Whites for sale on other sites

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM54-120, You are 100% correct! That is all that was required to convert an M98 to a Thunderbolt.

That is sorta of the point im making. On Doc's website he has a pic of #00001 Elite Hunter....It has NO bolt handle cut out.
M98DocsCompSS50ScopeSling.jpg

The one for sale is a later model when parts were getting scarce. When they started using whatever receiver they could get their hands on is anyone's guess. Sure would be a neat rifle to own IF you had the needed ThunderBolt parts also.

Last edited:
If you had the need to shoot BH209 and 209 Primers. I never found the need for them as RWS #11 and Musket Caps not to mention 777 & Swiss meets all of my requirements.

I remember when the Thunderbolt came out and corresponding with Doc I was trying to decide on whether to buy the M98 or Thunderbolt. He said he would definitely go with the M98 as he saw no real need for the bolt, but was being pressured to come up with a rifle to handle 209 Primers as that was the latest fad back then. I'm pretty sure BH209 was not around at that time. Then if I really wanted to he could convert it by grinding out the receiver to handle the bolt and then I could switch back and forth (Bolt or Plunger). I'm glad I took his advice and went with the M98.

When correctly head spaced a 209 is virtually blowby free. That alone is worth it to me. Fouling excluding the bore is nearly zero. I can get 209s almost anywhere and for under $4/100. I only shoot real black or BH209 so crud ring is not an issue. I would love a Thunderbolt but not at the prices they sell for.

I wonder if its a Clerke or Criterion barrel?

Last edited:
RW claims they started selling M98 451s using Clerke and ended with Criterion. How much he really knows about White's suppliers i have no idea.

I bet it is a later model. I bought one like it through Tom in HI when white was almost out of business and were out of 98 actions.

Evening to All DWB members: Been into Whites not quite a year and I have bought several from members of this Forum. I was attracted to the White rifle after seeing 2 members of my shooting club using them one day at the range. I noticed how accurate both of their White rifles were and they let me handle their Whites and I saw how well made those White rifles were. I was hooked and started my quest on obtaining a White rifle and I was successful!! The White Model 91 .504 caliber I purchased from DWB member Dean Bowling was in excellent condition but then after reading comments on this Forum I learned that a White in .451 caliber was even more accurate so I obtained one of those with the help of DWB member ToyTruck. But I wanted another White a (Thunderbolt) and another DWB member (Phil Agello) sold me his and that White Thunderbolt is beautiful to look at and to hold and eventually I will shoot that White Thunderbolt.
So not to be disrespectful to any DWB member I disagree that the recent prices of Whites selling on GunBroker are stupid. I believe that the price of White rifles in very good to excellent shape will continue to rise!! Just my honest opinion !!!

Myself i can understand why theyve become so expensive with guys flipping them all the time . Prices are gonna go up especially for what it is , a semi custom rifle with history and reputation . My Super 91 410 was bought at a show for $150 and i know was a gift from above . When i can go to a public range and gather a crowd shooting groups @100 that measure .560 to .570's total dia bugholes with a 1x6 scope guys notice !!! Most varmint rifles cant do that . Fellas must be willing to pay for that too as they keep gettin sold !!! I will NEVER sell mine tho !!! These Whites are a incredible deal for any gun let alone a muzzleloader 30yrs old or not !!! The word is obviously out too.....

Evening to All DWB members: Been into Whites not quite a year and I have bought several from members of this Forum. I was attracted to the White rifle after seeing 2 members of my shooting club using them one day at the range. I noticed how accurate both of their White rifles were and they let me handle their Whites and I saw how well made those White rifles were. I was hooked and started my quest on obtaining a White rifle and I was successful!! The White Model 91 .504 caliber I purchased from DWB member Dean Bowling was in excellent condition but then after reading comments on this Forum I learned that a White in .451 caliber was even more accurate so I obtained one of those with the help of DWB member ToyTruck. But I wanted another White a (Thunderbolt) and another DWB member (Phil Agello) sold me his and that White Thunderbolt is beautiful to look at and to hold and eventually I will shoot that White Thunderbolt.
So not to be disrespectful to any DWB member I disagree that the recent prices of Whites selling on GunBroker are stupid. I believe that the price of White rifles in very good to excellent shape will continue to rise!! Just my honest opinion !!!

I see stupid as someone who would pay 1375.59 for a rifle that had no clear pics of the breech or barrel, plastic stock, no rear sight, cheap rings and bases, and no factory sling. I could see a .451 that was unfired or LNIB commanding that kind of money, but not that rifle. The auction prices can get as stupid as they want, it's fine with me. I have four S91 .451's.

I see stupid as someone who would pay 1375.59 for a rifle that had no clear pics of the breech or barrel, plastic stock, no rear sight, cheap rings and bases, and no factory sling. I could see a .451 that was unfired or LNIB commanding that kind of money, but not that rifle. The auction prices can get as stupid as they want, it's fine with me. I have four S91 .451's.
Looks like you're sittin' on a pile of cash.:cool:

Back