White Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaddo

Reaction score
Hello all
This is my 1st post. Been snooping around for a while now after acquiring a White Whitetail .504 cal muzzleloader that appears to be unfired. I had never heard of a White but apparently you guys have (DWBs)! After reading all the posts about the quality of the Whites I am tempted to keep it . However my safe overflowith! And I could use funds for another project I've just started. I have a couple smoke poles already. Both very inexpensive but I have tweaked loads until they are both shooters. I shoot a lot with center fire rifles and do a lot of load development for them so I'm thinking I would really enjoy getting to know this White! Same time I do not need another muzzleloader! Might boil down to what I could get outta the White.
Advice, recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks
Xaddo

Not sure what other guns you have but there would be a lot of others I would send down the road before parting with that White. Get yourself some 460 grain conicals. I really like no excuse conicals but mine shot the bullshops just as well. Load up anywhere from 60-70 grains of powder and go have some fun! Your going to enjoy that White I promise.

Welcome to the group, from central Indiana.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies and the welcome!
You still might see this White show up in the classifieds. I don't have the wrench/ tool to remove the breech plug to get a really good look at the barrel. An ideas as to where I might get one or what I might use? Wrench doesn't work. Once I verify whether or not it's been fired I will decide what to do.
Thanks
Xaddo

Yep that worked thanks!
After looking at the rifle closely I have found a few "marks" that indicate it has been handled a little so apparently it has been
fired. Barrel still looks perfect. I am definitely going to shoot it some now!
I have always shot Hornady XTPs or similar in my muzzleloaders. Never tried the cast bullets you guys talk about.
Are they that much better?
I have one load recommendation already. Any others? I do like BH 209 and already have a couple lbs
If you suggest cast bullets please let me know where I can get them
Thanks again
Xaddo
PS I live in N. Florida near fl ga line. Heat index today was 110 degrees. Probably be a couple weeks before I shoot!

You will have to shoot triple 7/pyrodex/or any of the blackpowder offerings as the whitetail is a plunger rifle and not recommended for BH209. I recommend triple 7 an in a .504 I shoot 90gr. of 2Fg in a super 91 or you might prefer less powder for less recoil in the shorter barrel whitetail.

Although Whites will shoot saboted bullets (I'm told...never tried them in my whites) they are designed to shoot big conical's very accurately. You will have to try them on an animal, they just put the smack down on them!! No excuses or Bullshop conicals will do the deed! I shoot a 490gr conical in my Super 91 .504, killed a mature doe last January. I mostly hunt with my .451 Super 91 tho...

http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/in ... age319.htm

http://bullshop.weebly.com/-50-caliber- ... llets.html

Thanks for the reply and the advice toytruck. Unfortunately I didn't see it until after trying to shoot BH209 unsuccessfully! Tried various primers and nothing would make it go boom! Going to hit the links you sent, order the correct projectiles, find some 777 locally and do it right this time. We've got hurricane Irma arriving tomorrow and it's usually hot afterwards so probably be a week or so. Thanks again
Xaddo

Xaddo said:
Thanks for the reply and the advice toytruck. Unfortunately I didn't see it until after trying to shoot BH209 unsuccessfully! Tried various primers and nothing would make it go boom! Going to hit the links you sent, order the correct projectiles, find some 777 locally and do it right this time. We've got hurricane Irma arriving tomorrow and it's usually hot afterwards so probably be a week or so. Thanks again
Xaddo

777 is very easy to find. Any sporting goods, gun store and even a lot of WalMarts carry it.

Xaddo said:
Xaddo
I sure hope you made it through that terrible hurricane! I have a grandson in Jacksonville who is OK, but their roof is leaking, still no cell service, but they do have power.

Latest posts

Back