What's In a Name?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKirby

Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack the "new" BlackPowderGuy's thread about changing a forum name, but it got me thinking, which led to a bit of reminiscing and of course this post.

When I signed up here what seems like forever ago, my wife and I had been married for just a couple years, no kids yet and had just recently got an Olde English Sheepdog puppy. His name was Kirby. A couple days before I signed up here we were out somewhere, I think at the lake maybe, and Kirby had taken a position standing with his front feet on a log facing into the wind and his extra long fur blowing back against his face. One of us commented about how with the sun on his face he looked like he was trying to strike superhero pose, hence SuperKirby. Funny thing was that dog was anything but a superhero - terrified of everything but in a way you couldn't help but laugh at how pathetic it was. Kirby has been gone for a couple years now but what an incredible dog he was. Helped all three of our kids that he was here for learn to stand as the would grab handfuls of his fur or his floppy ears, whatever they could get ahold of and pull themselves up. He would occasionally wince but never flinch. In the winter when they were learning to ice skate on the pond behind the house it was the same thing. He would stand right next to them and they would lean on him, walking at the same pace they were trying to skate at. I can honestly say I don't think he ever let one fall. The stories go on.
I miss that dog.

You know, I was going to post this because I've thought about changing my name as in PM's everyone thinks my name is Kirby. On second thought I think I'll leave it just a little longer.

You shouldn't even think of changing your screen name. That was a nice story and I feel your pain on the dog going away.

I had a dog like that when I was a kid. Bibbs was her name....she had a white "bib" on the front of her chest. She lived to be 17 years old and was a constant companion for my grandmother, who came to live with us when she was in her 90's. Where grandma went, the dog went. Miss them both.

Didn't want to hijack the "new" BlackPowderGuy's thread about changing a forum name, but it got me thinking, which led to a bit of reminiscing and of course this post.

When I signed up here what seems like forever ago, my wife and I had been married for just a couple years, no kids yet and had just recently got an Olde English Sheepdog puppy. His name was Kirby. A couple days before I signed up here we were out somewhere, I think at the lake maybe, and Kirby had taken a position standing with his front feet on a log facing into the wind and his extra long fur blowing back against his face. One of us commented about how with the sun on his face he looked like he was trying to strike superhero pose, hence SuperKirby. Funny thing was that dog was anything but a superhero - terrified of everything but in a way you couldn't help but laugh at how pathetic it was. Kirby has been gone for a couple years now but what an incredible dog he was. Helped all three of our kids that he was here for learn to stand as the would grab handfuls of his fur or his floppy ears, whatever they could get ahold of and pull themselves up. He would occasionally wince but never flinch. In the winter when they were learning to ice skate on the pond behind the house it was the same thing. He would stand right next to them and they would lean on him, walking at the same pace they were trying to skate at. I can honestly say I don't think he ever let one fall. The stories go on.
I miss that dog.

You know, I was going to post this because I've thought about changing my name as in PM's everyone thinks my name is Kirby. On second thought I think I'll leave it just a little longer.
Don't change the name. Your story makes it that much better. It's impossible to not miss a great pet when they're gone. Thanks for the story. It made my day.

sounds like he was a hero for your family .
not all hero's wear capes .
as others said , don't change a thing .

Latest posts

Back