What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went range to check my scope on my Elite all good now. Also sighted in new Vision decided to try 10 yr old 777, fffg I had it sealed up good when I went to Blackhorn. It had a few small clumps I broke them up and measured 100 gr by volume. Can’t believe it shot well from both guns, believe it or not I was able to reload the Vision without swabbing for like 10 shots I was amazed. It’s been so long since i shot 777 I forgot how easy the clean up is. Now to find some new trip 7 fffg and primers.

Took the Jukar 45 out. Fired about 50 Lee REALs. With the lube I used I never cleaned and it still maintained accuracy!

Next up was doing some accuracy testing with my 1858 Sherriff. 30gr of 777 3F/lubed wad/200gr REAL. Getting 4 inches at 40yds now if I do my part.

Now, I think I'll spend the evening casting some more lead!

I've had a Vortex on order for the Patriot .45 and got a note that this scope wasn't going to be available thru the company for another two months, so I cancelled. I had a mess of Scheels gift cards sitting here so I drove over and picked up a Vortex 3-9-40 Crossfire. It's mounted now and is a very nice scope. Clear. Very clear in fact.

My hunting is inside of 25 yards 90% of the time and in only one instance in the last 40 years have a shot beyond 100. I don't need any more than what this scope will deliver so I'm one very happy camper. Now.... if the weather will cooperate sometime next week.

was a decent day, went to the range and it was packed No openings on the rifle range all 24 spots had someone in them. So I went over to the pistol range and waited 25 min and shot 10 rounds through my .45 T/C Patriot then they were standing to shoot. So I packed up and left. Have never seen it so full. Everyone seemed to shooting some type of AR15 variant. Crazy. I will try to go out during the week when no-one is there.

I bore sighted the Patriot with the new Vortex on it this morning. Now all that's left is to shoot it. Very tempted to put a load in it and let it rip up in the air just to hear it go off out behind the garage. I don't think I'll do that though....upset the Mayo organization and possibly a couple of the neighbors which would bring cops.

I had thought about hitting the range this morning but my experience with weekend days and holidays is pretty much like LAUDY commented on. Maybe Tuesday or Weds morning. Early. We're due to get another blast of crap winter weather at the end of this upcoming week starting Thursday, so if the wind isn't too crazy on either of the early-week days I'm hitting the targets.

I have the grandson's T/C inline to shoot, too. He says it is off, but I wonder if it isn't him. He's not a strong study with muzzies. He bought the gun from his uncle and the uncle had shot a mess of deer with it and the grandson said he did nothing to it, so we'll see. I know he mentioned shooting pellets, but I'll be poking paper with BH209, black sabots and .45 cal 250 grain XTPs Probably start at 63 weighed grain of powder then move upward to about the 77 weighed grain mark Every in-line I have owned and shot BH thru, whether .45 or .50, found its best patterning between 63 weighed and 77 weighed, using bullets in the 240 grain to 300 grain area in sabots. Like I said, we'll see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back