What's the plan of attack for you guy's???????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grouse said:
Hey Big6x6, you started this. :shock: :lol: If you told Kristel she had to use a White instead of her Savage. She just might trade you in. :lol: :lol:

Once I show her how easy the White is to shoot...she'll LOVE it.. ESPECIALLY when it comes to seating BULLETS! She has always had a hard time seating bullets in the 10ML-II....

Doohan said:
Loggy,

If the .451 is for squirell... what is the .410 for?

JJ,

A back-up Mehlig .451 Squirrel hit finisher off..er! :lol:

Good Morning Ed, Time to go to work...have a great day! :lol:

Maybe some of the Barnes TMZ's will come in for some of you guys and you guys can give them a good test! 8)

The meat processing was great last year. How are you guy's getting your sausage done? I want mine the same as last year. I just dont remember. :oops: I think mine was done medium. :?

Okay it's down to two bullets now. I either use the 45 long colt 451 225grn XPB. Or the new 250grn Bonded SW. I need to get to the range very soon. :) I wont be sighting in rifles at Crossville.

either a 250 bonded SW for me ... or a HUNTERMAN 390gr HP .410 conical ..

Right now it is a coin toss.... That .410 just may be my favorite rifle.

One could be my HB #106 with a 325gr .458 or 340gr .452 BearTooth hard cast LBT, a second choice could be my NEF/SMI with Cecil?s .40 225gr hard cast LBT and last but not least my Savage # 210 slug warrior with Remington Buck Hammer 12 ga. slugs...Let's not forget the .480 Ruger either... Its going to take a day at the range to figure out that?s for sure.

I'm still undecided on what bullet to shoot. If I can't find a load that is more accurate than the load/bullet combo from last year, I'll just use that. I do want to stick with the Barnes .458 "X" bullet tho, just undecided on the weight.

I'm going to have my sausage done a bit spicier this year. Last year was mild, it's medium this time.

Blue-Dot-37.5

I tried those today at the end of the day and couldn't do any better than a 1"w x 1 3/8" h group. I did notice that the loading pressure for the bullet/sabots were different. MMP Orange sabot. The force required was between oof! and two hands on the ramrod (w/T handle). I didn't increase the dia. of the bullets either. They seemed to load easier in a warm barrel. high 30's out today, full value wind, between 5 and 19 mph.

With the 300's, the loading pressure was more consistent, but the group size was worse due to not watching the wind. 2 shots were exactly vertical 3/4" apart, the last one was 1 1/2" to the right, but the wind quit right before I shot and I didn't compensate for it... :oops:

If you are getting good results from the 350's, how much of what powder? PM me if you don't want to go public.

The gun is a ML-II accutrigger, Stainless/camo tupperware.

Blue-Dot-37.5

well

Certainly no need to remind most seasoned hunters here but nevertheless...here goes.

Assuming your huntin Hogs with Daniels Dogs. With the frenzy of dogs barking, hogs wheeling, squeeling, ducking in & out from blowdowns & thick cover with dogs circling in from different directions etc. especially with our heavy hittin/penetrating MLers (or any gun) etc & its utmost important to look well behind Hog before squeezin off. I know last year I passed on several shots due to dogs being in harms way due to likely deadly pass thru of bullets. The Dogs wernt wearin Orange hats & blend in with the heavy cover & I just caught a flash of their color in background behind Hog and refrained from shooting.

This was my first Hog Hunt & using Dogs so I thought I'd share my experience for safety sake. :)

I know there was a prior post about wearing orange hats but this one is for the Dogs. :)

I'm going to try hunting from a stand again this year. I think it's easier to pick and choose the size of hog (I want another biggun this year), and I don't know how easy it is to pull the dogs away from a hog if you don't want to shoot it. Remember, we should shoot only the big ones! :lol:

Thanks for pointing that tip out again Loggy! I know that my bullet left a perfect "X" in the hog upon exiting, and RW shot 2 rams last year with one shot.... :shock: I think he was using the Barnes MZ bullet. RW?

Blue-Dot-37.5

I believe he said that the 2nd ram was about 50 Yds off to the side of the first one that he hit? And the 2nd one went down quicker than the first one? Was the bullet recovered from the 2nd one or was it a pass thru also? I know it was kinda dark at the end.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
Was the bullet recovered from the 2nd one or was it a pass thru also? I know it was kinda dark at the end.

Blue-Dot-37.5

I'm not sure about the bullet recovery. I do remember the first ram required a second shot. The one he wasnt shooting at went down like a ton of bricks. They might of recovered the second shot on the first Ram? Pat Allen and Randy can better answer those questions.

VENISONEATR said:
Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
I do want to stick with the Barnes .458 "X" bullet tho, just undecided on the weight.

Blue-Dot-37.5

350 gr. and have no worries!! 8)

You aint right jimmy! Have you added 20# of lead to your stock or something? That just hurts thinking about it!

..... note to self: bring bandaids for Jimmy!

Back