haven't noticed now that doesn't mean your personal Nikon scope hasn't been good for you not trying to start anything to beat up anyone's Nikon scope but if you start investigating a little bit scopes with problems and don't realize Nikon is Tops on the list you haven't done your homework
Their old monarch UCC line was good, cheaper versions were just that.

First thing to consider is distance your average shot is taken. MZ and shotgun scopes generally have parralax set at 75 yards I believe, rifle scopes are longer.

If your shots aren't over 100 yards you might lean towards a shotgun/MZ scope, if longer a regular rifle scope.

Magnification is often thought of as another distance you shoot question. I maintain that should be decided on how close you might shoot, rather than how far. A good 3 x9 allows for shooting as long as us reasonable with most muzzleloaders...but if you want to be able to quickly pick up a very close critter in the timber or brush a 1 by or 2 by scope might work better.

Big power scopes are nice on the range but often come with big objectives, which require higher rings to clear the barrel, which can hamper your sight picture....mounting as low as possible is the usual goal to avoid that issue.

Reticle might be another decision. I don't have one but am a fan of the cross hair design with dots that allow easy adjustments for different ranges.

New I'd lean towards Leupold...their ultimate slam is a great choice.

Unfortunately few make 1 x or 2x variables anymore, which limits new choices, but I have had good luck looking for older models that are new or lightly used on auction sites ..my last 3 scope buys were off GunBroker and CList.

FWIW, I have an older 2x7 compact Burris on my Vortex Backcountry...gives me a combo as light as my lightweight rifles, great for long still hunts.

Last edited:
Back