What scope base for Knight Ultra Lite?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also mention that Nightforce has a 5.1" mounting area. The space between bells total. The Murphy base is 4.5" long. So the standard base should be ok.
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Manuals/SHV_Owners_Manual.pdf
I would check how long it is with the additional cross slot. Its possible you could run into clearance issues with one of the bells using a longer base. My suggestion for the additional slot is for LONG SCOPES. Your 3.5" of eye relief might mean the scope needs to move back a little. My Scope is 4" of relief so it needs to go forward a tiny bit. The tube as it gets larger towards the Obj bell could hit the front of the base. My clearance issue is with the turret and the front ring.

My best guess is the standard base is probably a better choice for that scope and rings but you can ask Murphy to be sure. I THINK either one will clear the bells but it never hurts to call them.
cCLBZAt.png

Last edited:
That is assuming my math and published numbers are correct. My 1" tube 42mm obj (2") with .815 low rings fits with more than enough room but i dont have the base height measurement handy. I would prefer mine a bit lower but its seems fine as far as cheek weld. It was perfect with Warnes 1" lows.
y5Ryh3b.jpg

A bit tall with the Contessa lows
wOqVLxM.jpg

Have to passon the Murphy base.A little out of my range.Saw egw has them,but did not look like it has enough space to put a primer in the 209 bare primer system.

I think one of the guys that helps with or runs the Friendship matches uses the EGW. I just cant warm upto a 6061 extrusion and no HD option. Even a HD in 7075 would be ok if the price was similar to their other HD bases.

Maybe if enough people nag Lehigh he can run off another batch but tell him it needs another slot in front too. :p

Cant stand it any longer. Gunna try and get one ordered before the 11th. They close down on the 21st for the holidays and there is a chance it can be ready before they close if ordered before Friday.

Lew i sent you a PM with a question.

Ok, ordered mine with an additional slot.

BTW whoever ordered one with the additional slot its being cut tomorrow. That is what he told me on the phone so i got my order in minutes ago. I told him to make this change the standard Knight base. I think most would agree its needs one more slot unless you are using compact scopes.

Want one as well.Where did you order it from and would you mind telling me the cost.Got to wait til after the 20th when our muzzleloading season closes here in Indiana.

$125 shipped 10% off with the promo code but i didnt bother to wait to dig one up. He did send one for my next order.

Right on the website. Just add the 1 additional slot in the notes when you order. Its refreshing to call a business and you get a real person right away. We talked for a couple minutes then i let him get back to work. :D

He has cut several this way so the program is already set and ready to go on the CNC machine. It should look exactly like the one Lewis had.

Last edited:
NEWS:

Just placed my order. I called to verify how to add the additional slot.
Was informed that from this batch going forward, the additional slot is INCLUDED on each base. No need to request it anymore, as everyone wants it anyway.

Yes they fit the Mountaineer. Lewis had one on his and that is what mine is going on. I know they are expensive but its top shelf and 17-4 SS. You wont find better SS for our application. Its much better than 416 in all respects. Stronger and more corrosion resistant.

GREAT NEWS ...A supplier that listened and you can actually talk to easily. :bravo:
NEWS:

Just placed my order. I called to verify how to add the additional slot.
Was informed that from this batch going forward, the additional slot is INCLUDED on each base. No need to request it anymore, as everyone wants it anyway.

Last edited:
Yes they fit the Mountaineer. Lewis had one on his and that is what mine is going on. I know they are expensive but its top shelf and 17-4 SS. You wont find better SS for our application. Its much better than 416 in all respects. Stronger and more corrosion resistant.

GREAT NEWS ...A supplier that listened and you can actually talk to easily.

On top of all the Good, they look really nice to boot :lewis: That Cutout was NICE for my Big Fingers, That Murphy’s was the nicest scope Base I had ever owned, even against my Nightforce extreme Duty Base. WELL Worth the money!!

You can really tell in your pic its excellent machine work. The finish is great. Guys with compact scopes may not need the extra slot but i think most of us would like it. It solves all the potential headaches you might run into. My rings require true picatinny or they wont fit with 2 cross bars. The TPS XTR rings also wont fit unless its milspec. Cameron Murphy is a class act and its worth the extra coin to get exactly what you want and know its gunna work. I got through to him in one call and he answered the phone.

My next scope will probably be a 30mm tube and TPS XTR rings so i had to have exactly what i wanted. These just look so cool even if they aint steel :p
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021740036

Last edited:

GREAT NEWS ...A supplier that listened and you can actually talk to easily. :bravo:
I have those and they along with the fine rifle itself are about as close to perfect as you can get.

I’ve got a Murphy base on my ultra lite (with a mountaineer .45 barrel) and as others have said, it is about the best option available. My only complaint would be that the base is a bit higher than I would like and even with low rings (using Zeiss precision 30mm rings - 0.85 base to bottom of tube) the scope could be lower. I’ve got a Zeiss 4-16x44 on there currently and have the same scope in 4-16x50 and that clears as well so there is plenty of space. I like my scopes low for a solid cheek weld and with the current scope/base/ring combination it works but I wouldn’t mind it being a touch lower. Going to a 1 inch tube scope would help a little I would guess.
I figured I would add my setup since I’ve got a mountaineer barrel on there and scope clearance is fine even with the 50mm.
Lastly, murphy precision has great customer service and as others have mentioned, if you give them a call they will try to accommodate any requests you may have.

Im already fighting the ring height issue with my current rings which are .815 to the scope center line. I think the lower end Leupolds and Warnes are quite a bit lower but they are standard Weaver specs. Not a huge deal for most people. Sofar i cant find good/affordable picatinny 1" rings as low as rings like Loopie PRW2s, Vortex Pro or Warnes Horizontals.

I tried my Warnes lows with the Vortex HPs 42mm obj and clearance was about perfect. Those are .7xx something to the centerline. Forgot the exact number atm. Seekins/Vortex Precision 1" Weavers are .760" for the guys that dont care about picatinny spec. They will fit the rail but they are not cheap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back