White Tominator vs Knight TK-2000

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdc2

Reaction score
I am looking into getting a black powder shotgun for turkey hunting and believe it will be between the Knight TK-2000 and the White Tominator. I had owned a White G Series Whitetail and loved the gun due to its light weight and accuracy, now I own a Knight Ultralight rifle and am also very happy with the handling, accuracy, and also appreciate the weatherproof red disc 209 priming system. First question would deal with recoil as I always hear how bad the Knight kicks, with comparable loads do you feel the Tominator has any less felt recoil. Next I dont believe I would mind removing the choke to load the Tominator, but which do you feel offers the better 40 yard pattern, the current jug choked TK-2000 or the Tominator. Lastly how hard is it to locate a Laminate stocked Tominator in excellent condition, do they show up often, and what is a fair price ?

Thank you
gdc2

I don't know what a fair price is. The in the know DWB's here will have to speak to that.

DOC White has a new, in the box, black laminate Tominator on his website for $700.

Good luck.

Remember, the BP-12 plastic shot wad only measures 0.665" in diameter. It will fit through any 12 gauge choke tube, except for an extra-full tube; and Doc's custom super-full tubes.

Is that website current (White Shooting Systems) it mentions Spring 2000 sale at the top of the for sale page, and then offer good until May 2000 under the Tominator ad , or does Doc have a current website where they have one for sale ?

The White Shooting Systems website is defunct.

whitemuzzleloading.com

[email protected]

DOC White
77 Skyline Drive 55-8
Roosevelt, Utah 84066
1-435-722-2525

Call in the evening, MST.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to get his attention in an e-mail, BE SURE to include something that is muzzleloading related.

Thanks guys, I sent Doc an email. Do you see these show up in the classifieds on any type of regular basis, or was there only a small quantity produced ?

I own a Tominator and Thunder and I like the Thunder the most. The laminate stocked makes the Tominator a lot heavier then the Thunder. Don't know what these guns are worth, but I payed $300 for Tominator and $200 for the Thunder about 5 years ago. Both were used and in excellent shape. Good luck finding one.

First question would deal with recoil as I always hear how bad the Knight kicks, with comparable loads do you feel the Tominator has any less felt recoil.

Felt Recoil” is affected by the gun’s weigh in lbs. , drop in stock, charge and load weight.
Plus being a pretty seasoned “shotgunner” I see so many shooting a shotgun with a rifle stance. Rather than mounting it. Prior leaves less body mass to absorb recoil.
There are formulas to calculate recoil energy . (Easily found on the net. )
I cannot speak for the Whites and I’m sure they are fine shotguns but my vote goes for my TK2000.
First off I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad on mine.
The TK can shoot some very heavy payloads if necessary. I haven’t found it needed. Using 1.75 oz TSS loads.
I find my TK’s recoil about the same of 12ga 870.

Next I dont believe I would mind removing the choke to load the Tominator, but which do you feel offers the better 40 yard pattern, the current jug choked TK-2000 or the Tominator.

Pattering a shotgun is like developing any load for a centerfire or ML.
The combination of powder type, grain weight, over powder wad or not, size , Wad type, shot type, shot size, shot amount and shot over card.
Would highly advise a Lead Sled for pattern development.
So while I have mine dialed in for some combination of loads I’m sure the White could as well.
I do really like the ease of loading in not having to remove the chokes. Especially being afield.

Pattern
I just nailed a coyote this week at 50yds with #9 TSS /TK 2000, while turkey hunting.
Flat out dropped it. DRT.

Check LONGBOWSTEVE’s post

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/black-powder-toms.35765/#post-304479

Lastly how hard is it to locate a Laminate stocked Tominator in excellent condition, do they show up often, and what is a fair price ?

Best answered by someone other than me.
Good luck with your ML Shotgun search. They are fun to hunt with.

Thank you
gdc2

Last edited:
Appreciate the responses. I am thinking ease of loading would have to go to the Knight, weatherproof I think would also go to the Knight, I would think the White would give as good or better patterns with it tighter choke tubes, looks is subjective but I feel the Tominator is a better looking gun. Availability would have to go to the Knight... Tough decision but I think if I could find a reasonably priced used Tominator in excellent condition I would possibly give that a try.

Last edited:
That is what I’m looking for in a pattern!!!! Im going into my 12th season running tss in a 20ga Benelli . I like a dense core at @40yds. I’m working on a load of 90gr 777 a bpsg gas seal a tps41 wad 1.875 oz tss 8s or 9s. 18gr psb buffer. This knight tk2000 is going to be a keeper

I own both and shot both but it's been a while. The Tominator is light as a feather in comparison and I've never had a turkey survive the bark of either. I've loaded some huge shot charges in the TK as it just feels stronger but doing it makes it kick like a mule. Good luck on the hunt for them and I can tell ya, I won't give mine up until I can't walk the woods no more. If I had to choose only one, it would be the White!

I know this is an old post. But a good one.

Nice respectable post by C. Nimrod.
Does come down to Ford vs Chevy IMO.
So much is written about the TK’s heavy recoil.
What I don’t see is a written comparison of the same heavy charge that the TK can use in other ML SG’s. In this case of the original OP.

The Knight’s suggested load / loads. Bruisers IMO.

But as veteran turkey ML SG hunters know those heavy loads are not needed.

Recoil.
I’ve read and seen patterns with holes. The shooter thinks more shot is needed.
Shooter needs a better understanding of what’s happening of the load being discharged.
So back to the TK and why I like it.
Jug choked.
Can change chokes.
( XF, MOD , CYL )
Can use regular 12ga wads.
Don’t have to remove the XF choke to load with 12ga wad.

While I’m sure the Tommie is a fine ML SG , I prefer the TK.

Back