What scope base for Knight Ultra Lite?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc22

Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation for a scope base. I’ve got a nightforce in steel rings that will float to it as the seasons change and hunts are available

I’ve got badger ordnance rings on at the moment, steel. They are 1” rings so if the rail is tall I may need new rings... Would prefer another quality base that would be compatible.

There is not another rail as good as the Murphy. Nothing is even close. Farrel makes one. Its about the same price and not 17-4 SS or true picatinny.

There is not another rail as good as the Murphy. Nothing is even close. Farrel makes one. Its about the same price and not 17-4 SS or true picatinny.
Murphy it is then. I’m hoping the stainless bead blast will be a good match for the knight ultra lite stainless barrel. I thought Murphy used to make rings too but didn’t see them listed.

If you get a Murphy you can order it slightly longer if you call. IIRC its the same price. IMO its a good idea to order it with 1 more slot in front. Two more slots if you got a really long scope or if using double lug rings like Contessa or TPS XTR rings.

Notice the 2 lugs on these rings. True picatinny is required or they wont fit. Contessa light weights are similar but much cheaper.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021740036

I have a similar sized Lehigh rail (no longer available) and double lug Contessa .815 low rings. The scope is a Diamondback HP 3x12x42. I just barely had enough room to get good eye relief. I would prefer the front ring to be 1 slot closer to the objective bell. These rings even though lows are still a bit tall for my liking. IIRC they are a little taller than many other 1" lows.
wOqVLxM.jpg

Last edited:
If you get a Murphy you can order it slightly longer if you call. IIRC its the same price. IMO its a good idea to order it with 1 more slot in front. Two more slots if you got a really long scope or if using double lug rings like Contessa or TPS XTR rings.

Notice the 2 lugs on these rings. True picatinny is required or they wont fit. Contessa light weights are similar but much cheaper.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021740036
Thanks for the heads up about this! Will definitely do that!

@Usmc22 I had a Murphy’s Rail on my .45 Cal Knight Mountaineer. They are Spendy, But HIGH Quality, and well worth it in my opinion
gHN5N27.jpg

AMlPKYi.jpg

This was my 1st long Range Session with it, 600 Yards on 8” Steel Gong.

Notice how the one Lewis bought has 1 extra slot in front and how his rings are "centered" between the turret and bells.

Notice how the standard base has one less slot
2-Knight-ML-Silver-TOP-BOTTOM.jpg

Murphy base if your rings are not too tall. The Murphy rail is rather tall already.

From looking at the rail, it does appear much taller in construction than others.
Has this caused a problem in finding rings low enough to both make it comfortable to center the scope in your eye, while also clearing the objective lens? (But then I guess the same could be said about any base/ring combo?)
That base is a big investment, so want to make sure it will work.

From looking at the rail, it does appear much taller in construction than others.
Has this caused a problem in finding rings low enough to both make it comfortable to center the scope in your eye, while also clearing the objective lens? (But then I guess the same could be said about any base/ring combo?)
I can keep you posted. Plan is Murphy Rail with Nightforce Rings and Scope

Attachments

• 3C590ED9-B60E-4FFB-8A0C-8D55D846C467.jpeg
    3C590ED9-B60E-4FFB-8A0C-8D55D846C467.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 114FD485-6F04-43B9-9201-783B296EC85D.jpeg
    114FD485-6F04-43B9-9201-783B296EC85D.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 7
I have always wanted a one piece base mount for my knight mountaineer 45 cal brux smokeless mzl.I now have a 2 piece base,but would feel safer with the one piece.References as to where possibly buy one?

I have always wanted a one piece base mount for my knight mountaineer 45 cal brux smokeless mzl.I now have a 2 piece base,but would feel safer with the one piece.References as to where possibly buy one?

I think you can only get it directly from Murphy. A couple places may sell them but i havent seen any of those vendors offer the Murphy Knight base.
https://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Item/1451

Add up the numbers.
Murphy base is .390" tall
The NF low 30mm rings for example are .885 to the center of the scope.
.390 + .885=1.275" from the barrel to the center of the scope.
All you need now is the OD of obj bell on the scope you want to use and divide the OD by 2
The Nightforce 3x10x42 for example has a 1.97" OD bell
So the bell OD is below the scope center line by .985" and the center line is 1.275" above the barrel
That leaves .29" of clearance....right?

I think i did that math right?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back