What to do with "bad" ammo how to dispose of live or defective ammunition

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your original post says "one was Remington and one was Winchester." Your last post says Federal.

Post up a picture of the two shells showing us the primers so we can see the indent made by the firing pin.

hey no problem I'll do that but I'd almost sounds like you don't believe me.

originally I did say one Winchester and one Remington which is correct the last post I made a mistake. You're not being suspicious are you?

Attachments

• 16065905305575285194423432752206.jpg
    16065905305575285194423432752206.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 16065906279526628646889042989091.jpg
    16065906279526628646889042989091.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 21
If it’s “the very first bullet you tried in the rifle” and you haven’t taken the bolt apart and cleaned the packing grease, I’d start with that. Then I’d try firing those rounds again.

If it’s “the very first bullet you tried in the rifle” and you haven’t taken the bolt apart and cleaned the packing grease, I’d start with that. Then I’d try firing those rounds again.

As a practice I do a quick clean before I fire new rifles. I did not however take apart the bolt assembly.

Maybe I will take apart that bolt as I have not done that yet. You think the primers are good?

I wonder if I fill the dent in the primer with some melted plastic or something maybe then it will work?

It isn't a big deal to pull a bullet with pliers or a vise. If you're trashing it anyway, put the bullet in the vise and wiggle the case back and forth by hand until it pulls loose. I always like to put the powder in a jar lid and light it. I've always been surprised at how slowly the powder burns. As a kid a friend found a .22 round and decided to see if he could make it fire by smashing it with a rock. I left quickly, and fortunately, he couldn't make it fire. I've read about a guy that burned off a primer in an empty case with a propane torch. He was surprised by the high velocity of the primer leaving the case. WD-40 will eventually penetrate the primer seal and disable it. That was the only misfire I've ever had on a centerfire.

These two have been the first cartridges not to go off for me.

you want to hear something funny? One of the misfires is the very first bullet I tried in the rifle.

The second failure to fire came from a box of Federal Weeks later.

Everything since then it's been performing well.

I think this sentence is what Hal was thinking of. I wondered if one was a mis-print too. I am also in favor of pulling the bullets but I do have both kinetic and press mounted pullers.

Have you checked the bolt to make sure the firing pin and firing pin hole are clean and don't have a little crud in them? I saw a rifle at our club once that had a similar issue with some intermittent duds. Turned out to be caused by some crud in inside the bolt causing the firing pin to slow down a little. Just another thought.

Last edited:
As a practice I do a quick clean before I fire new rifles. I did not however take apart the bolt assembly.

Maybe I will take apart that bolt as I have not done that yet. You think the primers are good?

I wonder if I fill the dent in the primer with some melted plastic or something maybe then it will work?
DO - clean the bolt out.
Don't - melt plastic on to that dud.
One range i go to just keeps a jug of water on the back shelf that just says "DUDS" on it. Must have about 50 different rounds in it. Mostly .22 but plenty of cf ammo too. Sems like they never dispose of the old rounds in it, just leave them there.

Personally, I’d be very interested in checking the headspace of those two rounds.

It’s just that actual factory duds are incredibly rare, even reloaded duds aren’t really duds more often than not. Often times it’s a primer not fully seated or a gummy firing pin. My opinion is that factory duds are so uncommon that more than one probably means it’s something with the rifle. What’s the new rifle?

It’s just that actual factory duds are incredibly rare, even reloaded duds aren’t really duds more often than not. Often times it’s a primer not fully seated or a gummy firing pin. My opinion is that factory duds are so uncommon that more than one probably means it’s something with the rifle.

First time for me too. Everything else from those boxes did fine. I may try them again just to see. If they don't work I am going to see if the range will take them.

I sent an email to Remington to see if they wanted to do something about it. Would be nice to get a free box. But I doubt it.

Compare the depth of the firing pin marks on the fired brass vs the duds. If they are the same, it's probably bad ammo. If not, it's probably the gun.

