Which scale for weighing powder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott, those are all double drops. Probably kinda near max for a single drop, but don't really know. Seems like near max drops aren't as accurate as lesser drops..............but who knows?

Years ago when shooting magnum magnum loads, and filling cases full of powder, we learned we could get more powder into a case if we used a long drop tube, and made double drops. Double drops kinda became a habit.

If i can weigh on my Chargemaster or throw loads that produce a 3 shot clover leaf at 100 yards i dont really care. Time then becomes the factor more important to me. I can spend hours weighing 50 shots on a beam scale or minutes using another method.
I suppose that does have merit . But my 300 win mag has shot a .418 dia 5 shot 1 hole group . Im still striving for that out of a mz @100 yds . Thats my yardstick .

Ron
Do you like it better than the Redding you had?

The one that caught my eye is the Lyman #55 because it will throw a larger "volume". The RCBS high volume model is in the $125 range. The Lyman will also clamp to a table if you wish.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012880550
The unique three slide adjustable cavity coupled with extra fine adjustments of width and depth provide consistent charges with almost any powder. The 200 grain metering capacity with an attached knocker assures a complete charge every time. The 2400 grain reservoir resists chemical action and protects your powder from harmful light rays. Mount on a bench, stand or press.
7767783_no55powdermeasure.jpg

Scott, these days the 3BR is mostly used for loading the AR, and various hand guns, using mostly ball, or flake powder. So many many shots are taken, and loads are made, the scale is never used for these loads; they are mass produced one at a time. The 3BR is also used loading H4350 for the 6.5 BR Magnum. The 3BR kinda seems to handle the H4350 better than the Uniflow, but maybe not?

The boy confiscated the original Uniflow from long ago; the 3 BR was a replacement, and it works good. The current uniflow is new old stock, and it works good. It kinda seems to be good, not to mix Blackhorn, with real smokeless powder, but who knows.............

How's the old saying go- 'close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades'. Some of the replies here have emphasized accuracy for one of the reasons to get a scale. Being rather new to this sport, establishing accuracy with loads seems like sound advice to me. That's what helped me decide to get a scale. Thanks for all the replies.
A powder trickler really helps with EXACT measurements . Id get one of those too . They are really inexpensive and sure make the job alot easier . Several powder tubes to fill in advance are really nice as well . Seems like you can never have too many of those !!! Glad to hear youve chosen the ultimate accuracy path !!!! I wish you the absolute best in this !!!! Its easiest to volume drop first with just a field volume measure into the pan and trickle from there . Heres to the elusive 1 hole close to bullet diameter group !!! If you ever have to "thread the needle" youll be glad you did choose this path !!! All the best to you !!!

I just got my Old BELDING & MULL Powder Measure out, I bet this thing would work Darn good For Blackpowder, I bought this thing Brand new in the Box from an Old Guy here at a Garage sale that had Never used it, along with a Brand new Redding Hydraulic Beam Scale, I think the Redding came from the Same Ole Guy, Garage Sale? We use to do a LOT of Garage Sales here, and Pawn Shops. I found some AMAZING Deals here! I finally quit going, my basement, and Garage are Packed to the Rafters with MULTIPLES of Everything :) There’s No way i can live long enough to use it all! I need to be the one having a Garage Sale :D

Brass Hopper, and Charge Tube :lewis:
7RfgkHHl.jpg

This one has the Magnum Micrometer, Charge Tube
WfHhwNql.jpg

Hey GM54 you ever heard of these Old BELDING & MULL Powder Measures? They are a unique Old Design. When you pull the Handle ONLY Glass area (Aluminum Block Slides to the Right) To Dump the Charge in the Micrometer Charge Tube that you are holding underneath, This keeps uneven Weight off the Powder from the Main Chamber, In other Words there is NO NEED for a Powder Baffle like Most other Measures.

I am Polishing mine up and getting ready to put it in Service :lewis: Gonna build a Stand for it on my Loading Bench

Here is a good Write up on them
https://revivaler.com/the-belding-and-mull-visible-powder-measure/

I measure on an RCBS 10-10 scale. I do have a Harrels but haven’t even thought of throwing charges on it.

Back