Whisky thread

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well over a year of my Life tucked away in Jail, actually Various Jails, Helped me Give up on ANY Form of Drinking Alcohol. It’s a wonder I didn’t Kill anyone, in various ways

I have been sober for well over 10 years now, it’s best for me, and EVERYONE around me that i stay that way :lewis:
I hear ya Lewis been 33 yrs for me dont look back.

When we find one we like we stay with it. Been burned with"bad" taste to our liking enough time to know when ot shy away.

Bushfire,

You absolutely can’t go wrong with Basil Hayden’s. It works fabulously in Old Fashioned’s Manhattan’s, etc. It does well sipping too.
Like you, I’m into flavor- not buzz. My shut-off switch works great, thus I’m picky about the whisky I choose and this one is great- with a bonus of being pretty darn inexpensive.

Not sure if there are any other whisky drinkers here but if so I'd love to know what you enjoy savouring.

I've been working through a bottle of 20yo Canadian Club for something different lately, hasn't been too bad.

Like any good Aussie I love rum, this El Dorado 15yo is an absolute pearler, my favourite yet.
View attachment 11328

Just cracked open a bottle of Bladnoch 11yo single malt scotch, very approachable dram. Lovely example of lowland scotch whisky.

View attachment 11329
I've collected no less than a half dozen bourbon's and whiskeys because I have loved the flavor for many years. One I found recently that I consider exceptional is Uncle Nearest 1856...100 proof yet smooth as a baby's behind... highly recommended!

Cant stand bourbon or rum straight. When i do drink a whiskey its a single malt scotch like Glenlivet or GlenFiddich. Quickly chilled over ice them straight up in another glass. Very rarely i may partake in one of the better vodkas in shots. Me and Jose tangled too many times in the past. He always won and i woke up feeling like hell.

Cant stand bourbon or rum straight. When i do drink a whiskey its a single malt scotch like Glenlivet or GlenFiddich. Quickly chilled over ice them straight up in another glass. Very rarely i may partake in one of the better vodkas in shots. Me and Jose tangled too many times in the past. He always won and i woke up feeling like hell.
What doesnt kill you makes you stronger. José and I are good friends, and mortal enemies.

Bourbon.....very smooth. I do mine straight up, no ice or water and certainly not any pop with it.
Yeah, thats it. If im going to drink bourbon (and I do on occasion) I do not want ice, pop, or water with it. Its a habit I got into at college. Also just room temperature. Not refrigerated or chilled.

This is about 3 years worth of whisky for me.

Mind you, I made a tradition of buying a nice whisky for each of my boys (old pulteney and the arran) when they were born which I'll pass on to them to keep as a collectors item or drink when they're either 18 or 21. 18 is legal drinking age but 21 to me is when you hit the beginning of adulthood.

Currently working through the lagavulin, el dorado, bladnoch, Canadian club and Red Breast. Of them lagavulin is my least favourite, I do like the peat monsters but prefer Laphroaig or Ardbeg over it. The El Dorado is the best rum I've had so I'm stretching out the bottle, same for the Red Breast as an Irish whisky.

20201129_202151.jpg

Woodsman Distillery a few miles northwest of me has a whiskey aged in Pecan wood barrels. It's a little taste of heaven.

This is about 3 years worth of whisky for me.

Mind you, I made a tradition of buying a nice whisky for each of my boys (old pulteney and the arran) when they were born which I'll pass on to them to keep as a collectors item or drink when they're either 18 or 21. 18 is legal drinking age but 21 to me is when you hit the beginning of adulthood.

Currently working through the lagavulin, el dorado, bladnoch, Canadian club and Red Breast. Of them lagavulin is my least favourite, I do like the peat monsters but prefer Laphroaig or Ardbeg over it. The El Dorado is the best rum I've had so I'm stretching out the bottle, same for the Red Breast as an Irish whisky.

View attachment 11381
I will try to find some of that el Dorado rum and Red Breast Irish. El Dorado doesnt sound familiar, may not have any around here Ive had the Lagavulin and I agree, not a fan of it. I bought for a nephew who loves it.

My favorite is probably E H Taylor small batch, anything from Michters is a solid juice as well. Woodford also has some great choices, after that I have so many I like it would be a long post if I keep going lol
Started with Eagle Rare last night waiting for Tyson and Roy Jones jr to step in the ring, neighbor was pouring but I do remember finishing with Weller special reserve.

My real weakness is hard cider and cyser (honey apple cider). Just bottled these today with a little priming sugar. Hoping it will carbonate just a little bit. Only about 10% ABV and its tastes great. Just slightly sweet.
7Y9XUFU.jpg

VLaEPP9.jpg

Got a gallon of ginger white grape going too. Mainly for cooking but i bet its killer. It will be more of a ginger wine and about 14% ABV.

1606990347272.pngA fellow brought a couple of these to a deer camp in Ontario. Luckily I live near the border, because it's the best sippin' whiskey I've been able to afford.

Back