Whats in your barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got back from the gun club. Another member was shooting at the 100 range 5 benches down from me. He had a sweet set up. Some kind of AR. Huge scope. Chrony stand 10ft in front of him. Big @$$ spotting scope. He used a laser bore sighter to set up his chronometer, so as not to hit it with a bullet. I thought "he aint foolin around". Started shootin my Accura .45. Others are shootin. Hes talkin to a buddy or someone. When he takes his first shot that laser pointer that he left in the barrel destroyed his chronometer. I didnt get pics cuz i was tryin not to be rude. Damn near choked myself not laughing tho. What a bummer. Ive seen fellas launch their ramrods before. On the up side, i got some fair groups with 80grV bh209 and 200grn SST in a blue crushrib with Win 209 primers. And good advice from the RSO on my scopes reticle.
20200926_111311.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch. Never a good idea to let yourself be distracted at the range when you have a lot going on.
For us front loader shooters that is every loading sequence. Getting interrupted is a quick path to the "dry ball" club for us, or worse, the double charge club.

Nice shooting.

I'll tell you a story. So first time I got to the range to test my Pietta there was a strange guy next to me who seemed to have an endless supply of .45 acp.

This guy wasn't even interested in a target check/change just bang bang. What annoyed me was his .45 cases were literally bouncing off my head. Whatever.

So he finally turned to me and started talking. The subject was politics (oh God I thought to myself).

when I'm at the range especially with black powder I'm hyper focused not really interested in talking more interested in shooting.

Anyway he goes on about a tirade about the governor and gun control rights and this and that. To which I reply I don't generally discuss politics. I guess I was completely ignored because he kept going with it. Pausing and seeing if I would respond. I didn't say a thing I just nodded my head and kept quiet until he stopped talking.

you see the last thing that I want to do is discuss politics with somebody with a 45 in their hand who seems less than stable. Sometimes we make mistakes sometimes some people just shouldn't own guns.

Getting back to destroying a crony. As I said especially when dealing with black powder I am extremely focused. if you saw me it would seem that I am scattered but in reality I've got about a thousand things going on my mind about shooting.

My point concentration is key. Visiting is nice talking shop chewing the fat all that it's great. But when I am shooting I prefer to focus on the task at hand.

I once took out my F1 Chrony with an OxYoke .45 caliber wad. It was under a cast 250 grain .45 and dead centered the display screen. Stupid thing weighed maybe 5 grains? Put a BIG dent in it...
I did exactly that with a wad from a .54 Renegade. The shooting Chrony people were very good and replaced the screen for me for a few bucks and shipping...

I like the conservation ran ranges here in and around the St. Louis area, they are pretty strict with how they run them and the only time a person has to get chatty is after hanging a new target during cease fire. The majority of my shooting time is spent on a friends private property, pretty nice being able to control who you shoot with lol

Nice grouping MichiganMuzzy!

Latest posts

Back