Which to get?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have gotten back into muzzleloading and have got a few rifles. Then next two things on my list are an antique double barrel (made for smokeless but will only use BP), and a revolver. I have also been molding my roundballs. I have always practiced survival and self suffiency and have followed the guideline that "less is more". This leads to my question...

My 45 rifle will shoot a .44 PRB. A 44 revolver shoots a .45 RB. Is there a caliber/bullet that I can use so that I can mold 1 bullet for both? I've looked at RB and conicals the would shoot from a 1:60 twist rifle. But none of the calibers seem to ha e a sweet spot from what I have found.

It would just be nice when I went on a woods walk with my 45 rifle to only have 1 pouch for reloading it and the revolver.

TIA!

I have gotten back into muzzleloading and have got a few rifles. Then next two things on my list are an antique double barrel (made for smokeless but will only use BP), and a revolver. I have also been molding my roundballs. I have always practiced survival and self suffiency and have followed the guideline that "less is more". This leads to my question...

My 45 rifle will shoot a .44 PRB. A 44 revolver shoots a .45 RB. Is there a caliber/bullet that I can use so that I can mold 1 bullet for both? I've looked at RB and conicals the would shoot from a 1:60 twist rifle. But none of the calibers seem to ha e a sweet spot from what I have found.

It would just be nice when I went on a woods walk with my 45 rifle to only have 1 pouch for reloading it and the revolver.

Is there an in between that would shave the ring on the .44 and may e use a thinner patch in the .35?

Weeelll....

Nothing says you have to shoot undersized ball with a patch in the rifle. You might experiment with a lubed felt wad between powder and a .451" nekkid ball (heh), or maybe powder then dry felt or even some grits then lubed felt then ball to keep the lube from getting with the powder. Or maybe even a .451 and a very thin patch could work.

The one thing you do want to watch for is needing excessive force to load and fully seat (esp after a couple of shots) but you also don't want it too loose (when seated you should be able to hold rifle upside down and bump muzzle first on your shoe or something and the ball not move/fall out) so be careful as/if you move to .454 or .457 balls.

Another option could be to use a smoothbore .45 rifle and go powder, grits/dry wad, lubed wad, bore diameter ball (.451 lets say) and top it with an over-ball wad as if you were building a shotgun load.

Or you could get 2-3 extra cylinders for the revolver, load at home and only carry rifle reload supplies.

Excellent choice

Ive read here or maybe somewhere else that the plastic ring caps for a toy popgun will fit in place of a #10 Havent tried yet but it may be worth a shot for you (heh)

Excellent choice

Ive read here or maybe somewhere else that the plastic ring caps for a toy popgun will fit in place of a #10 Havent tried yet but it may be worth a shot for you (heh)
I actually found the same Tap-O-Cap die that I use to make #11 that is sized for a #10 at Dixie. Ordered it last night. Should be here in a few days.

The #10 cap die does okay. Little difference between the 10s and 11s. But I made a sizi g tool from a piece if 1/4" aluminum and a Allen wrench. This sizes them perfect for the #10 nipples.

I have also received a cartridge kit. I've made a few but haven't shot any yet.

Out of curiosity, how to yall carry spare cartridges in the field? I found an Altoids Mini tin will hold 5 and dome primers. But I prefer to carry 6.

The #10 cap die does okay. Little difference between the 10s and 11s. But I made a sizi g tool from a piece if 1/4" aluminum and a Allen wrench. This sizes them perfect for the #10 nipples.

I have also received a cartridge kit. I've made a few but haven't shot any yet.

Out of curiosity, how to yall carry spare cartridges in the field? I found an Altoids Mini tin will hold 5 and dome primers. But I prefer to carry 6.

The correct answer is "carry a spare cylinder or 3..."

Latest posts

Back