What temp for alloy?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to cast some 40:1 and some 30:1. Wondering what temp works best for others. Ive only cast pure lead til now. Im using a bottom pour lee and the gould 330 mold.

around 800 degrees not much different than pure lead

I wasnt sure if too much heat could cause problems with the tin. Pure lead seems to be agreeable at a large range of temps. I pour hotter into my Lymans than I do into my Lee molds.

You should have no problems between 750 - 800 . If you do you might try ladle casting. Larger bullets seem to cast more evenly with a ladle. I do use a bottom pour for lighter bullets but much over 300 I go to the ladle. I like my bullets to be plus or minus .5 grain.

750-800 Degrees is what i Run my 1-40 at, I personally use a Lee 4-20 Bottom Pour, i Pour bullets as large as 650 Grains. I modified the Spout on my Bottom Pour Pot, i can fill a 650 Grain Mold Cavity every bit as fast as any Ladle, to the point i have to be Careful and fine Adjust the Shut off/Flow Stem or Lead will Actually Splash back out of my Mold :D I tried Ladle Casting and HATED it! I Just Couldn’t get a Feel/Rhythm down with it.

750-800 Degrees is what i Run my 1-40 at, I personally use a Lee 4-20 Bottom Pour, i Pour bullets as large as 650 Grains. I modified the Spout on my Bottom Pour Pot, i can fill a 650 Grain Mold Cavity every bit as fast as any Ladle, to the point i have to be Careful and fine Adjust the Shut off/Flow Stem or Lead will Actually Splash back out of my Mold :D I tried Ladle Casting and HATED it! I Just Couldn’t get a Feel/Rhythm down with it.
Did you just drill the hole bigger? I'm thinking that's what I need to do.

Latest posts

Back