Where are the .45 cal ML-BP bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAUDY1962

Reaction score
Here is my concern. I am shooting a new CVA MR-x.45cal. Accura. I love this weapon. Currently I am shooting the Hornady xtp/ harvester blue sabot and the t/c - SST 220 grn. Bullet. I am hearing rumors that the .40 cal is already dead. You see tuns of 50 cal (Which I have plenty of). Concerned that I have invested a chunk on this new .45 and I am scared it is going by the way side. Are they gonna make bullets for the .45 other those I mentioned. I am not a FAN of the Powerbelt ELR bullets, Have any of you heard anything or is the .45cal somewhat new on the front???? hoping that there are more offerings. Finding it hard to find Hornady SST in 45 cal.

Here is my concern. I am shooting a new CVA MR-x.45cal. Accura. I love this weapon. Currently I am shooting the Hornady xtp/ harvester blue sabot and the t/c - SST 220 grn. Bullet. I am hearing rumors that the .40 cal is already dead. You see tuns of 50 cal (Which I have plenty of). Concerned that I have invested a chunk on this new .45 and I am scared it is going by the way side. Are they gonna make bullets for the .45 other those I mentioned. I am not a FAN of the Powerbelt ELR bullets, Have any of you heard anything or is the .45cal somewhat new on the front???? hoping that there are more offerings. Finding it hard to find Hornady SST in 45 cal.
Learn to cast ,it's a sport and you will never run out of your favorite bullet ! You will end up with a sizable mold collection (all tradeable)/Ed

I think chances are good that if you are shooting the blue sabot with copper jacketed bullet now that you can shoot just about any copper jacketed, copper or cast, .40 cal bullet in the same sabot. If you stumble across a bullet that loads a bit stiff in the plain blue sabot, try it in a crush rib. Also, if your gun is tight enough to launch a sabot other than those ELR things, your gun is likely tight enough to do a full-length trial slug test with your rod to see if the barrel has any loose spots which might get in the way of your being able to shoot a .45 cal bullet sabotless. Use a 3/8" wood dowel about two inches longer than the entire barrel length and gently tap a .50 cal round ball into the muzzle end then use the dowel to tap the ball thru the barrel, slowly actually it should just push thru with not a lot of pressure. If you notice an area that needs greater pressure or simply lets the ball and rod slip thru without any real pressure, then you may have a problem and may not find shooting sabotless doable reliably. Honestly I think by loading a sabot you should be able to tell if there are spots in the barrel that are too tight or loose, but with the lead ball trick you can measure across the grooves in the ball and help determine what diameter bullet you need to shoot sabotless.

I'm ordering those Fury .40 cal star tips for one of my .45 rifles so I can expand a little from the XTPs I currently shoot in one and will be shooting in the other to move to the star tips when the gun is sighted.

Granted, the .40 cal fodder used in sabots with a .45 may almost look like a stigma but really that's not the case. The worst place to shop for .45 bullets in in the box stores. Going on-line is you friend here. And, as others have alluded to, casting your own lead bullets can bring you a bit closer to your gun and its capabilities.

Congrats on your acquisition and enjoy your shooting!

There will always be .40 pistol bullets you can shoot as well as all lead conical options. You might not be able to walk into Walmart or your neighborhood gunshop to get them so you might have to plan ahead.
I like the .40 Barnes bullet in 195 grains and I plan to order some Swift A-Frame .40 pistol bullets in 200 grain next time they become available.

Last edited:
There will always be .40 pistol bullets you can shoot as well as all lead conical options. You might not be able to walk into Walmart or your neighborhood gunshop to get them so you might have to plan ahead.
I like the .40 Barnes bullet in 195 grains and I plan to order some Swift A-Frame .40 pistol bullets in 200 grain next time they become available.
Sabot-ed .40 pistol bullets will shoot just fine.... but IMO not the best for Big-Game hunting unless the shots are lung shots. I've taken deer with the .40 Nosler Sporting Handgun 200g in a sabot but no pass through and no bang-flop.

Full bore to sabot there's LOTS of .45 bullet options out there! Just to name of few the .40 CUTTING EDGE 150 gr; .40 BARNES 195 gr; .40 HORNADY XTP 200 gr; .40 LEIGH 200 gr; .40 PrBULLETS 250 gr; and even the unpopular .45 300 Grain PLATINUM PB have been used successfully hunting with me. There are many other options out there.

Sabot-ed .40 pistol bullets will shoot just fine.... but IMO not the best for Big-Game hunting unless the shots are lung shots. I've taken deer with the .40 Nosler Sporting Handgun 200g in a sabot but no pass through and no bang-flop.

Full bore to sabot there's LOTS of .45 bullet options out there! Just to name of few the .40 CUTTING EDGE 150 gr; .40 BARNES 195 gr; .40 HORNADY XTP 200 gr; .40 LEIGH 200 gr; .40 PrBULLETS 250 gr; and even the unpopular .45 300 Grain PLATINUM PB have been used successfully hunting with me. There are many other options out there.
Had a question on these two so thought it best to just post a few pics. Not sure if they are still made.

Here is the .40, 250 grain bullet

and the Leighs. Left is the .45 200 grain, Middle is .40 200 grain and Right is .40 185 grain.

Plenty of options in 45 , you’re not looking in the right places, the 40 is just getting started and I believe is here to stay
Amen. .40 cal is legit. Give it time. That caliber gives muzzys a serious jump in trajectory while maintaining serious knockdown power out to incredible range. Let some more states become open to legalizing it for hunting and I bet you’ll see a surge of .40 cal muzzys. With the ballistic advantage it brings it would be foolish to not expand on it.

the 40 is just getting it's legs under it as far as bullets they to will evolve and grow but you can always cast them such as these here Green.jpg

Latest posts

Back