White breech plug with replacement nipple

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestill

MM Sponsor
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
70228.jpeg 70229.jpeg 70230.jpeg 70227.jpeg Few months ago I had a white owner Ed Mehlig contact me about modifying his #11 breech plug to accept a replaceable nipple which we did then asked about doing it for musket nipple which we did but required a different modifications.

So we discussed the option of making a replacement plug that could use either treso #11 nipple or treso musket nipple.

So after testing a couple prototypes we had the desired specs.
While trying to keep plug cost down but offer the highest quality part.
The plug is made of pre hardened 17-4 stainless steel which is awesome material for this application. I did my best to keep price as low as possible but material and cnc programming and low quantity production this is best i could do.

I have no intention of doing a 209 primer option or doing a vent liner plug.
I believe this plug with replacement nipples should last a lifetime.

Plugs are available for $50 shipped to your door also nipple available
$5 for Treso 1/4-28 #11 nipple
$5 for Treso 1/4-28 musket nipple

[email protected]

Thanks and god bless!

Attachments

• 70229.jpeg
    70229.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 9
This is AWESOME NEWS Jeff!!! I know where to get a HIGH QUALITY Breech plug if i ever come across another Old White Super 91 .451 :lewis:

View attachment 6446 View attachment 6447 View attachment 6448 View attachment 6449 Few months ago I had a white owner Ed Mehlig contact me about modifying his #11 breech plug to accept a replaceable nipple which we did then asked about doing it for musket nipple which we did but required a different modifications.

So we discussed the option of making a replacement plug that could use either treso #11 nipple or treso musket nipple.

The plug is made of pre hardened 17-4 stainless steel which is awesome material for this application. I did my best to keep price as low as possible but material and cnc programming and low quantity production this is best i could do.

[email protected]

Thanks and god bless!
Evening: What model White muzzleloader are these for? I am just this year learning about White muzzleloaders so not sure what model your breech plug would fit.

Steve

View attachment 6446 View attachment 6447 View attachment 6448 View attachment 6449 Few months ago I had a white owner Ed Mehlig contact me about modifying his #11 breech plug to accept a replaceable nipple which we did then asked about doing it for musket nipple which we did but required a different modifications.

[email protected]

Thanks and god bless!
Bestill would you consider making a plug to my blueprint spec ? I realize what this entails and i know it will cost . This involves a design that presently does not exsist ANYWHERE . If you would consider this i would be willing to drive down and discuss things at some future agreed time . I could have this made locally in the metro Detroit area but i consider your opinion and talents valuable . Im willing to share .
Thanks and bless you as well !!!
Sideshow
Ps .--Congrats and thank you for this much needed contribution to the White muzzleloader and the entire DWB family !!!

Last edited:
I know I tested the breech plugs in a White Whitetail, M97, & M98. Being the Super 91 and Thunderbolt are basically the same as the M98 there won't be a problem with them either. So it will fit all White Rifles except as mentioned White Shotguns.

I know I tested the breech plugs in a White Whitetail, M97, & M98. Being the Super 91 and Thunderbolt are basically the same as the M98 there won't be a problem with them either. So it will fit all White Rifles except as mentioned White Shotguns.
Thank you for pursueing this Ed !!!!! This is a Big improvement and desperately needed . You are owed a tremendous debt of gratitude !!!!! A true DWB to the core......

Don't thank me thank Jeff. If it wasn't for his talent, I don't know who could have done this that I would trust! I was just glad I had several #11 BreechPlugs laying around being my grandsons use Musket caps that I was able to donate to the cause to perfect this design.

There is a couple of reasons why I approached Jeff on modifying the breech plug to accept either #11 or Musket Caps. One because I knew the flash holes were getting larger and to replace the breech plugs at $50 each would get expensive especially if you own more than one White.
But primarily it was to eliminate some frustration that I experienced with several #11 breech plugs where the cap would not seat all the way and I wound up having to fire twice in order for the cap to go off. Naturally, this is something you don't want to happen while hunting and that buck of a lifetime gets away.
(As Idaholewis mentioned with a sidelock you could slowly drop the hammer and push against the cap to fully seat it, but with an Inline it can't be done.) Sometimes at the range, I may have to fire three times in order for the cap to go off before I realize I need to wipe the nipple off.

