Which sight for 200yd hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushfire

Reaction score
G'day,

Curious to hear from other hunters that also hunt open sights what you would recommend for hunting out to 200m with a muzzleloader?

My current inline is a fibre optic U notch, but the front post is quite thick at anything much past 100yd.
I'd like to try a ghost ring but I hear they're better for close range stuff anyhow.

Appreciate any advice.

Lyman globe front sight with the Lee Shaver inserts. For rear sights i like the Williams FP (FoolProof) or the Lyman sml. Both have dif size apertures available, probably interchangeable with each other.

I haven’t tried this sight so I can’t recommend it but it looks like a great sight and would do the job at 200 m. Muzzleloaders .com carries them.

Attachments

• 7534C12F-DD3F-4095-8AAA-C93F033C4CAB.png
    7534C12F-DD3F-4095-8AAA-C93F033C4CAB.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 18
This what I use. but, to make a 200 yard shot there has to be many things on your side + plus you would need to do a good deal of practice shooting to get proficient. Not to mention the powder charge & bullet you might use will have a lot to do with a 200 yd. shot.

Williams FP Peep

Western-11-Shoot.jpg

I do change the red fiber optic in the Williams front sight to a Green rod to provide a high degree of contrast on the target.

Williams_Front_Sight.jpg

I do wonder what a ghost ring and small fibre optic front sight would be like. The crosshair front sight to my mind would be a struggle in low light conditions.

I feel a ghost ring would be fine as long as you don't have sight issues. I have a Williams ghost ring sight and only struggle with how big the front sight reference is, not the rear ghost.
The key would be a thin target type front sight. The only problem with most fiber optic front sights is they are way too big of a reference, in the neighborhood of .060" in diameter. I would love to have a F.O. front sight with a .010" rod like my bow sight has. I need to get around to buying a few parts and seeing if a machinist could put something together for me.

If you are using a front fiber optic like I am - It can be huge at the longer ranges. But, it rally does not bother me because I do not sight using the sight to cover what I am aiming at. Many dark moons ago while shooting in the military some old wise guy said "sit the spot you want to hit on top of your front sight" so from that point on I have been using what today we call a 6:00 hold.

With the Williams front sight I use combined with the Fire Sight Hood I use the use the hold illustrated in picture H. Kinda makes me think I am looking through a 1X scope with a center post.

Open_sight_pictures1.jpg

If you are using a front fiber optic like I am - It can be huge at the longer ranges. But, it rally does not bother me because I do not sight using the sight to cover what I am aiming at. Many dark moons ago while shooting in the military some old wise guy said "sit the spot you want to hit on top of your front sight" so from that point on I have been using what today we call a 6:00 hold.

With the Williams front sight I use combined with the Fire Sight Hood I use the use the hold illustrated in picture H. Kinda makes me think I am looking through a 1X scope with a center post.

Open_sight_pictures1.jpg

I have wondered before about trying it, but I'm concerned my lifetime of covering the target would take over when I'm under the pump. It is probably worth trying though.

Sabot loader is right on as far as a good sight and what needs to be done to use it.
For me frankly I would never shoot at a medium to large game animal with a modern day muzzle loader using open sights @ 200m.
Open sights are not meant for long range hunting.
Granted they are used for competitive target shooting buts that not the same as killing animals.
Whole different ball game.
There is some merit in a 6:00 hold
A low to medium power scope would be the ticket for hunting out to 250yds maybe if you have the correct bullet load and know how to shoot it. Wind, Rain, Snow, low light, and no running animals.

My longest shot on a game animal, cow elk, with my sight combination was 196 yards. But!!! the conditions were nearly perfect for me. But I had done a lot of shooting at red paper plates ay 200 for drill.

A few others between 150 and 175.

I guess bullet performance with a MZ is another aspect. I'm fortunate to be young with good eyes still. I know with my 9.3x62 that 200yd is doable on reds and sambar (elk cow size and bit bigger respectively). My 275 Rigby is probably 150yd because the front post is quite thick.

The two largest species we have (sambar and red) are the ones that require the longest shots. Red's because where I hunt them there is literally maybe 100 kangaroos for every 1 deer. So closing the gap at times is nigh on impossible. Sambar live in some big country where at times 200yd is the best you can get.

On that note, google Victorian high country, it's a spectacular place and hunting sambar in there is one of the worlds most underrated hunts in my view.

G'day,

Curious to hear from other hunters that also hunt open sights what you would recommend for hunting out to 200m with a muzzleloader?

My current inline is a fibre optic U notch, but the front post is quite thick at anything much past 100yd.
I'd like to try a ghost ring but I hear they're better for close range stuff anyhow.

Appreciate any advice.
Use a fine front bead and a rear peep sight merit makes a adjustable aperture peep they are the ticket for long range imo

Get the finest front bead you can find usually brass beads get rid of that big fiber it covers whole animal you can't take a ethical shot with it !

Sabot loader is right on as far as a good sight and what needs to be done to use it.
For me frankly I would never shoot at a medium to large game animal with a modern day muzzle loader using open sights @ 200m.
Open sights are not meant for long range hunting.
Granted they are used for competitive target shooting buts that not the same as killing animals.
Whole different ball game.
There is some merit in a 6:00 hold
A low to medium power scope would be the ticket for hunting out to 250yds maybe if you have the correct bullet load and know how to shoot it. Wind, Rain, Snow, low light, and no running animals.
Shot by Bill Bagwell, 45/70 BP Sharps PP bullet. Bill used to hunt Africa regularly and has a youtube video shooting a zebra at 167 yds
0808131919a_zpsfdedeb58.jpg

I have wondered before about trying it, but I'm concerned my lifetime of covering the target would take over when I'm under the pump. It is probably worth trying though.
This is exactly my experience.
When I was a kid I put tens of thousands of bb's through my Crossman and always used a "cover where you want to hit with the top of the sight" hold.
It is very engrained into my sighting process with open sights.
A few years ago, late Spring or so, I decided to change to a six 'oclock hold on my Renegade with a 75 yard zero. That fall I ended up getting a shot at a buck at 54 yards. I had to wait for quite a while before he presented a good angle with no limbs obstructing his vitals. He finally gave me a broad side shot, but there was a branch across the lower third of his vitals, so I aimed halfway up behind his front shoulder. Instinct took over, so I covered up the spot I wanted to hit with the top of the front sight rather than using a six 'oclock hold. I hit him really high, barely got the top of the lungs. I did find him as he didn't go more than 90 yards, but I will have to do a ton of practicing with a six 'oclock hold before it becomes my new instinct.
Even with a six 'oclock hold the front F.O. on my Williams sight looks huge at 100 yards.

A Shilo Sharps is a bit different than a muzzle loading gun. The Sharps evolved from a military gun into a long rang buffalo gun with an intended purpose.
Muzzle loaders were not intended for killing at long range primarily because of the ballistic nature of the guns.
Good eyes and lots of practice can do some amazing things with open sights.
When I was 23 years old I could shoot expert out to 500 yds with a service rifle, but would never even think about shooting at an animal at that distance unless it had 2 legs.

Latest posts

Back