Which percussion caps?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Voorhees

Reaction score
I am stopping by my lgs after work tomorrow and purchasing a Traditions Northwest Magnum, I want to try one, something new and exciting for myself as I have only shot 209 primers and pellets for 20 years. I am going to order a handful of cans so I never have to buy again but I am unsure on which no 11's I should get? I will probably test out some bh 209 and can get the cci no 11 mags or cci no 11's in 100 packs.I will see if the lgs has them but I am going to order some as well....I also can order the Remington no 11. I have only started looking into a "northwest" .50 cal for a few weeks. Thanks.

Real black such as Swiss, Goex, etc has the lowest ignition point - primers aren’t necessarily as critical.
CCI mag are popular with a lot of cap shooters.

Are you sure that # 11 caps or musket caps are what you need?
Also to add that Blackhorn 209 won't work as a powder for that setup.
Triple 7, Pyrodex RS or Select or real black powder is what you need to use.

Thanks,Id just go with triple 7 then and this is what the "specs" say. I was looking at musket caps as well but was not sure on which ones.

Buckstalker™ Features:

• Magnum Musket Ignition
  • Accelerator Breech Plug™
  • 24" Barrel with Premium CeraKote Finish
  • LT-1 Alloy Frame
  • Speed Load System - easy loading and more consistent groups
  • Dual Safety System - internal hammer block safety and trigger block safety
  • TRUGLO® Fiber Optic Sights
  • Quick-T™ Ramrod Handle
  • Lightweight and maneuverable
  • Accurate up to 200 yards
  • Fast action release button
  • 1:28" twist rifling
  • Extended ambidextrous hammer extension
  • Drilled and tapped for a scope

I am stopping by my lgs after work tomorrow and purchasing a Traditions Northwest Magnum, I want to try one, something new and exciting for myself as I have only shot 209 primers and pellets for 20 years. I am going to order a handful of cans so I never have to buy again but I am unsure on which no 11's I should get? I will probably test out some bh 209

Percussion caps will not ignite BH-209

and can get the cci no 11 mags or cci no 11's in 100 packs.I will see if the lgs has them but I am going to order some as well....I also can order the Remington no 11. I have only started looking into a "northwest" .50 cal for a few weeks. Thanks.

My suggestion get CCI #11 MAGS for target practice and recreational shooting. They are a lot less expensive than the RWS Dynamit Noble 1075 plus caps. I consider the 1075's the best cap.

11-Caps-a.jpg

The RWS caps are considered the hottest cap on the market.

Check this link out ... read the product description

RWS™ #11 Percussion Caps | 1075 | Muzzle-Loaders.com

I personally prefer T7 powder. It really produces a significant increase in velocity than most real BP and subs. It is less corrosive than real BP and BP subs.

Well now as I read your rifle description it appears you do not have a choice - you will be shooting Musket caps and in that case the RWS Dynamit Noble 1081 is an excellent choice.

RWS™ Musket Caps 4-Flange Percussion Caps | 1081 | Muzzle-Loaders.com

Last edited:
Yes sir, you need Musket caps.
Shuetzen are probably the best ones out there.
CCI musket caps are ok if that's all you can get but don't get the re-enactor ones.
Graf and sons is an online source for the Shuetzen musket caps.

I personally have shot nothing but triple 7 pellets forever and killed every animal I have ever shot at with them,so staying with the triple 77 powder is fine with me,as I also have tons of pellets here. I read up on those rws caps but figure I won't be able to find them locally and could not locate them up here online, so far, so I can get the cci's and if the lgs has any at all? I wont know until I get there,I assume he will. I know not to get the re-enactor caps,but Thanks for pointing that out. I will probably just purchase 3-4 tins of the cci no 11 mags unless I can locate the rws.

I personally have shot nothing but triple 7 pellets forever and killed every animal I have ever shot at with them,so staying with the triple 77 powder is fine with me,as I also have tons of pellets here. I read up on those rws caps but figure I won't be able to find them locally and could not locate them up here online, so far, so I can get the cci's and if the lgs has any at all? I wont know until I get there,I assume he will. I know not to get the re-enactor caps,but Thanks for pointing that out. I will probably just purchase 3-4 tins of the cci no 11 mags unless I can locate the rws.
# 11 caps are NOT what you need. MUSKET CAPS!!

And you dont want to use pellets with percussion caps. Use loose Triple7 and you should be ok.

Good info, I can only seem to locate replica musket caps so far online, I see some cci's that say they work for both,but I will keep looking today at work when we are slow and call the lgs in area and maybe they have them in stock.

I am not in the usa and the usa will not export musket caps,etc. I have not found any place yet with any in stock up here but I did however find a breech plug conversion kit to 209 primers so I may pick the gun and kit up for now and then keep looking for the musket caps I need,I don't really need the gun but I want it. My plan is to go pick it up tomorrow evening. I am going to surf for musket caps tonight,maybe I will come across some. Thee place where the gun is has none in stock.

Ya,It can be a pain in the ass when you can't locate what you need. I hoard all turkey ammo I can get in 20 gauge and I couldn't care less who cries over it online, and when I find the musket caps I need,Ill buy more than enough to last my lifetime. First come,First serve.
I am not overly shocked the musket caps are hard to find,never seen anybody run anything but 209 primers from an inline up here,all over and never once sold anything but 209 primers or pellets,or very rarely should I say.I can't even find a Cva wolf northwest to buy as that was the gun I first was interested in,as I want something else to tinker with.I could just buy a conversion kit for my optima but that would be well....boring.

Back