But the real reason is for safety especially when you have young grandchildren who are hunting and they have to remove the #11 cap and they have to climb up and down a tree stand. From my experience several of the White rifles that my grandchildren were using I had to use a knife or some tool to scrape the cap off the nipple. This in my eyes is an accident that is waiting to happen that I want to avoid especially when there are kids involved. I never had an issue in removing a #11 cap off a Tresco Nipple not so with almost all of my White #11 plugs. This is why I have them use Musket Caps.

So these are the reasons why I approached Jeff, and you completely understand my reasoning.

Ed

There is a couple of reasons why I approached Jeff on modifying the breech plug to accept either #11 or Musket Caps. One because I knew the flash holes were getting larger and to replace the breech plugs at $50 each would get expensive especially if you own more than one White.
But primarily it was to eliminate some frustration that I experienced with several #11 breech plugs where the cap would not seat all the way and I wound up having to fire twice in order for the cap to go off. Naturally, this is something you don't want to happen while hunting and that buck of a lifetime gets away.
(As Idaholewis mentioned with a sidelock you could slowly drop the hammer and push against the cap to fully seat it, but with an Inline it can't be done.) Sometimes at the range, I may have to fire three times in order for the cap to go off, before I realize I need to wipe the nipple off.

But the real reason is for safety especially when you have young grandchildren who are hunting and they have to remove the #11 cap and they have to climb up and down a tree stand. From my experience several of the White rifles that my grandchildren were using I had to use a knife or some tool to scrape the cap off the nipple. This in my eyes is an accident that is waiting to happen that I want to avoid especially when there are kids involved. I never had an issue in removing a #11 cap off a Tresco Nipple not so with almost all of my White #11 plugs.

So these are the reasons why I approached Jeff, hopefully it is to everyone's benefit who own and shoot White ML's.

Ed
And you wonder "Why" you are so highly respected .

(As Idaholewis mentioned with a sidelock you could slowly drop the hammer and push against the cap to fully seat it, but with an Inline it can't be done.) Sometimes at the range, I may have to fire three times in order for the cap to go off before I realize I need to wipe the nipple off.

But the real reason is for safety especially when you have young grandchildren who are hunting and they have to remove the #11 cap and they have to climb up and down a tree stand. From my experience several of the White rifles that my grandchildren were using I had to use a knife or some tool to scrape the cap off the nipple. This in my eyes is an accident that is waiting to happen that I want to avoid especially when there are kids involved. I never had an issue in removing a #11 cap off a Tresco Nipple not so with almost all of my White #11 plugs. This is why I have them use Musket Caps.

So these are the reasons why I approached Jeff, and you completely understand my reasoning.

Ed
My nipple on my super 91 410 cost me a dandy 6pt 3 yrs ago cause the #11 cap wasnt seated all the way on there . Twice i recocked it and no boom . After the buck was gone i tried it 1 more time and the @#$% fired !!! At the time i didnt know WHAT was wrong . It was a Brand New White Plug !!!!!!! TRYING to sand that nipple down skinnier Just Dont Work either . There is no worse feeling sitting in the woods not knowing if its gonna make smoke or not . Up untill i came up with another generic donor plug ( a rough used one to hot rod ) , it was the ONLY plug i had too !!! Yea i had a brainstorm about a new type of plug the other day but im Really Gonna Feel Good about haveing one of these !!!!!!

Last edited:
Care to explain ??
The Remington#11caps are a tad bigger than RWS caps. They go all the way on a white nipple/BP an fire on first strike.
My oldest son decided to ML hunt this year for first time. I had every thing set up, I thought. We hunted together the first day and had a problem getting the S91 .504 to fire when a doe was broadside. We tried the shot again an it fired. He killed two deer that evening after forcing the cap on the nipple.
I had left RWS caps in that cap loader an replaced them that evening with Remington caps. No more problems an two more dead deer for me, plus one for him by end of early ML season. He is hooked now on White!!

Last edited:
.28. Was able to fire off Pryodex P, Swiss 3F & 2F as well as 777-3F with no issues.

I used Tresco's for a long time but I would always drill the flash hole to .031. I do not shoot real BP and it needed to work with T7-2f. I found that the .028 could be a problem with T7-2f and really cold weather.

Latest posts

Back