where are the remington 700 short 308 actions?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
Iv'e been toying with the idea of starting to get the parts for a future build and have noticed that none of the distributors I have looked at have the remington 700 or savage actions. this would be a DIY build. I have seen some high end actions but they are cost prohibitive for my needs. I already have a scout conversion so no real hurry but just wondering where ya'll are getting these actions for DIY builds.

Try Hank's Precision Gun Parts. I think he still has some remmy actions.

I think for now they are not being made, and with Rem Firearms going to a holding company, who knows. The RUM is out of production also. I've seen new RUMs selling for 1300 bucks. 700 short actions are getting scarce and people are buying and hoarding.

I had been looking recently also & with the prices think I am just going to build my 700ml & deal with the bolt screw.

I think for now they are not being made, and with Rem Firearms going to a holding company, who knows. The RUM is out of production also. I've seen new RUMs selling for 1300 bucks. 700 short actions are getting scarce and people are buying and hoarding.
Yep. I own a gunshop and build custom rifles on 700 actions. While I have several in stock, they are all spoken for. I bought up several when I first heard Remington going into bankruptcy again. Now it's just a matter of getting all the other components to build these for customers and my store......

This is a Savage target action, but it is not cheap.
The Accutrigger is one of the safest factory triggers on the market, in my opinion.

Savage Target Action Stainless Standard .308 Bolt 18184 - Rifle Bolts at GunBroker.com : 886368031

This is the single port, which I prefer over the Dual Port.

The advantage of the Savage is that the average Do-it-yourselfer can buy a Savage barrel nut wrench and install one the the barrels from Arrowhead or others.
You pay more up front, but you may save in the end.

You can also get the Savage actions for the 1-1/8" OD barrels, which allow you to use slightly hotter loads.

You can make your own barrel vise blocks by drilling a hole in a couple of blocks of wood the diameter of the barrel shank, and then put some rosin on barrel shank to keep it from slipping.
Clamp this setup in a standard shop vise and you are ready to switch barrels on the Savage, if you have a barrel nut wrench.

Last edited:
Northland Shooters Supply has some Savage Target actions. You can have a nutless barrel installed just like a Rem if you really wanted. Without the nut the threaded shank size does not really matter. Rem700 is about the same as a small shank. The actual barrel OD is what matters and it can be plenty big without the barrel nut.
https://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/savage/
Personally, both of those actions are much larger than needed for a SML. The Mini Howa is perfect and inexpensive. They weigh about the same as a NULA 20 action.

Last edited:
They are under $450 when you can find them. A complete rifle is under $600. Brownwells was the last place i saw the actions.

Rem actions are like unicorns right now with them going the bankruptcy route. Ive moved to using custom actions. That way I can always move it to a centerfire if I wanted to. The best bang for the bung is the origin by bighorn. They're $850 but you can always get your money back if you decide to sell it down the road.

There's a newer company that is supposed to be putting out customs actions for around a new 700 action, but they will hold tighter tolerances and be able to run shouldered prefits. I havent gotten one in hand yet so I can't recommend them.

Pacific tool and gauge has them right now, they have bought up the remaining stock of what Remington had when they went out of business

Pacific tool and gauge has them right now, they have bought up the remaining stock of what Remington had when they went out of business
I had read that but they've taken down the page for them. They bought barreled actions and all. Im waiting for them to start selling to hopefully pick up a few gems!

If you go to the actions tab on their site, they have just the actions in stock, with or without a bolt. I called them and ordered a stainless left hand short action about 2 weeks ago. The barreled actions are a separate thing. I’m excited to grab one or couple of those too though when they become available.

If you go to the actions tab on their site, they have just the actions in stock, with or without a bolt. I called them and ordered a stainless left hand short action about 2 weeks ago. The barreled actions are a separate thing. I’m excited to grab one or couple of those too though when they become available.
Hey just a heads up. They put the barreled action up. I was gonna grab at least two until I called for the details. None come with a bolt and they are offering their bolt for $450 more. At that price it's not really a deal.

Hey just a heads up. They put the barreled action up. I was gonna grab at least two until I called for the details. None come with a bolt and they are offering their bolt for $450 more. At that price it's not really a deal.

well that figures! And they don’t have the barreled action I wanted on the most updated list. I wanted a 300 win left handed to be cleaned up with a 30 nosler reamer since they are short chambered. I did see that they have an option to have a bolt of their choosing included for $500. But I haven’t called and talked to them. I will tomorrow. Thank you for the heads up

well that figures! And they don’t have the barreled action I wanted on the most updated list. I wanted a 300 win left handed to be cleaned up with a 30 nosler reamer since they are short chambered. I did see that they have an option to have a bolt of their choosing included for $500. But I haven’t called and talked to them. I will tomorrow. Thank you for the heads up
No problem! If you happen to find out different let me know. The guy i talked to didnt seem very informed.

Just a random thing too. You wouldn't happen to be from East TN would you?

Latest posts

Back