What's your favorite model and caliber?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the risk of being routed by a group carrying pitchforks and tapers I must be the contrarian of this thread. My go-to deer rifle is a .45 flintlock longrifle. Light at 7 lbs it is accurate and has taken more deer than all my others put together. This with ONE shot each. Loaded with 60 to 70 grains of 3F black and a .445" round ball with a canvas patch it will group closer than I can shoot.

My absolute FAV ML by far is the Omega. It just checks all the boxes for a go-to hunting ML I would love a dozen of them & would be happy if I had nothing else.
Looking at " traditional " ML's, its the GIBBS hands down. Either caliber.
FAV Cal - I'd have to say from shooting nuthin but .50's until 3.5yrs ago when I got my first .45 then got a .40 & for all practical purposes its the .45, but my personal fav is the .40.

When I first started shooting muzzleloaders everyone was going for the 50 cals and I was no exception even though I killed my first muzzleloader deer with a .45 and PRB. Now, though I have a stack of .50 cals, I find myself grabbing either my Renegade with a .58 Green Mtn barrel or my Hawken with a .45 Rice fast twist barrel.

Last edited:
My favorite muzzleloader is the TC Fire Hawk in .54 caliber. Bought that rifle at a pawnshop for $100. Don't think it had been fired. After bedding the action and adjusting the trigger it became a very accurate rifle. The scope is a Weaver Grand Slam.

My Fire Hawk fires patched round balls like a laser using 100 grains of Shooters World 3F powder. There's no breech plug to clean.

Last edited:
When I first started shooting muzzleloaders everyone was going for the 50 cals and I was no exception even though I killed my first muzzleloader deer with a .45 and PRB. Now, though I have a stack of .50 cals, I find myself grabbing either my Renegade with a .58 Green Mtn barrel or my Hawken with a .45 Rice fast twist barrel.
Brother you can never go Wrong with a T/C Hawken..... My Favorite is the Pre- Warning 50 Cal Hawken with peep sight ..

It just depends on what type of hunting I'm doing. If stalking I'll grab the Redemption every time. For any type of still hunting I'd go with the Omega or the ultralite. Most all my guns shoot good groups. Sometimes takes a lot of work to work up a good load. I enjoy it every step of the way.

I’m one of the few that really doesn’t care for the 91’s. I’ve never liked longer guns and that includes shotguns. I know the advantages of longer barrel’s especially in a smokepole. I have G Series .504 right now that is a shooting machine. Years ago I had an original Knight Disc rifle that loved 150gr charges. Me or the deer not so much! I do have a CVA smokeless conversion that is a great shooter. I do like not having to clean all of the time.

For fun I like plinking with my Seneca,.36 and hunting my .58 Renegade which is very likely to be replaced by my Mountaineer. 45.
My Seneca .36 is my "Meat Gun" I use MMP Sabots with Home made 115 Grain. .3135 Bullets made of 1/4" I D.Soft Copper Tubing and pour the Pure lead core so it " holds together!" My other is a Green Mountain.62 for My. Renegade stock Smoothbore for Turkey with shot and .595 Round Ball fer Bear ,Elk And Moose

My Seneca .36 is my "Meat Gun" I use MMP Sabots with Home made 115 Grain. .3135 Bullets made of 1/4" I D.Soft Copper Tubing and pour the Pure lead core so it " holds together!" My other is a Green Mountain.62 for My. Renegade stock Smoothbore for Turkey with shot and .595 Round Ball fer Bear ,Elk And Moose
I'd like to see a pic of those bullets. How in the world do you ensure the copper is straight enough and what shape are they? I'd imagine they would be like a wadcutter. Sounds like the weight would be all over the place. Why not just use 36 cal maxiballs?

Latest posts

Back