White Musket Breech Plugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed,
use musket caps on a majority of my Whites....Whitetails, Blacktail, T-bolt, super 91's in .451 & .504
plug lube is a large can of Never Seize I've had forever. It will out live me! lol
hope you're recovery is going well!
Ed have you been sick ?? Wow , i hope its only a cold and no big deal . Hopeing it wont last long !!!
Sideshow....

I have a .451 model 98 that I ordered with a musket cap breech plug. It was not reliable busting those caps. Replaced the hammer and spring also trying to improve ignition to no avail. Found a no 11 breech plug that was slightly filed on and used it. No more misfires.

I have a .451 model 98 that I ordered with a musket cap breech plug. It was not reliable busting those caps. Replaced the hammer and spring also trying to improve ignition to no avail. Found a no 11 breech plug that was slightly filed on and used it. No more misfires.

i agree with dbowling above, I bet the Musket Cap wasn’t seated Firmly against the Nipple Post, in other words there was Cushion when the Hammer hit. I have had this Happen SEVERAL times with No. 11s, The 2nd time they Will go off, as the Cushion Was taken away from the 1st misfire. When i place a Cap on, i lower the Hammer gently on to the Cap and Give a Good Solid push Forward on the Hammer to Make SURE i get the Cap Seated FIRMLY on the Nipple Post. I have yet to have a Cap Not go off when i do this. Same applied with my Plunger inlines

Heh. When I had a red dot on the Whitetail .451 it sat real low. Fingers, ML season cold weather, etc. - fingers didn't work real well. Soooo - got a standard clothespin - and a pocket knife. Slowly carved away anything I didn't need on the end, and voila a "set of little tiny fingers". So - have a musket cap seated really well on the nipple, and another in my "fingers" in my bag. Now I can put a musket cap on in a hurry, in the cold, without removing my gloves. AND - I can use it to make sure the cap is seated on the nipple really well. I've never pulled the trigger to a click. Not once. Works pretty good.

Pics......

Attachments

• 4310B5B8-37EA-4FBD-9C94-92EF6BB26509.jpeg
    4310B5B8-37EA-4FBD-9C94-92EF6BB26509.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 25
  • C9347352-6833-4136-9E9E-E2DB8F4DDBE5.jpeg
    C9347352-6833-4136-9E9E-E2DB8F4DDBE5.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 25
I have a super 91 and I use a capper for the musket caps. My fingers are too big so the capper was a welcome change. I have always used a little but if the copper colored anti-sieze on the breech plug with no problems either. It's kinda funny, the whites are a superior built muzzleloader. today even with their age, they still shoot better than anything out there and still, no one pays attention to thier workmanship to see what really works. Happy new year everyone!

i agree with dbowling above, I bet the Musket Cap wasn’t seated Firmly against the Nipple Post, in other words there was Cushion when the Hammer hit. I have had this Happen SEVERAL times with No. 11s, The 2nd time they Will go off, as the Cushion Was taken away from the 1st misfire. When i place a Cap on, i lower the Hammer gently on to the Cap and Give a Good Solid push Forward on the Hammer to Make SURE i get the Cap Seated FIRMLY on the Nipple Post. I have yet to have a Cap Not go off when i do this. Same applied with my Plunger inlines

Lewis, that is absolutely correct. My number 11 plugs are a tight fit too. I follow your exact routine, gently lower the hammer, push firmly on the cap. You can actually feel the cap "stretch" to seat. Fires perfectly, and the tight fit makes a moisture proof seal.

To stop seizing try tc's breech plug anti seize. I do not shoot a white even though I own a tominator. on my knight, I use musket caps. To install these, I use a piece of lexan with a hole drilled to hold the cap. This let's it fit on the nipple.

Latest posts

Back