What size bullet do i need?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could try "knurling" the bullets between two bastard files. I personally have had issue with no excuses measuring small compared to their advertised size.
Good idea, got some paper patched at .505”, pain in the butt. I wonder why i could not knurl them bullets up and size them to .505”, then treat them with lee liquid alox for the leading of the barrel?

Buffalo arms.504”, 450 grain swaged paper patch pure lead cup base bullets..

Attachments

• 2219FC85-24C0-4FE4-AFE0-740593791028.jpeg
    2219FC85-24C0-4FE4-AFE0-740593791028.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
After i watched your video it was easy to do. The part i did not like was hoping the paper was still attached when pushing it down the bore. I did not know when shooting these bullets if it matters or not..

The paper has to stay on going down.
There is some discussion about a twisted tail vs short tail folded over. I like both ways depending on the bullet. I do think a sort folded tail is a bit more accurate.

The paper has to stay on going down.
There is some discussion about a twisted tail vs short tail folded over. I like both ways depending on the bullet. I do think a sort folded tail is a bit more accurate.
I did the twist. Did not shoot enough to say if it was a pleasant experience or not. Have another 20 pp and ready to go. Now all i need is the wind to slow up a little. I always respect your opinion as your way ahead of me in this shooting style. I also tried the shooting sticks the other day at 350 yds, with the 6.5 creed moor, wow that was a real feat, just try to hit the gong. Lol thanks again IRon, appreciate it muchly…

Buffalo arms.504”, 450 grain swaged paper patch pure lead cup base bullets..
I like that bullet design, wouldn't mind testing out one like it but 400gr or less in my .50 1:24 Rigby Sporter clone, sized to my .503 bore or sized for PP ( which I want to try for myself too.

You could always try casting the bore and measuring

Or pm me your address and Ill drop a couple in the mail
i was wondering how you cast the bore of a muzzleloader?? i've done it with centerfire rifles before,, the cast easily being pushed out from the breech, & slugged a few 22 barrels too.... I haven't tried anything yet on my closed breech muzzleloaders,, thanks in advance!!!,, (i think it would be a good thing to know!!) & i don't know how as of yet....

I guess i should do that. I take a hard wood dowel and place it in the bore. Then take a pure lead slug and pound it into the barrel. It goes pretty easy once you get it started, go into the bore a few inches, and shake the barrel hard enough to get the dowel to pound out the slug. Done..

i was wondering how you cast the bore of a muzzleloader?? i've done it with centerfire rifles before,, the cast easily being pushed out from the breech, & slugged a few 22 barrels too.... I haven't tried anything yet on my closed breech muzzleloaders,, thanks in advance!!!,, (i think it would be a good thing to know!!) & i don't know how as of yet....
Great question.

I am a novice at the bore dia. testing. What i do know is your groove dia. is the sealing area. The Lands are what tells you the dia. of bullet. Take my barrel .400, that is the land size. Bullet will become very hard to load if much over bore size, quickly. .003 over would be a hammer smacker with a conical/bullet but a prb will fit .
That depends on hardness (BHN) adjust hardness if it moves try 40-1or 20-1 sometimes saves buying a new mold

Wishing someone would chime in here that is a bullet caster. I have a lyman .54 cal., new barrel that i shot the other day. I shot patched bullets with good accuracy. I want to shoot a conical bullet for deer to get their attention a little better. I had .542” no excuse bullets on hand to shoot, they loaded too easily for me to feel good lugging the gun around the woods for safety purposes of the bullet moving off the powder charge. How many thousands should i go up in diameter to get a tighter fitting bullet so safety and accuracy would be attainable? I think the bullets are mostly pure lead that are available to me commercially. View attachment 31935Thank you shorty..
I love those deer slayer bullets can't find them anymore guess they quit making them

My .58 caliber is sized .570, with a cloth patch, can be mighty tough to get down that barrel.

I do mine with "pin gauges" it just happens i have a big set of those that came with machine shop (at least set of machines & tools) i bought 20 yrs ago.. i can find bore size of a flash hole up to .500.. & its very easy,, you can buy sets reasonable that should cover your bore size & it's much easier than casting, & can be used over & over (obviously i haven't done my 54 barrel)

Last edited:
Wishing someone would chime in here that is a bullet caster. I have a lyman .54 cal., new barrel that i shot the other day. I shot patched bullets with good accuracy. I want to shoot a conical bullet for deer to get their attention a little better. I had .542” no excuse bullets on hand to shoot, they loaded too easily for me to feel good lugging the gun around the woods for safety purposes of the bullet moving off the powder charge. How many thousands should i go up in diameter to get a tighter fitting bullet so safety and accuracy would be attainable? I think the bullets are mostly pure lead that are available to me commercially. View attachment 31935Thank you shorty..
PM me an address and will send some I (EYE) conicals (Accurate mold) lubed with Lewis secret lube and the dry felt wads to protect the base. The wads are the secret to conicals and mine are pure lead . I also never size but use as cast with pure .I've seen some commercial conicals say lead but tester says otherwise , another reason to cast your own !/Ed

Latest posts

Back