White Hots vs BH 209 Any info?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefteye

Reaction score
I was hoping someone shot both the White Hots and BH 209 and could give me a comparison on performance, cleaning, etc.

Thanks

lefteye said:
I was hoping someone shot both the White Hots and BH 209 and could give me a comparison on performance, cleaning, etc.

Thanks

White Hots are T7 without the black dye that is added to T7. Hodgdon owns both companies.

BH is made by General Dynamics of Canada - it is a completly different powder.

Ballistics achieved by the same amount of powder either T7 or Bh is about the same. BH with heavier bullets will achieve 100-150 fps with 120 grain loads

There are some real advantages to shooting BH if your gun can shoot it efficiently - but for myself only - the cost of 10oz of BH does not make up for the differences.

White Hots

I love the White Hots. Clean, accurate, and simple. I haven't tried BH209 yet.

Sabotloader, I may be wrong but I thought White Hots were made by IMR not Hodgdon. IMR and Hodgdon could be the same company, I don't know. Just curious.

Re: White Hots

hunter177 said:
I love the White Hots. Clean, accurate, and simple. I haven't tried BH209 yet.

Sabotloader, I may be wrong but I thought White Hots were made by IMR not Hodgdon. IMR and Hodgdon could be the same company, I don't know. Just curious.

You are correct, the hodgdon was not IMR, but they are the same company now - Hodgdon bought them out several years ago.

T7 in its pure form is also white, or near white. Hodgdon added the color to appeal to the nomal 'black' thought applied to gun powder.

White Hots are pellets and BH209 is loose propellant. I shot white Hots and velocities were not as advertised. I had to use 3 pellets to achieve advertised 2 pellet velocities. BH209 is expensive, but potentially more accurate. If given the choice, I'll take loose over pellets any day.BH209 is cleaner than White Hots. I'm glad my buddy gave me a box for free because I would have been PO'ed if I spent that kind of money for them for the poor performance that I witnessed. I'm just not a pellet popper.

Sounds like BH 209 is it. Thanks, guys.
I was a Black Mag advocate till they lost the factory. Really a shame.

Latest posts

Back