The easy way is to drive by a river, stream, lake, or pond and throw it in. They will never be seen again.
I have used the bullet puller that Lew showed for many years. They work fine. There are different ones for magnum and non magnum rounds. If your not a reloader just toss them in the river.

I am probably just going to drop them in a lake at this point. Screw nature and screw trying to follow the law.

My neighbor across the street had someone over and the idiot backed into my car then took off after she hit it.

I was pissed how the hell do you hit a parked car? I went across the street and the claimed they did not have her number. Even though it was thier friend that comes over regularly. He even had the nerve to accuse me of parking in a strange spot.

I call the cops they did nothing. They would not even talk to the people across the street. I am done trying to be a responsible person. I am getting the hell out of this all black low income neighborhood. They take no responsibility for thier actions. Why should I.

Screw lead in the water I won't overthink it I will dump them wherever now.

I am probably just going to drop them in a lake at this point. Screw nature and screw trying to follow the law.

My neighbor across the street had someone over and the idiot backed into my car then took off after she hit it.

I was pissed how the hell do you hit a parked car? I went across the street and the claimed they did not have her number. Even though it was thier friend that comes over regularly. He even had the nerve to accuse me of parking in a strange spot.

I call the cops they did nothing. They would not even talk to the people across the street. I am done trying to be a responsible person. I am getting the hell out of this all black low income neighborhood. They take no responsibility for thier actions. Why should I.

How many lead sinkers have been lost in lakes by fishermen during the last 100 years?

It is unlikely that geese, or ducks, will eat your cast off cartridges.

Do not lose any sleep over it.

Then check on finding a new spring.

How many lead sinkers have been lost in lakes by fishermen during the last 100 years?

It is unlikely that geese, or ducks, will eat your cast off cartridges.

Do not lose any sleep over it.

Then check on finding a new spring.

You know that's a really good point and I didn't even think of that tons of lead sinkers hit the water everyday. some of them get lost but most of them stay submerged in water right. So why in the hell did they make people use steel shot when hunting ducks.

Just another example of the laws that don't make any sense.

You know that's a really good point and I didn't even think of that tons of lead sinkers hit the water everyday. some of them get lost but most of them stay submerged in water right. So why in the hell did they make people use steel shot when hunting ducks.

Just another example of the laws that don't make any sense.
Lots of states outlawed lead sinkers as well. I shouldn’t have said “lots”. Some states have outlawed lead sinkers.

You always have the option of just saving it for a souvenir.

I wouldn't throw them out just yet.
Most manufacturers like to get defective rounds sent back to them. They can measure the depth of the firing pin depth, which lets you know if your firing pin is functioning as it should, as well as pull the round apart to determine if the problem was with some part of their process.
To me the depth of your firing pin looks a bit shallow.
I had a friend that bought a new 9mm a few years ago. At the time I worked for CCI/Speer. My friend had several rounds out of a box of Blazer ammo (cheap plinking rounds) not go off, out of two different boxes. Many did go off fine. I looked at both the boxes of ammo and found they were from different "Lots" (sometimes a QC problem does happen, but usually within the same "Lot"), so I took some of them for samples and gave them to one of the QC guys to check out. It turned out that my friend's brand new pistol had a shallow hitting firing pin, around .002" shallower than it should be.
He ended up taking it in to be adjusted and it has worked flawlessly ever since.
Where yours happened across two different manufacturers it just might be that your rifle's firing pin depth is right on the edge. It could simply be coincidence that you got two dud primers too though, but it'd be nice to know the problem isn't with the rifle.

i would not expect a reply back from Remington. they have other troubles at the moment and there probably is no one to answer the phone.

on a high note i went past the ammo plant and there are cars in the parking lot.

i would not expect a reply back from Remington. they have other troubles at the moment and there probably is no one to answer the phone.

on a high note i went past the ammo plant and there are cars in the parking lot.
Yeah no response yet. Too bad I have so many good memories of buying thier 9mm ammo from Walmart for dirt cheap. I am glad they haven't been sued out of business yet by these damn vultures.

Latest posts

Back