Where to Zero

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curley

Reaction score
If I just use a regular duplex reticle, (not a BDC, just crosshairs) is there a distance to zero in that makes more sense than 100 yards? Seems like I've read suggestions of 125 or 175 yards but I can't find it. I usually use 80 gbv BH 209 and 300 gr sabots. 200 would be about the furthest I would shoot a deer in my area. I have an Optima V2 that is OK, not great, to that distance. If I thought my gun was more consistent at longer ranges I would look at BDC but so far, I do not think so.

I'm sure you're right. I just thought I've read before that there's not much rise at 50, and 100 if you zero further out. Just wondering if anyone here has done that.

I use a PBR sight in process (Point Blank Range) to sight a rifle in. I set the PBR range to 3" meaning I will never be higher or lower than 3" through a given range. The problem is you really need to know the velocity of the round you are shooting and the BC of the bullet at your altitude.

He is an example Ballistic Sheet.

Lehigh-452-265-CF-HP.jpg

The chart shows you with the EXPECTED impact point point a various ranges. You can see the bullet is up approximately 3" at 100 and down 3" at someplace beyond 185 yards. From that point I do the shooting at the appropriate ranges to verify what the chart is indicating.

Works really well for me and hunting deer and elk. Not so good making money shooting targets.

Last edited:
Good suggestions from Lewis and sabotloader. I do what Lew does. 100 yard zero and know with my whites I’m dropping about 18” at 200. With my guns that shoot sabots, the drop isn’t that much. I primarily hunt with my Whites. I have Nikons on most of them and at 6x I can pretty much use each line for a reference point at every 50 yards to about 250 yards. I seldom shoot beyond 200 though with most of my shots being between 75 and 150 yards

Not to challenge Idaho (lots of respect for his skills, all of them) but if you use a 130 yard zero @1650FPS (80 grains powder and 300 gr projectile) with a bullet that has a BC of .2 (just a guess) you will be within 3" out to 150 yards. 3" high or low on a deer is not going to make a difference AS LONG AS YOUR SHOOTING AT THE MIDDLE ELEVATION WISE.

I was writing this as sabotloader and sdporter chimed in.

Thanks so much. that's the info I was looking for. I see where to get the velocity data from the BH website, but where do I get the BC data? Bullet manufacturer? Then I can use the Barnes Calculator?

I go to a supply company like Midway USA and just look at similar caliber and bullet profiles. Use those numbers. Its not exact but it will get you close. They may even provide BCs that are a little optomistic. After you get some shooting in you need to confirm it on some targets. Part of the fun.

One more question for sabot loader. Where do I go for that calculator. I assumed I would go to the Barnes site and go to it but I don't see it.

I like to use the 125 yard zero as suggested by doc white which allows you to take shots at muzzleloader velocities out to 150 yards without much thought and still hit the deer vitals. Regardless of what you zero at, I still think you need to practice in 25 yard increments out to your farthest desired distance and record it for your own records.

Regardless of what you zero at, I still think you need to practice in 25 yard increments out to your farthest desired distance and record it for your own records.

Good advice. This is what I do. My rifles are zeroed at 100 yards. My Optima pistol at 50. The rifles I take to the range and shoot at various known ranges just to keep me in touch with the guns. When doing this I use less expensive bullets that shoot almost spot on with the hunting bullets and I do not shoot so much for groups as I do just to shoot and practice good techniques. I know where the guns shoot with the hunting bullets at different distances for when the season is on me and this practice just keeps me sharp. I shoot the same way with the pistol for the same reasons.

Where I hunt my shots are seldom much more than 25 yards, but occasionally they'll reach out a ways. This year's rifle shot buck was a short one at about 13 yards and the pistol taken doe was even shorter being between 7 and 8 yards. Practicing those short shots are a must too.

Last edited:
Funny you should talk about short distances with a pistol, I've shot 2 bucks at the 5 yard or less range . One in a tree stand and another when I was laying on a hill with my head proper up ,I could of swore he would have walked on top of me if I hadn't sat up and shot.

Where I hunt my shots are seldom much more than 25 yards, but occasionally they'll reach out a ways. This year's rifle shot buck was a short one at about 13 yards and the pistol taken doe was even shorter being between 7 and 8 yards. Practicing those short shots are a must too.
[/QUOTE]

I sight in all my rifles (except 22) 3 inches high at 100yds to minimize drop out to 200. My SML's will drop about 6" @ 200, still minute of deer! My CF's will have max point blank range out to 250 or so with this setting.

Good suggestions from Lewis and sabotloader. I do what Lew does. 100 yard zero and know with my whites I’m dropping about 18” at 200. With my guns that shoot sabots, the drop isn’t that much. I primarily hunt with my Whites. I have Nikons on most of them and at 6x I can pretty much use each line for a reference point at every 50 yards to about 250 yards. I seldom shoot beyond 200 though with most of my shots being between 75 and 150 yards
If I just use a regular duplex reticle, (not a BDC, just crosshairs) is there a distance to zero in that makes more sense than 100 yards? Seems like I've read suggestions of 125 or 175 yards but I can't find it. I usually use 80 gbv BH 209 and 300 gr sabots. 200 would be about the furthest I would shoot a deer in my area. I have an Optima V2 that is OK, not great, to that distance. If I thought my gun was more consistent at longer ranges I would look at BDC but so far, I do not think so.
I zero at 100 yards. And then I take the time to move out at 50 yard increments and shoot and record the data. Ballistic tables are fine as they are based on sound theory but there is no substitute for range/trigger time. And along the way I find my limitations... too many shooters go afield thinking they have none or that they're only limits are based on their equipment which is pure folly. I've been in the shooting sports for nearly 50 years and one thing I know for sure is I'm not capable of what I once was when I was younger.

Last edited:
shooterscalculator.com is my favorite ballistic calculator. It has a point blank range calculator. Just know that ballistic coefficients for muzzleloaders are often a rough guess, so verify your calculations at the range. I found I could zero my rifle at 150 meters (our range is metric), and shoot right on to 190 yards. It makes me 4" high at 100, and 4" low at 190. So for most shots you don't have to think about it, you just aim and shoot. At my max range of 220 meters, I could hold the thick post of the duplex high on their back and hit. For smaller deer, you may want to limit yourself to 3" or 3.5" variation, but I find that at 100 yards, I'm accurate enough that 4"high on a mule deer doesn't make much difference, in fact, I believe a little high kills faster.

Using just 80gr by volume with a 300gr XTP you probably DONT want to hit a deer with that past 150yards. I dont think its gunna expand.

That is only around 1650-1700fps at the muzzle.

Using a BC of .200 and a MV of 1700fps you are down to under 1200fps at 200yard. Those numbers are probably a tad optimistic also. Sighted in a 125 you are never above or below line of sight by more than 3" out to 150. You are over 13" low by 200yards.

So its a ok 150 yard load assuming the bullet expands at 1250ish fps. It would be point and shoot from 0-150.

RangeVelocityEnergyTrajectoryCome Up (MOA)Come Up (MILS)Wind DriftWind Drift (MOA)Wind Drift (MILS)
017001925.0-1.50.00.0000
2516161739.00.7-2.5-0.7000
5015361572.02.0-3.8-1.1000
7514601420.02.4-3.0-0.9000
10013881284.01.8-1.7-0.5000
15012601057.0-3.01.90.5000
1751204965.0-7.34.01.2000
2001154888.0-13.26.31.8000
2251111822.0-20.78.82.6000
2501074768.0-29.911.43.3000

Latest posts

Back