Whisky thread

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cant stand bourbon or rum straight. When i do drink a whiskey its a single malt scotch like Glenlivet or GlenFiddich. Quickly chilled over ice them straight up in another glass. Very rarely i may partake in one of the better vodkas in shots. Me and Jose tangled too many times in the past. He always won and i woke up feeling like hell.
Jose' hates me too!

Gallon of ginger wine after racking it off into the secondary. Turned out pretty potent too. :D
rJkJwB0.jpg

I'm interested in this receipe myself. Nothing like a good potent wine for the soul!!

Big John

100grams of grated fresh ginger
Half gallon of white grape juice (NO PRESERVATIVES)
4-5 Cups of organic raw sugar
1/2 Cup Dextrose
Juice from 1 lemon
I used a cider yeast that contains nutrients. Brewers Best brand

Add a quart of the grape juice to a gallon carboy
Add the dextrose and shake it up good to dissolve.
Pitch the yeast and add your airlock.

While that get going add the ginger and a half gallon of water to a pan.
Bring it to a simmer for around 30min
Kill the heat and add the sugar. Stir until well dissolved.
Allow it to completely cool covered.
Strain out the ginger through a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth. Ive got one that came with my coffee machine i never use for coffee.

Once its room temp add it and the lemon juice to the carboy and install your airlock
Top off if needed with remaining grape juice. LEAVE ENOUGH HEAD SPACE
Allow to ferment for 2 weeks or until the activity drops down to almost nothing.

Rack of into a secondary carboy. Avoid stirring up any of the sediment.
Sample a small amount.
Top off the secondary. Put the air lock back on and place it in a cooler spot to finish.

The cooler the spot the faster it will clear up. You can even use the fridge but further fermentation will drop to nothing around 55F or cooler. All depends on the yeast you use.

After it clears more you can rack off into bottles.
Add some ginger syrup and/or back sweeten if you want. (Ginger People brand syrup has a good bite to it)
At this point you can bottle carbonate MAYBE. Or kill the yeast using whichever method suits you. ( Pasteurize or chemically)
The syrup has more than enough sugar in it to "prime" a bottle if you dont kill the yeast. You only need about 1/2 tsp of dextrose/sugar if you want to try it.

Give it no less than a month before you crack open a bottle to taste. Several months if you can.

Last edited:
WoW, your not a rookie at this. Think ill gather up the ingredients and when we get a winter storm Ill try a batch.

Here is a simple recipe that is a sweet after dinner or sipping drink. Dont get hung up on exact measurements. Plus or minus a little and no one will ever know. Lets say the recipe is forgiving.

1 qt ocean spray or equal juice. Blackberry, raspberry, cherry, pomegranate, grape work great. Ive tried some of the lighter colors in juice but the flavor just doesn't come through.
.375 cups of regular sugar.
3.5 ounces of 160 proof alcohol

If you want to make larger quantities send me a PM. I have the math done already. I made 2 (25 qt) batches one day.

Pour the juice into a pot and warm slowly until steam rises on the top. Not a boil just nice and warm to melt the sugar. I stir it occasionally to keep it from burning. Not really sure if it will burn but that's what I do.
Turn of the heat and add the sugar. When you toss in the sugar the juice will be cloudy. That's undissolved sugar.
Then all of a sudden it will clear up. The sugar is now dissolved. Depending on the water temperature it should only take 5-10 seconds.

Have your container(s) ready.

Pour the alcohol into into the juice and pour the whole thing into your container of choice. Your done. Drink up.

I have aged some batches for months and there is no difference in flavor like there is with apple pie. So its ready to drink.

Looking good! I cracked open a bottle of Spice Apple Wine yesterday for our family Christmas gathering, it was from St. Julian Winery in Paw Paw, MI where I used to live, apple wine is some good stuff :lewis:

Latest posts

Back