White Bison colorado edition

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, first real post. I currently have a black diamond xr, contemplating getting a second muzzleloader and I have looked at the white bison Colorado edition with the Lyman peep on it. MY BD likes 100grain pyrodex with 290 grain Barnes TEZ bullet, I have plenty of stock so it would be nice if this was a good combination for the white as well. The barnes have performed well for me on elk so I am partial to them. If I dont go White I am leaning toward Knight as my likely choice, if a knight I might throw caution to the wind and go with the .45 mountaineer. Anyway, seems like a lot of knowledge here on White rifles so I though I would share my musings and see where the feedback leads me.

Thanks in advance

Pike

Maybe I did not ask this question very well. Trying to get some feedback on the white Bison colorado version. I sent them an email and I have not heard anything, maybe they are not selling guns anymore?

Might take a look at the Knight LRH in classifieds, they are very nice guns and very accurate. The Whites for sale are nice also.
White is no longer in business, Doc builds a few to sell from leftover parts he has.

Thanks, I saw the LRH in the classifieds, I don't have enough credentials yet to use the classified but I am looking into the LRH as I am not real familiar with it.

Maybe I did not ask this question very well. Trying to get some feedback on the white Bison colorado version. I sent them an email and I have not heard anything, maybe they are not selling guns anymore?
If you sent white a e-mail you are correct they are no longer in business but doc still sells guns and you can find them here as well. As to your question your load may work and may not you'll have to try it but seems in the ball park. Whites generally like big heavy slugs but you just have to try differing combinations to see what the gun likes. But you can't go wrong with the white bison I have one and it's a great gun !

Ditto the big, heavy slug. My .504 Bison does best with Steve Brooks 500 grain pure lead (from Dan at BullShop) over a felt wad and 95 grains Pyro P. YMMV

If you sent white a e-mail you are correct they are no longer in business but doc still sells guns and you can find them here as well. As to your question your load may work and may not you'll have to try it but seems in the ball park. Whites generally like big heavy slugs but you just have to try differing combinations to see what the gun likes. But you can't go wrong with the white bison I have one and it's a great gun !
Thanks, good information and I appreciate the response. Maybe I need to try and call Doc?

Is the bison you're referring to for sale or are you just wanting one ?
Theoretical gun on the White website, mostly just want another one. I have been looking at a second ML for a year or so, Knight and White seem to be the two that are most interesting to me at this point. I looked at the White website and saw the colorado version, has a good quality peep and seemed like a robust gun to hunt with. My purpose is totally to hunt elk and once in a while deer. I am also not ruling out the .45 and that brings me back to Knight mostly. Hope that answers your question.

Theoretical gun on the White website, mostly just want another one. I have been looking at a second ML for a year or so, Knight and White seem to be the two that are most interesting to me at this point. I looked at the White website and saw the colorado version, has a good quality peep and seemed like a robust gun to hunt with. My purpose is totally to hunt elk and once in a while deer. I am also not ruling out the .45 and that brings me back to Knight mostly. Hope that answers your question.
Was curious is all mine is a .540 have not seen the "colorado" version but I guess I'll look for curiosity sake.

Curious what your thoughts are if you do take a look.
Doc seems to be price gouging imo and from what I've personally bought and heard from other buyers of his stuff is poor quality not to say everything is that way I would have to see it first that's my honest opinion !

I'm a white guy true and true . But if I was dropping that kind of coin I'd choose the knight or newer muzzleloader of similarity. You can get a sweet rig for what that's costing ya.

I'll say it , that bison is not worth what he's asking . Its a 500 doller gun max if you ask me . Even has the myrtle stock which is prone to breaking . Its being called a Colorado Edition just because of the Lyman 57 on it . I have the same site on my thunderbolt, is that now a Colorado Edition. Sales pitch with a fancy name if you ask me ,we all know names with attractive pitch points sell. Also your Barnes that you have plenty of would probably need a larger sabot ,the supplied sabot may be to loose

Good luck in your search

I'm a white guy true and true . But if I was dropping that kind of coin I'd choose the knight or newer muzzleloader of similarity. You can get a sweet rig for what that's costing ya.

I'll say it , that bison is not worth what he's asking . Its a 500 doller gun max if you ask me . Even has the myrtle stock which is prone to breaking . Its being called a Colorado Edition just because of the Lyman 57 on it . I have the same site on my thunderbolt, is that now a Colorado Edition. Sales pitch with a fancy name if you ask me ,we all know names with attractive pitch points sell. Also your Barnes that you have plenty of would probably need a larger sabot ,the supplied sabot may be to loose

Good luck in your search
I'd have to agree with you the knight is a better choice unless he finds a brand new in the box bison.

Good luck in your search
Thanks Sbuff, exactly the feedback I am looking for.

Back