White Hots Bad Ignition?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug2020

Reaction score
So I took my new CVA wolf out to the range the other night for the first time.

Shot a total of 10 shots with cleaning inbetween each shot (2x wet patch, 5x dry patch)

Wanted to get it dialed in with 2x white hots (100gr total) and a Barnes Spitfire 290gr

On shot #9 I got a very weird crack sound, minimal recoil, and my shot was 3” low 3” to the right.

Something felt wrong.
When the shot first went off I thought did I just crack my barrel open or something since the crack sound was so different than the normal shot sounds.

I do remember fighting to get the bullet down the barrel (even after cleaning) but I recall having my ram rod all the way down and feeling the bullet seat well.

This was the first time I poured the 2 pellets from the container right into the barrel rather than placing them one at a time by hand.

Just wondering what may have caused this event. Would it have been a faulty pellet? Did I do something wrong?

The next shot I took landed right where I thought it would go at 100yards and was way easier to load.

Muzzleloaders are funny sometimes. Your loading sequence has to be the same all the time. If you deviate from it, wierd things can an do happen.

It could be that the White Hots you purchased were old stock. I haven't heard of many who use those pellets and I know in local stores around me that stock them they never seem to go down in stock on the pegs. I have a friend that had a similar event with White Hots. I guessing they're older than heck.

Today I shot another 7 rounds and did not have any issues but I’m still concerned about the previous event.

I’m grouping 3” at 100 yards.
My shooting is likely a factor in this, mind you I can get sub MOA very easily with my .308

I know loose powder is better for accuracy however for deer hunting 100yards or less I think the pellets will do me fine.

Are other pellets better?

If I were to get stuck on pellets I'd do the T7 pellets, non-magnum. T7 pellets will shoot the closest to BH209 powder, energy-wise and that 290 grain bullet probably needs more zip to get decent groups. The White Hots and Pyrodex pellets are very under-powered in my opinion.

I’m reading mixed reviews of the whitehots.

Some love them others not so much.
I have 14 loads left of them so I’ll use them at the range for sure but now I’m debating on getting 777 pellets.

What Primer were you using when that happened?
I have never shot White Hots but when I first got an inline I shot Pyrodex Pellets.
I have had bad pellets in the past that did exactly as you describe and I felt that only one pellet really lit off at the time.
On another occasion my accuracy just went to crap, no ignition issues noticed, just very poor accuracy. Switched to a new box of pellets and back to normal. I no longer use the pellets.
You can have good accuracy with them with some bullets. Some bullets may also not work as well when using them as the speed may be a bit slower using pellets for the same given volume of powder, ie. 2 pellets = 100gn vs 100gn by volume of loose. Loose powder will usually give more velocity.
One thing to keep in mind with pellets are that they will draw moisture and the Boxes that they come in are not sealed. I have my doubts that the small plastic tubes some of the blister packs have in them will prevent moisture draw too. If you shoot pellets best to start with Fresh (Also something that don't seem to sit on shelves a long time) and when done shooting them vacuum pack them if carrying over to the next season or if it will be a few months before you shoot again. The Bottles that Loose powder come in are sealed. I have never really understood why they don't pack the pellets in a sealed container.

I was shooting Remington Clean Bore 209s

I have switched to 777 and have been pleased with results, accuracy went up, loading after shooting became easier, however substantially less recoil so I assume my FPS dropped

Did you switch to 777 pellets or Loose Powder?
The Rem Kleen Bore is a cooler primer that is good for loose powder to help lessen the crud ring. It may work ok with Pellets but you might have seen better ignition with the white hots using a standard shotgun primer like the Win 209.

i tried White Hot pellets in my inline rifles when they first came out. Ignition was too iffy, especially with musket caps and #11 caps. Against my advice, a couple friends insisted on using White Hot pellets. One guy had a misfire with old Mossy Horns standing broadside at 30 yards.

IMO: If one insists on using pellets, use Pyrodex pellets. Pyrodex pellets have a black powder igniter on one end. i used two Pyrodex pellets interchangeably with 100 grains of loose Pyrodex powder in inline rifles for years. Never had an ignition problem.

Another issue with pellets in general is that you do not want to bear down overly hard when seating the bullets and crack the pellets. Doing so will most certainly affect the amount of pressure when fired and can most likely affect accuracy.

Good move to the other powder Doug.

Definitely dump the pellets. I think they're what has lead to my hate of muzzleloaders. Last year I had what would be my biggest buck in TN and couldn't get my white-hot to ignite. From some research I've done, the company says that you should be using NEW every year. Well locally the stock never seems to dwindle, and you end up buying a few year old pellets.

I will never use them again personally, and I try to steer everyone I can away from them.

Im a CF reloader for 35-40 years.. I prefer loose myself. I have a young fellow who hunts with me and he uses pellets. He hasnt had a problem and gets very good accuracy.

I use white shots in a 50 cal. accurav2 3 pellets and a 240 gr sabot shoots clover patterns at a hundred . It kicks good with that load I also use remington cleanbore 209 primers. Going to shoot at 3ooyrds. with some elr rounds.in a few days from now I will post pics when done. I will be pushing myself I only have a 3 X 9 X 40 scope

Last edited:
I am certainly not against pellets (my daughter and boys that I take hunting have always used them). I will say I prefer T7 pellets over White Hots. When I have used them the accuracy has decreased and they seemed to be dirtier than T7 pellets. Pellets are great for anyone who doesn't want to deal with loose powder.

Latest posts

Back